Start by marking “Breaking News (The Godmothers #5)” as Want to Read:
Breaking News (The Godmothers #5)

Breaking News (The Godmothers #5)

Life Is Full Of Surprises

Teresa “Toots” Amelia Loudenberry has her quirks, but no one—especially not her trusted friends Sophia, Ida, and Mavis—would ever question her loyalty. So it’s no surprise when Toots decides to extend her stay in Charleston to help care for her ailing housekeeper.

Published September 25th 2012 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking News

Kathy Warren
This is the fifth sequel in this series. A little better than the last couple. The Godmothers are funny but the story line needs to end. I have the sixth book on my bookshelf hope it's better.
Sherri
Jan 13, 2014 Sherri rated it really liked it
fern michaels never fails to provide a story that you just cannot put down, I cant wait for her next one
Carole
May 12, 2012 Carole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of The Golden Girls television series. It included some of the more recent references to people and events that have occured since the series.
Sandy
Jul 26, 2012 Sandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the greatest until about the last third of the book. Maybe my taste in authors is changing.
Lisa
Mar 13, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Another good read!
Trudy Gleason
Oct 25, 2016 Trudy Gleason rated it really liked it
I thought this was the end of the series but found that there was one more. I kind of like the ending of this book as the ending of the series but am looking forward to the next book.
Gail
Jan 05, 2017 Gail rated it it was amazing
Another great book with the senior ladies! Will there be a hubby #9 for Toots? Seems like she is interested in Bernice's heart doctor. Abby is abducted and they do everything they can to try and find her. Will Abby and Chris finally get together? Read the book to find out.
Pam Nunes
Sep 18, 2016 Pam Nunes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kidnapped

I liked this book and I couldn't put it down. The action was constantly moving. From kidnapping to dog rescue to marriage.
Mason
Jan 07, 2013 Mason rated it really liked it
Author Fern Michaels brings her lovable characters from the Godmothers Series back in BREAKING NEWS.

Teresa ‘Tootis’ Loudenberry is busing caring for her ailing housekeeper, Bernice, in Charleston, S.C. She denies she has an interest in the doctor treating Bernice. Her friends and her daughter’s godmothers - Sophia, Ida and Mavis - think Tootis is looking at husband number nine.

Meanwhile in California, Tootis’ daughter, Abby, is busy managing the gossip magazine Tootis owns.

Tootis’ life takes an
Romancing the Book
Jan 22, 2013 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Reviewed by: Robin
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

The Godmothers are at it again in Breaking News. As a Fern Michaels fan I was not disappointed. Although I have to admit this wasn’t as in depth as some of her other works, I still found it to be a fun read.

Toots and the other ‘godmothers’ Sophie, Mavis and Ida are simply delightful. Even with their crass vulgar ways. I know that just being around older people they tend to tell it like it is and their lan
Monica
Dec 30, 2012 Monica rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read by Fern Michaels. I have seen her books and have thought about reading them. Since I had one this one in LT Earlyreviewers program I was finally getting a chance to read one of her books.

Breaking News in number 5 in the Godmothers series. I have never read any of the previous ones and I was still able to follow along with the characters, and story. The beginning of the book was slow because you are introduced to the main characters and start to get a feel
Chris
Jul 27, 2013 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fern-michaels
Nancy
Nov 02, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Another entertaining story in the Godmother's series. Quick read, quite entertaining.

