Start by marking “Forensic Identification: Putting a Name and Face on Death” as Want to Read:
Forensic Identification: Putting a Name and Face on Death

Forensic Identification: Putting a Name and Face on Death

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Examines how forensic scientists identify victims and criminals by studying autopsies, facial reconstructions, fingerprints, and DNA evidence.
Published October 1st 2012 by Twenty-First Century Books (CT) (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Forensic Identification, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forensic Identification

Lily
Review originally featured on Bookluvrs Haven.

Alright, so to be fair, when I requested this book I didn't realize it was a science title meant for higher grades. I thought it was for adults. After all, it speaks of forensic science and suspicious death. But it is in fact an introductory sort of book about forensics. Like a Forensics 101 book.

Though the subject matter was interesting, I was pretty bored some of the time. Since I have a College degree in Police Studies, I was familiar with a lot t
Alicia
This neat book is almost as good as Death that I read a few months back. What it definitely does a good job of is detailing scientific issues relating to identifying dead and decayed bodies, complete with some gruesome photos and cool case scenarios. If kids weren't interested in forensic science they sure might be after this book!
readknitread
Teens who like the ick factor are going to like this book. Lots of pictures of dead bodies and skeletons. The book does a good job of explaining the process for IDing bodies. It also has some case files that keep the interest level up. It also has an index which I love.
Jessica Meier
Murray, E. A. (2013). Forensic identification: putting a name and face on death. Twenty-First Century Books.
Review Source: School Library Journal; Nov2012, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p124-124, 1/5p
SOL Correlation:
• BIO.5 - The student will investigate and understand common mechanisms of inheritance and protein synthesis. Key concepts include i) use, limitations, and misuse of genetic information; and j) exploration of the impact of DNA technologies.
• LS.2 The student will investigate and understand that
Sue
Sweet and to-the-point. Loved it.

I loved the REAL--and original--pictures. Didn't sugar-coat it, easy-to-read only because the book was thin.

I enjoyed the "case files," but OOPS, big mistake on page 48. It won't detract from my rating but . . . a certain sentence is included twice, word for word. I had never encountered this before. To wit: "She noted healing sockets in the upper and lower jaw that suggested all four wisdom teeth had been extracted shortly before this man's death."
Anne
With so many television shows covering the topic of forensic identification, it is nice to finally have a book that delves into the science behind the matter. You will learn about DNA testing, facial reconstruction, fingerprinting, and more from Dr. Elizabeth A. Murray, an educator and forensic scientist with over twenty –five years of experience in the field. The best part of this book, although a bit gruesome, is that it provides cases files which help readers directly apply the scientific met ...more
Jenny
I have read several books on forensics, and stock several forensics books in my classroom library. None of the books in my classroom library have graphic pictures of the dead in them, and the adult books I have are only sparsely illustrated. I doubt a middle school library COULD stock this book, which is listed as a juvenile, and I question whether a high school library would stock it, although it might be more appropriate there.
Mandy Chilcote
CSI in book form for teens--engaging informational text. Highly recommend for students
Catherine
This was another interesting book on forensics.
Kimberlee
Engaging non-fiction for students.
PWRL
Apr 10, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Courtney Rose Sampson
Courtney Rose Sampson marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Pandanoble
Pandanoble marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Robert Daigle
Robert Daigle marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Wendy
Wendy added it
Apr 12, 2014
Melisa Cavadas
Melisa Cavadas marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
LibraryLady
LibraryLady marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Heather Erickson
Heather Erickson marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Brighton High
Brighton High is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2013
Death: Corpses, Cadavers, and Other Grave Matters Forensic History: Crimes, Frauds, and Scandals Trails of Evidence How Forensic Science Works Sensory Integration: Theory and Practice Evolving Biology