Start by marking “The No S Diet” as Want to Read:
The No S Diet

The No S Diet

The No S Diet: The Strikingly Simple Weight-Loss Strategy That Has DietersRaving--and Dropping Pounds
Published March 4th 2008 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about The No S Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The No S Diet

Christina
Oct 25, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
Not bad. Definitely a common sense diet.

No seconds.
No sweets.
No snacks.

Except on days starting with "s" or special days like holidays.

Quick read and the author is witty. I could see how following the principles in this book would definitely put one on the right track.
Helen
Apr 29, 2016 Helen rated it it was amazing
I'd noticed my weight creeping up again and I knew that I needed to diet to get it back under control, but somehow couldn't muster the willpower. Then someone on Habitica mentioned The No S Diet and I googled and found the web page. It was such a breath of fresh air and made so much sense that I rushed to buy the book just to send a few dollars to the author.

Basically it's how I ate when I was a kid and throughout my teens: 3 decent meals per day and no snacks or sweets, apart from having a litt
Anna
Jan 16, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Should be called "The Very Sane Diet That Will Help You Build the Habit of Self-Control".
Jessica Snell
Oct 25, 2011 Jessica Snell rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, health
This is a nifty little book that started as a nifty little website.

Basically, this is a computer programmer’s idea of what a healthy, life-long eating program ought to look like, and he came up with it after being frustrated by how complicated most other diet plans are.

His website really has all you need to follow the diet – and it really is easy: no Sweets, no Snacks, no Seconds, except, maybe, on days starting with S – but he wrote the book as a kind of FAQs, and I enjoyed reading the plan fl
Alf Kåre Lefdal
Aug 08, 2010 Alf Kåre Lefdal rated it it was amazing
Dette er kostholdsregimet som hjalp meg ned 20 kg fra sommeren 2008 til sommeren 2009. Dietten er sosialt kompatibel, enkel, og den er fullt mulig å leve etter over veldig lang tid.

This is the diet that helped me loose 20 kg (44 lbs) from the summer of 2008 till the summer of 2009. The diet is socially compatible, simple, and anyone can stick to for long periods of time.
Daniel McVicker
Jan 21, 2016 Daniel McVicker rated it it was amazing
Here's the whole diet:
No sweets, no seconds, no snacking - except sometimes on days that start with 'S'.

A sensible, habit-focused way to lose weight.
Kewannah
Jun 16, 2017 Kewannah rated it really liked it
I've been on this diet a year and love it. wanted to read the thought process behind it
Anita Pomerantz
Jul 06, 2012 Anita Pomerantz rated it really liked it
I am oh-so-tired of dieting, and I usually never read diet books because I know that it merely a matter of calories in/calories out in the end. However, counting calories is extremely tiring AND boring - - and it is nearly impossible to do for restaurant meals. But I won't do a diet that cuts out particular foods (because I know I won't sustain that for life).

So, basically, I exercise and exercise and sort of maintain my weight that way (but never lose).

It's just one big exercise in frustration.
Cathy
Jan 26, 2009 Cathy rated it it was amazing
I must confess, I haven't read the book -- just the Web site. But the author himself says all the information in the book is on the Web site, just less pretty and less well proofread.

I have dieted off and on my entire adult life (well, counting "since junior high" as adult ...) and it does nothing but make me miserable and obsessive and, once off the diet, induces disordered eating and weight gain. I mean, I'm a great dieter -- I can always lose weight on them. I just can't keep it off for any
Book Noir (Erica)
Jul 14, 2013 Book Noir (Erica) rated it really liked it
Sharlin
Apr 08, 2009 Sharlin rated it liked it
this book was great. very simple concept with lots of reasons why it makes sense. i was sick of counting calories, and in fact often felt defeated before i'd get 1/2 through the day. it was laborious, and that line in the sand would often backfire. the no snacking has helped stop my constant grazing. the no seconds has helped me to think carefully about what i want and how much i want. and i am also enjoying my meals infinitely more than before. the no sweets-not very hard for me, and i know it' ...more
Georgina Allen
May 30, 2013 Georgina Allen rated it it was amazing
This is a re-read and I'd forgotten how good it was and how much it's formed my thinking on focusing on habits rather than achievements to get results in all areas of my life.

