Breaking News (The Godmothers #5)

Breaking News (The Godmothers #5)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Life Is Full Of Surprises

Teresa “Toots” Amelia Loudenberry has her quirks, but no one—especially not her trusted friends Sophia, Ida, and Mavis—would ever question her loyalty. So it’s no surprise when Toots decides to extend her stay in Charleston to help care for her ailing housekeeper.

Expected publication: September 30th 2014 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking News

Kathy Warren
This is the fifth sequel in this series. A little better than the last couple. The Godmothers are funny but the story line needs to end. I have the sixth book on my bookshelf hope it's better.
Mamey
A fun chick lit book that I found very funny at times. Good book to escape the monotony of the long winter months. Cute story. Love the bonds and frienships of all the women.
Sherri
fern michaels never fails to provide a story that you just cannot put down, I cant wait for her next one
Carole
This book reminded me of The Golden Girls television series. It included some of the more recent references to people and events that have occured since the series.
Sandy
Not the greatest until about the last third of the book. Maybe my taste in authors is changing.
Mason
Author Fern Michaels brings her lovable characters from the Godmothers Series back in BREAKING NEWS.

Teresa ‘Tootis’ Loudenberry is busing caring for her ailing housekeeper, Bernice, in Charleston, S.C. She denies she has an interest in the doctor treating Bernice. Her friends and her daughter’s godmothers - Sophia, Ida and Mavis - think Tootis is looking at husband number nine.

Meanwhile in California, Tootis’ daughter, Abby, is busy managing the gossip magazine Tootis owns.

Tootis’ life takes an...more
Chris
Monica Happy Reading All!!
This is the first book that I have read by Fern Michaels. I have seen her books and have thought about reading them. Since I had one this one in LT Earlyreviewers program I was finally getting a chance to read one of her books.

Breaking News in number 5 in the Godmothers series. I have never read any of the previous ones and I was still able to follow along with the characters, and story. The beginning of the book was slow because you are introduced to the main characters and start to get a feel...more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by: Robin
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

The Godmothers are at it again in Breaking News. As a Fern Michaels fan I was not disappointed. Although I have to admit this wasn’t as in depth as some of her other works, I still found it to be a fun read.

Toots and the other ‘godmothers’ Sophie, Mavis and Ida are simply delightful. Even with their crass vulgar ways. I know that just being around older people they tend to tell it like it is and their lan...more
Nancy
Another entertaining story in the Godmother's series. Quick read, quite entertaining.

Though the Charleston air is drenched with azalea and honeysuckle, and there’s always a pitcher of sweet tea close to hand, the ladies have little time...more
Tracey
I was thrilled to receive this book for free from Goodreads First Reads. This book centers around 4 life-time friends who are now in their golden years. It is a story of friendship, family and finding love at any age. The story started out pretty slow but by about the 6th chapter it picked up a little and became more interesting. I found much of the dialogue and story a little too perfect ... it was like I had slipped into someone's daydream - you know, the ones where we fantasize about an event...more
Paula
I loved the first 2 books in this Godmother series. Then became disenchanted by the next few, with all the seances and ghosts. So I tried this current story, and it had less of the seances, and more story--and it helped that it was pretty much set back in South Carolina again, too. I enjoyed it, but thought some of the action seemed a bit implausible, like most of the godmothers finding new romantic interests, but then again, that's the reason they call stories like this Fiction, I guess. And, I...more
Jackie
Another three godmothers book. Toots has bought the tabloid and her daughter Abby is now the editor. Bernice, her housekeeper has had a heart attack and Toots has a date with Bernice's doctor. They find an injured dog next door and they fly to special vet in Florida. While there Toots learns her daughter has been kidnapped. She and doc fly to LA and rescue her with the help of their friends. Abby gets engaged to her step brother. Wedding is epilogue. There are also other side stories. Bernice an...more
Patricia Solla
I seemed to have missed book 4 in this series. Probably because I wasn't that crazy about it. It's definetly not in the same catagory as the Sisterhood series the author writes but it's not bad. I saw this book on the library shelves and decided to read it. This one was really interesting; it's not heavy reading. There's plenty of action and moves quickly. Parts are funny, parts are suspenseful and parts leave you wondering what happens next. Guess there will be another book in this series. I'll...more
Joy Price
one of ferns books couldn't put down
Mary
Have not read Michaels in a while. I liked the sassiness of the Godmothers .
Linda Branich
I could not get excited by this book. Each development was soooo predictable and in places the book was just plain corny. Overall, I was disappointed.
Roma Del
Interesting new developments.
Diane Metz
Loved it

