Their Skeletons Speak: Kennewick Man and the Paleoamerican World (Exceptional Social Studies Titles for Intermediate Grades) (Exceptional Social Studies Title for Intermediate Grades)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Book by Sally M. Walker, Douglas W. Owsley
Published August 1st 2012 by Carolrhoda Books

Michelle Pegram
Two young men who are trying to get a good view of some boat races wade into the water near Kennewick, Washington and literally step on the skeletal remains of a paleoamerican over 9000 years old. This discovery sets off a political battle that nearly derails the knowledge that it was possible to glean from this man who came to be known as the Kennewick Man.

This fascinating look at forensic anthropology takes the reader on a journey from discovery to dating to the daily life of a man who lived...more
Rachelle
Full color pictures and illustrations lend visual appeal to this book about the discovery of unidentified human bones in the Columbia River in Washington. Readers will come to understand what scientists look for when they are studying bones for identification. Length of bones, condition of teeth, postmortem erosion are all pieces of a puzzle that can tell a story once assembled. Large chunks of text may discourage some readers but the photographs are fascinating with informative captions that le...more
Jim Erekson
A remarkable book from Lerner. Lerner's history involves a 1959 start with their main imprint which became best known for its photo-based nonfiction series books. This imprint, CarolRhoda, has been around almost just as long (1969) but focuses on individual picturebooks of both nonfiction and fiction, instead of series books. They also own Millbrook since 2004, which has both some interesting series and some great stand-alone books.

The production of this book screamed National Geographic. The o...more
Heather
Sally Walker's books are always well done, and this is no exception. I've read a number of books that talk about Kennewick Man/the Ancient One, and I always get derailed by the controversy between scientists and Native American tribes. Fortunately, this book doesn't do that. Yes, it mentions the events and the feelings on both sides, and it does it in a very tasteful way. But mostly it just focuses on what we have learned from studying Kennewick Man. The thing that makes this book most interesti...more
Kathleen
The events surrounding the discovery and later investigations into the paleolithic skeleton called Kennewick Man are woven into a more general history of early man in the United States making clear their significance. What is most fascinating about this introduction to paleoarcheology in the U.S. is the way interpretations have changed over time, with advances in technology and sheer leaps of imagination. Forensic clues are a big part of this kind of investigation and the authors (including a Sm...more
marin
market research

3 1/2 stars. Follows the bumpy, forensic path of identifying Kennewick Man's bones.

Limited booktalking appeal. High quality paper and photographs. Narrative is not linear which disrupts the flow. Example of interjection that detracts from the story: "We must always remember Arch Lake Woman was more than bones and teeth. Like us, she felt happiness, sadness, and perhaps, curiosity. Had she wondered about her world? What had she and her people believed about death Did they believe...more
Anne
Beginning with the 1996 discovery of the Kennewick Man, this book explores the science of working with prehistoric remains and the clues that can be gathered from them to divine what life might have been like in that era. It goes on to look at other discoveries and what we have learned from those as well. Lots of photographs and illustrations to add interest. Text is dense, but authors do a good job keeping out too much of the scientific jargon. An emphasis is placed on how many people...more
Angie
Sally Walker does a wonderful job explaining the discovery of Kennewick Man and what was discovered from his remains. She writes on a level that anyone can understand and she provides enough scientific and historical information to make the subject really interesting. I especially liked how she wove the discoveries of other Paleoamerican remains into the narrative. She also provides lots of information and documentation for the discovery with the back matter of the book.
Mark Flowers
Every Bone Tells a Story, Written in Bone, Their Skeletons Speak -- looks like we need a new metaphor for titles about archaeology. Title aside, this is a great book about Kennewick Man, though it does not rise to the great heights of Rubalcaba's Every Bone (which, incidentally, contained a chapter on Kennewick).

Have I mentioned how much I love Walker? I do so here: http://crossreferencing.wordpress.com...
Edward Sullivan
Collaborating with a Smithsonian anthropologist, Sally Walker once again delves deeply into the worlds of archeaology, physical anthropology, and forensic science. A fascinating, insightful, handsomely designed and illustrated book though not quite as compelling as Walker's Written in Bone.
Carrie Shaurette
While it can be intriguing to read about the process of extracting information through human remains, the narrative here gets too bogged down in the scientific details. This would be a tough sell to kids not already interested in archeology and anthropology.
Susan
Another awesome book from Sally Walker! Even with my interest in archaeology, I still learned a lot! (and kids interested in other fields of science, geology, forensics, art, etc. might enjoy how all the disciplines come together...)
Some thoughts here about this book and why it's a great companion book to Jim Murphy's The Giant and How He Humbugged America: http://crossreferencing.wordpress.com...
Allison
A good intro to paleoamerican archaeology. The primary focus is Kennewick man but also covers either discoveries. the authors explain the scientists conclusions and also the reasoning. Good book.
Overall enjoyable but a bit dense for children IMHO. I wish there had been more definitions of certain anthropology terms and professions, but the story totally sucked me in.
Faith Fishcrazy
Very interesting book. Really enjoyed the modern explanations of modern techniques used to find out all this information from mere mangled bones!
Cassandra
Easy to read and excellent illustrations, it was very informative and expanded my knowledge on an interesting topic.
Jeanne
Quite interesting. Since I always wanted to be an archaeologist but wasn't smart enough! I learn via books.
Beth
There are quite a few assumptions in this book that are presented as fact, taking away the final star.
Ronda Nissen
A tough but interesting read, quite informative
Mark W.
Fascinating. Well illustrated. Quick read.
Lee-ann
Apr 10, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
595AJ_Sharonda
595AJ_Sharonda marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Charmie McKinney
Charmie McKinney marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
208138
Sally M. Walker has written science books for children, including Earthquakes, an NSTA/CBC Best Science Trade Book of 1997. She lives in DeKalb, IL.
More about Sally M. Walker...
Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917 Secrets of a Civil War Submarine: Solving the Mysteries of the H.L. Hunley Freedom Song: The Story of Henry "Box" Brown Druscilla's Halloween