Start by marking “Hannah's Way” as Want to Read:
Preview

Hannah's Way

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Published January 1st 2012 by Kar-Ben Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hannah's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah's Way

Lauren
Text to self:

This book reminded me of my own experiences with knowing my students and keeping their religion, cultures, and overall lives in mind. I was actually surprised that the teacher in this book was not familiar with Hannah's religious affiliation or with the restrictions. That would be something I would research if I had a student that was an Orthodox Jew.

Questions:

1. What religion does Hannah's family practice?
2. Why do you think this story is called Hannah's Way?
3. What would you h
Jessica
I don't ever review books that I read to my kids, but this one was particularly interesting. It's about a Jewish girl during the depression who moves to a place where there are no Jews. She is a school child and the kids are going to have a picnic on the Jewish Sabbath. (Saturday) She cannot attend because she can't go there in a car on the Sabbath. She feels embarrassed to say why, but she wants to go really badly. Finally, she tells the teacher and there is an unexpected wonderful outcome. The ...more
Tina
Reading Level: Pre-K & Primary
Genre: Picture Book, Historical Fiction
Review: This book follows Hannah, a young Jewish girl living in a primarily Christian community in Minnesota. Set in the Depression era, this simple story is based around the fact that Orthodox Jews do not ride in cars on Saturdays. In order to attend the class picnic, Hannah must reveal her cultural differences to her class. In the end, she is supported by her classmates. This book could be a good conversation starter for
Lauren Kilmer
Audience: Primary

The genres I selected for this book are historical fiction, and realistic fiction. I believe this text is historical fiction because it is drawn from the writer's imagination, but it is true to life in some period of the past. Specifically, this book is inspired from a story about a Jewish girl that was part of an exhibit at the Minnesota History Center entitled "Unpacking the Prairie: Jewish Women in the Upper Midwest". This book falls under the genre of realistic fiction as we
Stacey
Hannah's Way by Linda Glaser

Audience: Excellent book to introduce the idea of acceptance towards other cultures/religions/ethnicities to young children. This book is great for children in kindergarten through second grade, due to the simplicity of the story.

Appeal: Young children will enjoy the illustrations, depicting realistic classroom and recess scenes. The story will pull at older children's emotional side when they learn that Hannah's father will not make the exception to allow his daughter to go against their relig
Allison
I picked this one up at the library initially because the cover caught my eye. Then I read the blurb on the book jacket and I was intrigued. Hannah's Way tells of a young girl who is the sole Jewish child in her class. Her family has only recently moved to Northern Minnesota after her father lost his job during the Depression, so she desperately wants to fit in and make friends. She has the perfect opportunity to do so when the class picnic is announced. Unfortunately, it's being held on a Satur ...more
Bridgette Ramos
This book looked like it was in the 1900s and I based that assumption on the way the girl is dressed on the cover picture. This story is about an orthodox Jewish girl named Hannah who tries to find a way to go with her class on a field trip although it lands on a Saturday, which for Jews is the Sabbath day, which means it's there day to rest, so they can't drive or be in a car.
Paul Farbman
Mar 26, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Second-Third Grade
Recommended to Paul by: Terry Benton
This story about Hannah, the only Orthodox Jewish student in her school, is a great book to share with any student who might have trouble fitting into school because of a cultural difference. Although my family is not as strict as Hannah's, I can personally relate to this story as I was once the only Conservative Jewish student in my school.
Naomi
Jun 11, 2013 Naomi added it
Shelves: primary

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Award: 2013 Sydney Taylor Award

