Tales For The Midnight Hour

Tales For The Midnight Hour (Point Horror)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Stories to scare you
Published May 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Gabrielle
I read this in about Grade 3, and still stories from it haunt me. It was probably one of the first really scary books I read, and it absolutley terrified me. I got it from our school library, after I saw a friend reading it. I remember sitting in a corner of the library, wide-eyed with horror, and not even talking to anyone at lunch because I was a traumatized wimp. I dreamed about it, and vividly remember the tales that affected me the most: One about a creepy windego grandmother, one about a t...more
Kate
Mar 28, 2011 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Janina Majeran
Shelves: 2011, age-ya, horror
My friend Janina brought up this book when we were talking about books we'd read as teens (this, and Sweet Valley High). She remembered being really freaked out by the first story, and so we checked to see if any libraries still had this gem. Yep! My local town library, in fact. I told her to find out when this book had last been checked out (since we were teens back in the 1990s). She went one step further and checked the book out to me. Surprisingly, this book - first published in the late 70s...more
Katie
This is a guilty-pleasure book. The type of book you curl up in bed with alone looking for a cheap thrill or adrenaline rush, yet feeling very cheesy and juvenile indeed. But alas, as you read, you realize the stories are quit disturbing, not your average "ghost stories." I read the book many years ago, as a child, and some of the stories have stayed with me for over 10 years now.
Simran Saxena
I think that this story is really stories. I read this in about the 4th grade. It still haunts me and I am in 7th grade. I am really scared to read this at night but I still read this now! THIS BOOK IS AWESOME!! You should seriously read it if you love scary stories!!!!
Lydia
Sep 30, 2013 Lydia marked it as to-read
How do I read a book. I just downloaded this app today and I have no idea how to read the book:(
Andrew Huff
A favorite from my childhood--I reread this one again the other day. I initially picked this one up from someone back in third grade or so who got it at a book fair (remember those?).

I've got to say, for being so short and written for children, these stories are really pretty good. Most achieve a good deal of psychological tension and really stick in your head. My personal favorite is the one about the jigsaw puzzle and it's stuck with me since I first read it.

The only story I don't really care...more
Julia Brumfield
This is a classic book to show the differences between the horror novels from the 1970s versus the modern day ones. The stories aren't all that gory although they may have some blood, some horror elements and of course plenty of death.

Unlike modern horror stories the true modern day horror aficionado will be disappointed to read these stories. Some of them you can figure out what is going to happen with the stories before you get too far into them (all of them are short stories) and others of...more
Jazlyn
Jul 16, 2008 Jazlyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes not-too-scary YA shorts.
Stories were pretty good, not too scary. Main problem I had was that the stories weren't very thorough. Nothing was ever explained in some stories. Sometimes it was just be like "and then a monster got him! boo!" Ok...what monster? why? haha

It was just very vague in some instances like the author was just in a hurry to get to the 'scary climax' without really building up a plot or backstory. I know they are just SHORT stories and that can be hard to do but still; the lack of plot kinda ruined t...more
Aurora
Porque leo libros para niños? por que me los regalan :3 hehe
Tantan
it was scary awesome!!!
Steve Schlutow
I loved this book.. I read it in elementary school (the scholastic book club, or whatever it was called).. For some reason, I still own this book.. I have no idea why I still possess this book that I received 30+ years ago in my 5th grade class (in the scholastic book box--it was so cool to receive books (presents) in school).. I guess I will pass it on to my kid--maybe he to will like it..
Erin
A perfect scary book for a child - but it was REALLY scary. I can't believe I got it from my school's book sale (when they used to send the flyers around). I still think about the jigsaw puzzle story sometimes....

Mine had a much more frightening cover - a skeleton, I believe.
Cata
I started reading JB Stamper when I was about 10. The stories are short but very creepy, especially to a young preteen. I don't know if I would have liked it if my first reading would have been now, but it solidified my interest in horror fiction and short stories.
Greta
Very short stories...very disturbing. Stories are not only creepy but have a level of pyschological disturbance that will haunt you (some you won't forget). Hey, I'm forty years old, and I still remember with vivid clarity the stories in this book.
Heidi
This was a Tice Kid Classic and I loved having it around to read. I never tired of reading these scary tales over and over. They were very well-written, too, now that I look back on them with an English major's analysis.
shilohD.
this is a scary book that leaves you wondering you'll make sure you've locked your doors at night and wonder whats lurking in the shadows....sometimes it even makes you wonder if you'll even wake up the next morning!!
Gabrielledewolfe
one of my favorite horror stories book i would recommend to read this book in the middle of the night with the lights turned down and a thunderstorm going on out side if you love horror you will love this
Amy
stories are truly scary. many of the stories horror moments i fondly remember with a shudder after all these years. i'm always keeping on eye out for the gooney birds.
Mike Bass
One of the books that made me a reader and got me into horror fiction in general. I doubt it would read as well to me now, but for a kid this gets a five.
Serena
This book scared the **** out of me when I read it as a kid. I still remember having nightmares of that bony hand left on the door of the carriage.
Jennie
I adored this book as a kid. I cherished the entire series. Even at 25 I still fondly remember some of these creepy little stories.
Gekko
one from the school book lists (used to love those..). some classic little stories: "fright inn", "the ten claws"..
Stacy Simpson
I am still trying to figure out why I kept this book. The stories were nothing short of awful!
David
My second favorite ghost story collection for children.
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kemy
Kemy marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • More Bones
  • The EC Archives: Tales from the Crypt, Vol. 1
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • Spirit
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories for Late at Night
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones
  • The Paradise Prophecy
Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15) Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8) Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9) Polar Bear Patrol (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #13) Rocky Road Trip (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #20)