Start by marking “The Day After Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
The Day After Tomorrow

The Day After Tomorrow

THE BEGINNING OF THE END: It's a fiercely hot summer, so hot that the north pole's heat record is broken by fifty degrees. Massive ice melt stuns the world as open ocean appears at the pole for the first time in living memory. Deep under the Atlantic Ocean, currents crucial to life react, dropping south--and suddenly, storms of unprecedented ferocity start exploding over ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Published May 11th 2010 by Pocket Star (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Day After Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day After Tomorrow

Richard Derus
Aug 12, 2016 Richard Derus rated it really liked it
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW inspired my list, 5 Snowy Literary Escapes from this Summer of Climate Change Horror http://tinyurl.com/h6ca8ca Taking the "chill" in "chill out" seriously! #BeachReads
Melissa
Dec 18, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
This almost reads like a transcription of the movie. Either the author worked really carefully with the film's developers, or this is one case where the movie stayed true to the book. There was very little (if anything) that was different about the book, though I liked getting abit more insight into the characters. I'm usually disappointed after reading a book that had been turned into a movie (when I've seen the movie first), but in this case, I was satisfied.
Harmony
Sep 20, 2012 Harmony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this right before the movie came out, and in comparison to the movie, this book was so much better. I give this "5 stars" because I still remember quite a lot about the book. I guess you could say it left an impression.
Asuka0278
Sep 07, 2010 Asuka0278 rated it did not like it
There is so much geologically and scientifically WRONG with this book/movie that it's laughable.
Carlotta*
I loved the movie for the father/son relationship and it was nice to get to know a little better the characters, especially Jack and Sam, thanks to the book.
There are a couple of scenes described that were not seen in the movie.

My favorite quote, which I consider amazing.
(view spoiler)
Matthew Li
Oct 02, 2009 Matthew Li rated it it was amazing
This book was almost following everything in the movie. Which is why I like it so much. The Day After Tomorrow is my most favorite movie of all time. Roland emmerich's other movies like 10,000 B.C. and Godzilla weren't really good, but The Day After Tomorrow was the best film ever. The book has all the feelings the movie gave and I was glad to read this.
Veru Frukešů
Sep 02, 2016 Veru Frukešů rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naprosto ujizdim na filmu, takze precist si knizku (jakmile jsem zjistila teda, ze je knizka) sem musela! ... Jedna se pouze o sepsany scenar, ale zase to ma neco do sebe... Miluju ten pribeh ❤
M&rcu$ #u+chin$
Jan 06, 2011 M&rcu$ #u+chin$ rated it really liked it
I read the book and the movie. The movie is better because it seems to have more action. I say it is non fiction because this could actually happen.
Patty Abrams
Jan 30, 2014 Patty Abrams rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Big storm. A second ice age. Good movie too.
Ezm
Feb 24, 2012 Ezm rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
The Day After tomorrow is about a bunch of disasters that would ultimately lead to the next ice age. The novel follows climatologist Jack Hall, who tried to warn people of the approaching peril, and a variety of other characters including Jack's son. Jack must not only find a way to reverse the rampant ecological destruction that is transforming the world into a frigid wasteland, but also rescue his rebellious son, who is one of the millions trapped in the icy depths of a frozen New York City.

It
Cristian
Mar 16, 2013 Cristian rated it really liked it
Shelves: apocalyptic
If you are a true fan of the disaster/end-of-the-world scenarios you MUST read this book AND see the movie.

If you can pass/ignore the personal drama from Sam's perspective and the not so interesting love story you got the perfect book.

This is not a book about man versus nature but about nature versus man.

Even if the book seems to start a bit slow and you might get a bit dizzy about the number of secondary/non-important characters don't give up on it It's as good as the movie.

You even get bit of
Melissa Cunning
Jul 02, 2016 Melissa Cunning rated it really liked it
While the science conversations were just as hard to understand as they are in the movie, I would have to say that this is the first time I have seen such a perfect depiction of a movie. The book and the movie are exactly the same! Nothin was changed. You hardly ever see that.
It makes me wonder what came first? From the way this reads, it seems to me like the movie might have been made and then the book was written around it. But I can't be sure.
Still loved this book though. This is a story that
Lilli
Mar 15, 2013 Lilli rated it liked it
I saw the movie years ago and loved it. I'm rating this book just off the book, and really tried not to think of the movie. I liked the book and thought it was entertaining to read. I didn't like the writing from Sam's point of view. Using the word 'like' doesn't make me feel like I'm in a teenager's shoes understanding his thoughts. It was annoying to read from Sam's perspective, thus the 3 stars. I try to read every book I'm given as a present, so thought "why not?". Easy read so I recommend ...more
Nesrin L.
Nov 20, 2012 Nesrin L. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-2-pfennig
I would have given this 3.5 Stars if possible.
After reading Orwell's depressing "1984" I was (view spoiler)

And if some parts of this book hadn't been so schmaltzy & the science wouldn't have been so flawed (just as in the movie), I might have been tempted to even give it a 4 Stars rating.
Skylar
May 03, 2013 Skylar rated it really liked it
I got this book, thinking that the movie had been based on it. Nope, it's a novelization of the movie. This concept is alien to me (and somewhat disheartening). However, it was well-written, and it's been years since I saw the movie, so it still had a lot of punch. It was an enjoyable and quick read, but I feel a little dumb for reading a book version of a movie.
Brendan
Nov 07, 2007 Brendan rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read
This was a very quick read. I read this book before I saw the movie. I thought it gave me a better insight into the characters when I finally saw the movie. I believe the book was even a little bit better than the movie was.
Ken
Aug 09, 2016 Ken rated it liked it
Shelves: library, thriller
Enjoyable thriller based on Strieber's theories/vision of what is to come. It followed the general formula of making certain people unlikable before they get killed, so that the reader doesn't feel too bad. The ending with the wolves and the microcell was very exciting.
Leslie Stokes
May 17, 2012 Leslie Stokes rated it really liked it
This was a rare case where I saw the movie and then read the book because I enjoyed the movie so much. I always enjoy "man against nature" stories and this was no exception. The science of super-storms is fascinating to me, but I hope I don't ever have to experience one!
Fay
Aug 02, 2016 Fay rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I'm only really giving this three stars because this is a topic that interests me and because it's easy to read. Not sure which came first, the movie or the book, but it's very similar to the movie and therefore the time frame of events is rather unrealistic.
Michelle
Aug 21, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
This book is exactly like the movie. I now need to read the The global warming to see the differences between movie and book.
Oksana
This is bad, just as I expected (my reason is that I got this book for a really, really, ridiculously small price). I'd rather go and rewatch the movie for a millionth time.
Adam Sharpe
Aug 25, 2011 Adam Sharpe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
This book was soooooooooo cool an awesome nonstop action book. One of my knew most favorite books of all-time!!!!!
Frank_nasch
Dec 17, 2009 Frank_nasch rated it it was amazing
If you want to know the bizzare (but inaccurate!) effects of global warming, this book is for you. Great entertainment, lousy science. But worth to read...? Without any doubt!
Balaaji SP
Balaaji SP rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Kolin
Kolin rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2009
A
A rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Belinda Thompson
Belinda Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Sophie H
Sophie H rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Tiff Franks
Tiff Franks rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
  • The Coming Global Superstorm
  • The New Madrid Run
  • 8.4
  • A Wrinkle in the Skin
  • The Plague Tales (The Plague Tales, #1)
  • The War After Armageddon
  • A Chemical Fire
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Indiana Jones #3)
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: The Universal Don't of Dating
  • The Search
  • The Rift
  • Star Trek
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t
More about Whitley Strieber...