Text to Self Connection:
In this book Hannah is a new student and is trying to make friends. Her class is going to have a picnic on Saturday, but Hannah is afraid she can't go. She is an orthodox Jew and not allowed to ride in cars on Saturdays. I am able to connect to this book because as a child my family moved around a lot. There were many times when I was the new student and trying to find ways to make friends. Hannah is
Shelli
When a book moves someone to tears you know it is a good one. Hannah and her family recently moved to a new town, a town where she is the only Orthodox Jew. When the teacher announces that the class is having a picnic at the park on Saturday, Hannah can not wait to go and make new friends. However, her families faith does not permit working or driving in a car on Saturday, and the park is two miles away. Hannah's parents say she can walk to the park as long as she can find someone to walk with. ...more
Alice
This is an excellent book (As you already know 4 stars is pretty good for me) This is about an Orthodox Jewish Girl who moved from Minneapolis to a small town in Northern Minnesota. As you might already know, I have a special place in my heart for the Jewish people. Hannah can't go to the class picnic on Saturday because that is their Holy Day. Orthodox Jews won't drive on their Sabbath, and though Hannah is new to a school and desperately wants friends-she is afraid she will be further ostraciz ...more
Shayne Cope
Very cute book. I felt bad for Hannah's predicament. Very heartwarming of the kindness of the classmates.
Jayna
Ages 4 and up

Hannah has moved to a new town where she is the only Jewish girl in school. She is worried that no one will understand that she can't go to the class picnic in a car because she is not allowed to ride in cars on Saturdays. When she asks her teacher if someone will walk with her to the park so that she can go to the picnic she asks the class and everyone volunteers to walk with her.

This is a good story about being included. It would be good for parents to read to their children to
Hannah Jefferson
This text and its beautiful oil-paint illustrations tell the story of Hannah, an Orthodox Jewish girl going to school in the early 1920s. The teacher plans a class picnic on Saturday, and when she finds out that she cannot ride in a car because it is the Sabbath, she initially sulks. However, she soon thinks of a wonderful alternative, and her classmates go above and beyond in the heartwarming ending.

This book can be used to teach about tolerance of differences as well as about different religio
Amanda
This historical fiction title about Hannah, an Orthodox Jew, will have your attention from the start. Hannah is new to this small midwest town during the depression, and wants desperately to make new friends at the school picnic. The only problem Hannah has is that she has no way to get to the picnic because she is not allowed to ride in cars on Saturdays. The illustrations in this story are beautiful and readers will enjoy this tale of acceptance and respect for others and their beliefs.
Pam Moore

Genre: Realistic Historical Fiction

Quote: "Hannah lay on her bed and sobbed. It was hard enough being new and having no friends. Now she would have to miss the class picnic, too." Page 9.

Rationale: The words are simple, direct, and clear. Most of us have thrown ourselves onto our beds sobbing because we felt friendless or had to miss a special event. (I think I did that yesterday . . . Just joking! : )
Barb Keister
Hannah is the lone Orthodox Jewish girl in her community and longs to make friends. This story takes place during the Depression, but the historical setting is really not developed or part of the story. It's often challenging to find historical fiction for early grades, but the plot is simple enough for young reader's to follow. Author's note at the end of the book explains the inspiration for the book.
Sandy Brehl
The author's note reveals this is based on a true story. When an Orthodox Jewish girl finds herself living in a town with no other Jews, she fears her classmates will tease her about her practices (no driving/riding in cars on Saturday. When she finally explains her problem to the teacher the entire class volunteers to walk with her instead of riding to the Saturday picnic.
Maureen
Jan 25, 2013 Maureen marked it as to-read
Shelves: award-winner
2013 winner of the prestigious Sydney Taylor Book Award. The awards were announced at the Mid-Winter Meeting of the School, Synagogue and Community Center Division of the Association of Jewish Libraries. The Sydney Taylor Book Award honors new books for children and teens that exemplify the highest literary standards while authentically portraying the Jewish experience.
Melissa
I read the ending, and thought, "Well, that's nice, but it's probably not realistic given the time period," and then read the author's note explaining the whole book--ending and all--was based on a true story. Nice to be wrong sometimes.
Julia
A very simple story about Hannah, an Orthodox Jew, in small town Minnesota in 1932. This book addresses the alienation she feels because she is new in town and different. Nice illustrations.
Jill Ratzan
Independent of the almost anti-Holocaust theme, I love how the time-setting is established - the date is written on the blackboard in the first illustration!
Jen
sweet book with sweet illustrations highlighting our insecurity of being different and showing that sometimes other people will surprise us!
Benji Martin
Picture books don't make me cry that often, but this did a little bit at the end.
Michele Darmanin
Michele Darmanin marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Marni
Marni marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty Bridge to America It's Fall Not a Buzz to Be Found: Insects in Winter Wonderful Worms