Start by marking “Tales for the Midnight Hour” as Want to Read:
Tales for the Midnight Hour

Tales for the Midnight Hour (Point Horror)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Terrifying Tales

These seventeen stories are guaranteed to keep you awake and shivering with fear. We dare you to read them alone, late at night. The moon is full. The clock strikes twelve. Don't be afraid. But what's that sound? Footsteps in the hall? It's just the dog. That creaking door? Merely the wind blowing. And is that a face at the window? Or is it just your imagin
Published May 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Tales for the Midnight Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales for the Midnight Hour

Gabrielle
I read this in about Grade 3, and still stories from it haunt me. It was probably one of the first really scary books I read, and it absolutley terrified me. I got it from our school library, after I saw a friend reading it. I remember sitting in a corner of the library, wide-eyed with horror, and not even talking to anyone at lunch because I was a traumatized wimp. I dreamed about it, and vividly remember the tales that affected me the most: One about a creepy windego grandmother, one about a t ...more
Kate
Mar 28, 2011 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Janina Majeran
Shelves: 2011, age-ya, horror
My friend Janina brought up this book when we were talking about books we'd read as teens (this, and Sweet Valley High). She remembered being really freaked out by the first story, and so we checked to see if any libraries still had this gem. Yep! My local town library, in fact. I told her to find out when this book had last been checked out (since we were teens back in the 1990s). She went one step further and checked the book out to me. Surprisingly, this book - first published in the late 70s ...more
Katie
This is a guilty-pleasure book. The type of book you curl up in bed with alone looking for a cheap thrill or adrenaline rush, yet feeling very cheesy and juvenile indeed. But alas, as you read, you realize the stories are quit disturbing, not your average "ghost stories." I read the book many years ago, as a child, and some of the stories have stayed with me for over 10 years now.
Andrew Huff
A favorite from my childhood--I reread this one again the other day. I initially picked this one up from someone back in third grade or so who got it at a book fair (remember those?).

I've got to say, for being so short and written for children, these stories are really pretty good. Most achieve a good deal of psychological tension and really stick in your head. My personal favorite is the one about the jigsaw puzzle and it's stuck with me since I first read it.

The only story I don't really care
Amy
Note: This review is for the original Tales for the Midnight Hour. For some reason it shows up under Tales for the Midnight Hour Volume 2, which is a different collection of stories by the same author.)

I spent Halloween with my 9 year old nephew and every night we would read a couple of stories in this book together by candlelight. This book was just the right level of scary for him with old classics such as the Black Velvet Ribbon but mysterious and unfamiliar stories such as The Train through
Diego Boyero
Tales for the midnight hour is a compilation of many stories — the stories are not related to each one. The book ranges from a woman haunted by her dead husband to a man eaten by a lizard to campers trying to cope with supernatural problems.
Within this book we can find the horror displayed in a non-exhaustive way — the boom doesn’t have the horror very developed, so it can be more scarier.
In my opinion the book can be better because the stories aren’t very interesting and also are not developed
Steve Schlutow
I loved this book.. I read it in elementary school (the scholastic book club, or whatever it was called).. For some reason, I still own this book.. I have no idea why I still possess this book that I received 30+ years ago in my 5th grade class (in the scholastic book box--it was so cool to receive books (presents) in school).. I guess I will pass it on to my kid--maybe he to will like it..
Erin
A perfect scary book for a child - but it was REALLY scary. I can't believe I got it from my school's book sale (when they used to send the flyers around). I still think about the jigsaw puzzle story sometimes....

Mine had a much more frightening cover - a skeleton, I believe.
Simran Saxena
I think that this story is really stories. I read this in about the 4th grade. It still haunts me and I am in 7th grade. I am really scared to read this at night but I still read this now! THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!! You should seriously read it if you love scary stories!!!!
Lydia
Sep 30, 2013 Lydia marked it as to-read
How do I read a book. I just downloaded this app today and I have no idea how to read the book:(
Julia Brumfield
This is a classic book to show the differences between the horror novels from the 1970s versus the modern day ones. The stories aren't all that gory although they may have some blood, some horror elements and of course plenty of death.

Unlike modern horror stories the true modern day horror aficionado will be disappointed to read these stories. Some of them you can figure out what is going to happen with the stories before you get too far into them (all of them are short stories) and others of
Fredrick Danysh
Here is a collection of short horror stories by J.B. Stampler for young adults. There is a wide range of plots in this small work and most of the stories can be read in minutes.
Kaila
This is cute but so short I feel like I'm missing things.....so many of the stories ended leaving me wondering what happened...but pretty good scare factor on some of them. Very cute book
Kristin
Jazlyn
Jul 16, 2008 Jazlyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes not-too-scary YA shorts.
Stories were pretty good, not too scary. Main problem I had was that the stories weren't very thorough. Nothing was ever explained in some stories. Sometimes it was just be like "and then a monster got him! boo!" Ok...what monster? why? haha

It was just very vague in some instances like the author was just in a hurry to get to the 'scary climax' without really building up a plot or backstory. I know they are just SHORT stories and that can be hard to do but still; the lack of plot kinda ruined t
Aurora
Porque leo libros para niños? por que me los regalan :3 hehe
Tantan
it was scary awesome!!!
Cata
I started reading JB Stamper when I was about 10. The stories are short but very creepy, especially to a young preteen. I don't know if I would have liked it if my first reading would have been now, but it solidified my interest in horror fiction and short stories.
Greta
Very short stories...very disturbing. Stories are not only creepy but have a level of pyschological disturbance that will haunt you (some you won't forget). Hey, I'm forty years old, and I still remember with vivid clarity the stories in this book.
Heidi
This was a Tice Kid Classic and I loved having it around to read. I never tired of reading these scary tales over and over. They were very well-written, too, now that I look back on them with an English major's analysis.
shilohD.
this is a scary book that leaves you wondering you'll make sure you've locked your doors at night and wonder whats lurking in the shadows....sometimes it even makes you wonder if you'll even wake up the next morning!!
Gabrielledewolfe
one of my favorite horror stories book i would recommend to read this book in the middle of the night with the lights turned down and a thunderstorm going on out side if you love horror you will love this
Amy
stories are truly scary. many of the stories horror moments i fondly remember with a shudder after all these years. i'm always keeping on eye out for the gooney birds.
Mike Bass
One of the books that made me a reader and got me into horror fiction in general. I doubt it would read as well to me now, but for a kid this gets a five.
Serena
This book scared the **** out of me when I read it as a kid. I still remember having nightmares of that bony hand left on the door of the carriage.
Jennie
I adored this book as a kid. I cherished the entire series. Even at 25 I still fondly remember some of these creepy little stories.
Peter
one from the school book lists (used to love those..). some classic little stories: "fright inn", "the ten claws"..
Stacy Simpson
I am still trying to figure out why I kept this book. The stories were nothing short of awful!
David
My second favorite ghost story collection for children.
  • The EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt, Vol. 1
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren
  • Wings
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Trolls
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Ghosts!: Ghostly Tales from Folklore
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • The Best Ghost Stories Ever
  • More Bones
  • Even More Tales to Give You Goosebumps: Ten Spooky Stories (Goosebumps Special Edition, No. 3)
  • Games and Puzzles from the Ice House (Magic Tree Hous Activity Book)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15) Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8) Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9) Polar Bear Patrol (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #13) Rocky Road Trip (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #20)