Start by marking “Plants of the Rocky Mountains” as Want to Read:
Plants of the Rocky Mountains

Plants of the Rocky Mountains

Over 1300 species of trees, shrubs, wildflowers, grasses, ferns, mosses and lichens are described and illustrated. Notes on origin of name, ecology, native uses, edibility and similar species are included, as are color-coded sections to allow for quick identification.
Published April 1st 1998 by Lone Pine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Plants of the Rocky Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plants of the Rocky Mountains

Toni
Sep 30, 2009 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: landscape
This book is 4.5 stars, unfortunately that's not a choice here. This is a very useful guide -- for me the amount of detail was just right, and it gained a star from the addition of an ethnobotanical section. My only issues: 1) the plant listings are incomplete and the photos are often not good for identification (like trees with leaf closeups but no overall form, or vice versa; which would be fine for a small book to take hiking. However, 2) the book is a little too big to carry everywhere. I wi ...more
Alex
Oct 18, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plants
A great book for identifying plants in the Rocky Mountains. It is not all-encompassing, but that is hard to find in any ID guide. It is great that all of the plants have pictures next to them to give a visual aid, rather than just following a key. Unfortunately, many of the pictures are small or unclear.

I enjoyed the tidbits added about edibility and uses in native cultures. It added just a little more information than the typical guide.
Debbie Teashon
Jan 26, 2016 Debbie Teashon rated it it was amazing
I bought this book when I was doing unrelated research in Wyoming and wanted to identify the native plants of the region where I visited. A similar book by Pojar (one of the authors for Plants of the Rocky Mountains) for NW natives has been my #1 field guide back home. I wasn't disappointed by this one either. When I took a break from my research I took this field guide and camera and explored the region's wildflowers.
Bethy Miller
Nov 10, 2007 Bethy Miller rated it liked it
I carried this book with me everywhere on our trip this summer and Gordon can attest to me whipping it out at the sight of any slightly interesting looking flower. Often it had what I was looking for, but it often didn't. I feel like it was abridged. I guess I should just appreciate the pretty pictures and bring Lesica next time.
Scott Cox
Jan 17, 2016 Scott Cox rated it really liked it
This is a fairly extensive guide that covers trees, shrubs, wildflowers, aquatics, grass-like plants, ferns & allies, brophytes and lichens of the Rocky Mountains. Obviously, given this large scope, it only includes the most common species of each group. I used this guide to help identify one of my favorite trip flowers: the beautiful yellow Glacier Lily (Erythronium grandiflorum).
Kari
Jul 29, 2010 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
This is a GREAT book. I love taking it camping and identifying different wildflowers and plants with my kids. We can find the name of the plant by searching for the picture of the plant or flower in the book. Then we can read about its characteristics, whether or not it is edible, and much more. I have learned so much about the native plants in my area and in our favorite camp spots.
Teri
Jul 29, 2013 Teri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: outdoors
Super good plant guide! Love that is gives some uses of the plants, history, and is user friendly. I'll for sure be purchasing this one.
Winfield Sterling
Winfield Sterling rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Kieranrobert
Kieranrobert rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2009
Clara
Clara rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2017
David Miller
David Miller rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Jessica Dabell
Jessica Dabell rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Landon S Gaisford
Landon S Gaisford rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2010
Sean Murphy
Sean Murphy rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Dan Martel
Dan Martel rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2015
Karissa Barrett
Karissa Barrett rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2008
Michael Schwager
Michael Schwager rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Alonzo
Alonzo rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Marmot
Marmot rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Vermicious Knids
Vermicious Knids rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Erik Mattson
Erik Mattson rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Wendie Warner
Wendie Warner rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015