Start by marking “Forensic Identification: Putting a Name and Face on Death” as Want to Read:
Forensic Identification: Putting a Name and Face on Death

Forensic Identification: Putting a Name and Face on Death

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Examines how forensic scientists identify victims and criminals by studying autopsies, facial reconstructions, fingerprints, and DNA evidence.
Published October 1st 2012 by Twenty-First Century Books (CT) (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Forensic Identification, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forensic Identification

readknitread
Teens who like the ick factor are going to like this book. Lots of pictures of dead bodies and skeletons. The book does a good job of explaining the process for IDing bodies. It also has some case files that keep the interest level up. It also has an index which I love.
Lily
Feb 14, 2013 Lily rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review originally featured on Bookluvrs Haven.

Alright, so to be fair, when I requested this book I didn't realize it was a science title meant for higher grades. I thought it was for adults. After all, it speaks of forensic science and suspicious death. But it is in fact an introductory sort of book about forensics. Like a Forensics 101 book.

Though the subject matter was interesting, I was pretty bored some of the time. Since I have a College degree in Police Studies, I was familiar with a lot t
Alicia
Sep 16, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, adult, odd, nonfiction
This neat book is almost as good as Death that I read a few months back. What it definitely does a good job of is detailing scientific issues relating to identifying dead and decayed bodies, complete with some gruesome photos and cool case scenarios. If kids weren't interested in forensic science they sure might be after this book!
Jessica Meier
Murray, E. A. (2013). Forensic identification: putting a name and face on death. Twenty-First Century Books.
Review Source: School Library Journal; Nov2012, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p124-124, 1/5p
SOL Correlation:
• BIO.5 - The student will investigate and understand common mechanisms of inheritance and protein synthesis. Key concepts include i) use, limitations, and misuse of genetic information; and j) exploration of the impact of DNA technologies.
• LS.2 The student will investigate and understand that
Sue
Mar 14, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Sweet and to-the-point. Loved it.

I loved the REAL--and original--pictures. Didn't sugar-coat it, easy-to-read only because the book was thin.

I enjoyed the "case files," but OOPS, big mistake on page 48. It won't detract from my rating but . . . a certain sentence is included twice, word for word. I had never encountered this before. To wit: "She noted healing sockets in the upper and lower jaw that suggested all four wisdom teeth had been extracted shortly before this man's death."
Anne
Apr 04, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
With so many television shows covering the topic of forensic identification, it is nice to finally have a book that delves into the science behind the matter. You will learn about DNA testing, facial reconstruction, fingerprinting, and more from Dr. Elizabeth A. Murray, an educator and forensic scientist with over twenty –five years of experience in the field. The best part of this book, although a bit gruesome, is that it provides cases files which help readers directly apply the scientific met ...more
Jenny
Jun 05, 2013 Jenny rated it did not like it
I have read several books on forensics, and stock several forensics books in my classroom library. None of the books in my classroom library have graphic pictures of the dead in them, and the adult books I have are only sparsely illustrated. I doubt a middle school library COULD stock this book, which is listed as a juvenile, and I question whether a high school library would stock it, although it might be more appropriate there.
Mandy Chilcote
Jul 03, 2013 Mandy Chilcote rated it really liked it
CSI in book form for teens--engaging informational text. Highly recommend for students
Catherine
Aug 13, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
This was another interesting book on forensics.
Kimberlee
Nov 17, 2013 Kimberlee rated it really liked it
Engaging non-fiction for students.
PWRL
Apr 10, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Robin Warnke
Robin Warnke marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Mia Ped
Mia Ped rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Mindely Perez
Mindely Perez marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Huijie Feng
Huijie Feng rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2016
Emily Hratchian
Emily Hratchian marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jan 15, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Ashot Madoyan
Ashot Madoyan marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Averi
Averi marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Anand Mugadlimath
Anand Mugadlimath marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Wessam Abughonim
Wessam Abughonim marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Peyton
Peyton rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Courtney Rose Sampson
Courtney Rose Sampson marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Pandanoble
Pandanoble is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dr. Elizabeth A. Murray is a forensic anthropologist and also Professor of Biology at Mount St. Joseph University, where she teaches doctoral-level human gross anatomy and undergraduate-level anatomy and physiology, as well as forensic science.

"With nearly 30 years in the field, I guess I was 'forensic' before it was cool! I find forensic science to be a fascinating subject that incorporates law,
More about Elizabeth A. Murray...