great book very entertaining funny heartwarming easy read really enjoyed the characters and the plot was easy to follow 5 stars
Becci
I won this book as part of a goodreads giveaway. It is not normally my style, but I thought I would give it a go. I found the characters to be kind of annoying at times. They were too over dramatic. I also had trouble following all the characters pasts. This was probably due to the fact that I had not first read the other books in the series. I think people who have been following the series would have gotten more out of it.
Heidi
It may just be me, but I have gone as far as page 40 and I simply cannot get into this book. It's headed back to the library. Perhaps I will give it a whirl again one day, but for now, it's just happening. I found it too, "busy", no set plot. Just a bunch of older widows and divorcees getting into mischief and what not. It may be a good read, but as I said, I'm shelving it for now!
Joanie
Toots' daughter, Abby, was kidnapped while Toots was on a date with the handsome Dr. Phil, whom after her eight husbands really seemed like the right one! Abby's boyfriend, Chris, was going to propose but things went array. Toots and her friends "the Godmothers" took matters in their own hands.
This had much friendship and surprises in this book with a very happy ending.
Beryl
Wanted to read some "light" books for the summer. This book fit the bill. It took place in LA and Charleston and about the strong friendship of 4 women. Didn't realize this was part of the godmother series and now want to go back and read the other books. (the daughter of one was kidnapped and working together with their numerous friends were able to rescue her).
Daleine
Breaking News was a goodreads giveaway. I found this book kind of boring and slow. I do believe a lot of people might find it very funny and the characters realistic. I can see some ladies being like these ladies who are great friends and going through the their 50 and 60's. I just found the language kind of brass and not of my taste.
Karen
This is the continuing series of The Godmothers..I love fern Michaels and enjoyed the series,but felt a little let down in this book..The story was good with a satisfying ending..The most disappointing was,they were doing things in this book totally out of character for them..Especially Abby..It was just an ok book for me..
Reen Graham
I had a hard time getting into this story. I didn't really like the characters enough to care what happens to them. I enjoyed the seance part and wish the story went into that a bit more. I got to chapter 36 but it took me a long time to get there. Not sure if I will finish reading this story, it's just not for me.
Ponch
This is the first book that I had read in this series. I wish I would have read the others in this series first but overall I still enjoyed this one. This story started off a little slow; however, it was a light easy read.

I recieved this book free from GoodReads and Kensington. Thank you.
Troxelm
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program, and picked it up and put it down at least a dozen times, and just haven't been able to get into it. It seems like a good story idea, but I just couldn't find my way past the second chapter.
Leona
Great as always
Jessica Kelishes
This was much better than the last three of the godmother series. It kept me engaged right up until the end where it ran out of steam.. The wedding should have been at the beginning of the next book.. It was hardly remembereable..
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • The Lilac House: A Novel
  • By Starlight
  • Sellout
  • Redemption Song
  • Moonlight Cove (Chesapeake Shores, #6)
  • Letter from a Stranger
  • Blossom Street Brides (Blossom Street #10)
  • The Eye Unseen
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • Love in a Carry-on Bag
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • Postcards From Cedar Key
  • Ada's Rules: A Sexy Skinny Novel
  • Whisper's Edge (Cricket Creek #4)
  • Return to Willow Lake  (Lakeshore Chronicles #9)
  • Perfect Pitch (The Diamond Brides, #1)
  • Something About Sophie
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)