I picked it up again because I've fallen into some bad dietary habits over the last couple of years and felt the need to formally go back "on a diet" (if only so I don't have to go buy some more clothes) but this is not an extreme diet and is very sustainable/maintainable in the real world. It's something I want to stay on
Marleah
Sep 10, 2012 Marleah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, re-read
This "diet" is incredible. A couple of years ago, I was tired of following typical diet eating plans and exercising for at least an hour a day at the gym and not seeing any results. I googled something like "diets that work permanently" and came across the No S website. I read the website and then the book, and I started living the No S life.

My BMI, which had always been solidly in the "overweight" range dropped into the "normal" range. I lost around 20 pounds without changing the amount of exe
Tami Thomas
Jan 04, 2013 Tami Thomas rated it really liked it
Brilliantly simple diet plan. In fact, so simple, it is actually doable and maintainable as a lifestyle. And that is what is important in becoming healthy.

The book was a quick, easy and entertaining read. If you're looking for a book full of the ultimate in health, nutrition and fitness, this is not it. This is full of logic and common sense, and some occasional almost slap-in-the-face style reality checks. And it gives you a plan that most anyone can start and follow for the rest of their live
Jessica
Jan 25, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
common sense approach to eating. seems to provide enough structure to not be " taken advantage of," while providing enough flexibility to not be "rebelled against." eager to try it for myself. wish it had been titled "lifestyle" vs "diet" because that seems more accurate. there is a free website that contains pretty much everything that's in the book, so buying isn't necessary (unless you like having a tangible copy to underline or whatnot). an unrelated btw, there's a fair amount of proofreadin ...more
pam laporte
I guess I felt that you just have to do the no sweets,no seconds, no no snacks and the rest is common sense.

It is a lot to pay for a kindle book and I could have just read the title that I put and it said it all. It sounds like a good way to eat but it just really repeats a lot to answer questions that should have been explained by one sentence.
Lisa Bergin
Aug 06, 2015 Lisa Bergin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book makes a lot of sense to me. Currently on week 3 of following its principles has been a little hit and miss but it is all about establishing a habit and clearly my old habits are not as easy to break as I had hoped, but I intend to stick with it.
Kerry
Jan 30, 2011 Kerry rated it really liked it
Giving 4 stars with contingent 5 if I can stick with it! Have gained about 12#'s in last 2.5 yrs and I want to be done with it! But I don't want to be on a diet either...just be sensible. This seems to make a lot of sense.....
Rosy
Jan 03, 2011 Rosy rated it it was amazing
I have read this book before, re-reading for fun and a refresher, to lose those pounds gained this December. Really love the simplicity of this diet. No snacks, seconds, or sweets except on days that start with S- Saturday, Sunday and Special days like a birthday. That's it. Moderation, yay!
Anna
Jan 23, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing
Been doing this six months- it has been the easiest six months of watching my weight if you can even call it that. i was already at a normal weight when i started this, and it has stayed constant. three meals a day. life in between.
Russell
Mar 09, 2009 Russell rated it really liked it
Simple, like all brilliant plans, or just brilliant, like all simple plans.

Either way, I'm trying this to shed a pound or 50. Been doing it for 3 weeks, so far so good.

If you are looking to lose weight over your lifetime and keep it off, this looks to be a top notch plan.
Julie
Jan 02, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
The first "diet" plan I've ever encountered that I think I might actually be able to stick to. Sensible, simple, sane. Guess what I'm starting this (new) year?

P.S. You can get all the details for free on the website. Just Google "No S Diet"
Dec 18, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
No-nonsense and clear.
Lorna
Dec 11, 2008 Lorna rated it it was amazing
This approach seems very sensible to me and makes the most sense out of anything I've read about "diets".
Morag
Oct 21, 2013 Morag rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Morag by: Reinhard Engels
Shelves: collection
Re-read for me. Fantastic plan. Simplicity simplified. The book just really helps to focus on the importance of the habit.
Mizbooks