Though the Charleston air is drenched with azalea and honeysuckle, and there’s always a pitcher of sweet tea close to hand, the ladies have little time
Tracey
Oct 11, 2012 Tracey rated it it was ok
I was thrilled to receive this book for free from Goodreads First Reads. This book centers around 4 life-time friends who are now in their golden years. It is a story of friendship, family and finding love at any age. The story started out pretty slow but by about the 6th chapter it picked up a little and became more interesting. I found much of the dialogue and story a little too perfect ... it was like I had slipped into someone's daydream - you know, the ones where we fantasize about an event ...more
BeverlyD
Dec 01, 2015 BeverlyD rated it did not like it
I read the first chapter and thought it was 30 minutes of my life I will never get back! What a stinking pile of crap this is, and it's only the 2nd book I've ever started and not finished. I don't know how it got good ratings as it has nothing going for it: the story is extremely farfetched, far beyond ridiculous, the characters were lame, and the language used was not as advanced as my 11 year old could write. I knew I wouldn't finish when I started hoping that within the next page or two, the ...more
Jackie
Feb 18, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Another three godmothers book. Toots has bought the tabloid and her daughter Abby is now the editor. Bernice, her housekeeper has had a heart attack and Toots has a date with Bernice's doctor. They find an injured dog next door and they fly to special vet in Florida. While there Toots learns her daughter has been kidnapped. She and doc fly to LA and rescue her with the help of their friends. Abby gets engaged to her step brother. Wedding is epilogue. There are also other side stories. Bernice an ...more
Paula
Oct 02, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
I loved the first 2 books in this Godmother series. Then became disenchanted by the next few, with all the seances and ghosts. So I tried this current story, and it had less of the seances, and more story--and it helped that it was pretty much set back in South Carolina again, too. I enjoyed it, but thought some of the action seemed a bit implausible, like most of the godmothers finding new romantic interests, but then again, that's the reason they call stories like this Fiction, I guess. And, I ...more
Patricia Solla
I seemed to have missed book 4 in this series. Probably because I wasn't that crazy about it. It's definetly not in the same catagory as the Sisterhood series the author writes but it's not bad. I saw this book on the library shelves and decided to read it. This one was really interesting; it's not heavy reading. There's plenty of action and moves quickly. Parts are funny, parts are suspenseful and parts leave you wondering what happens next. Guess there will be another book in this series. I'll ...more
Becci
Dec 06, 2012 Becci rated it it was ok
I won this book as part of a goodreads giveaway. It is not normally my style, but I thought I would give it a go. I found the characters to be kind of annoying at times. They were too over dramatic. I also had trouble following all the characters pasts. This was probably due to the fact that I had not first read the other books in the series. I think people who have been following the series would have gotten more out of it.
Reen Graham
Aug 28, 2013 Reen Graham rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into this story. I didn't really like the characters enough to care what happens to them. I enjoyed the seance part and wish the story went into that a bit more. I got to chapter 36 but it took me a long time to get there. Not sure if I will finish reading this story, it's just not for me.
Karen
Oct 19, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the continuing series of The Godmothers..I love fern Michaels and enjoyed the series,but felt a little let down in this book..The story was good with a satisfying ending..The most disappointing was,they were doing things in this book totally out of character for them..Especially Abby..It was just an ok book for me..
Daleine
Sep 10, 2013 Daleine rated it did not like it
Breaking News was a goodreads giveaway. I found this book kind of boring and slow. I do believe a lot of people might find it very funny and the characters realistic. I can see some ladies being like these ladies who are great friends and going through the their 50 and 60's. I just found the language kind of brass and not of my taste.
Beryl
Aug 09, 2012 Beryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to read some "light" books for the summer. This book fit the bill. It took place in LA and Charleston and about the strong friendship of 4 women. Didn't realize this was part of the godmother series and now want to go back and read the other books. (the daughter of one was kidnapped and working together with their numerous friends were able to rescue her).
Heidi
Aug 30, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It may just be me, but I have gone as far as page 40 and I simply cannot get into this book. It's headed back to the library. Perhaps I will give it a whirl again one day, but for now, it's just happening. I found it too, "busy", no set plot. Just a bunch of older widows and divorcees getting into mischief and what not. It may be a good read, but as I said, I'm shelving it for now!
Joanie
Oct 28, 2013 Joanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toots' daughter, Abby, was kidnapped while Toots was on a date with the handsome Dr. Phil, whom after her eight husbands really seemed like the right one! Abby's boyfriend, Chris, was going to propose but things went array. Toots and her friends "the Godmothers" took matters in their own hands.
This had much friendship and surprises in this book with a very happy ending.
Shauna
Aug 01, 2016 Shauna rated it really liked it
4 friends, Ida, Toots, Mavis and Sophia plus Abby, Toot’s daughter, all experience an adventure of one kind or another in this book. There is new love, mystery, kidnapping and good ole southern friendship. Fun book.
Annette K Hernandez
Very slow to start, but picked up

I was very bored at the beginning of this book, but I kept reading and it got better. I love how the dogs were included in the wedding ceremony at the end of the story.
Jessica Kelishes
Sep 03, 2013 Jessica Kelishes rated it really liked it
This was much better than the last three of the godmother series. It kept me engaged right up until the end where it ran out of steam.. The wedding should have been at the beginning of the next book.. It was hardly remembereable..
Joanne
Jun 29, 2013 Joanne rated it really liked it
Abby's mother and her three godmothers gather around when Abby is kidnapped and assist in her return. Meanwhile, all four find that even though you are in your 60's life is still worth living and so is love.
Ponch
Sep 08, 2012 Ponch rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read
This is the first book that I had read in this series. I wish I would have read the others in this series first but overall I still enjoyed this one. This story started off a little slow; however, it was a light easy read.

I recieved this book free from GoodReads and Kensington. Thank you.
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • Play or Be Played: What Every Female Should Know About Men, Dating, and Relationships
  • Woman Habits
  • Sellout
  • The Girl with the Magic Hands
  • The Other Side of Divine
  • An Angry-Ass Black Woman
  • From Barcelona, with Love
  • Second Thoughts (The Diamond Brides, #4)
  • Jericho Cay (Bay Tanner, #11)
  • A Date You Can't Refuse
  • Raise Your Hand If You Have Issues: If You Didn't Raise You Hand You're Lying and That's an Issue
  • Something About Sophie
  • The Eye Unseen
  • It Is Well with My Soul: The Extraordinary Life of a 106-Year-Old Woman
  • Another Woman's Man (Gibbons Gold Digger Novel #3)
  • Love Thy Neighbor
  • The House on Butterfly Way
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I w ...more
More about Fern Michaels...

The Godmothers (6 books)
  • The Scoop (The Godmothers, #1)
  • Exclusive (The Godmothers, #2)
  • Late Edition (The Godmothers, #3)
  • Deadline (The Godmothers, #4)
  • Classified (The Godmothers #6)