Start by marking “In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century” as Want to Read:
In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century

In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This bestselling collection of American oratory is the most comprehensive anthology of its kind: a record of twentieth-century America captured in the words that inspired and infuriated, electrified and galvanized its people. Decade by decade, generation to generation, history unfolds in the famous and infamous expressions of Americans from all walks of life: poets and pol ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Washington Square Press (first published November 10th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about In Our Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Our Own Words

Jon
Jul 01, 2007 Jon added it
Shelves: 800-899
A suberb collection, being handed a copy of this book back in high-school sparked a love of oratory that keeps me glancing back at it for references. I'd strongly suggest it for any curriculum involving rhetoric.
Carroll
Mar 25, 2014 Carroll rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-n-book-club
Interesting book club selection.
Nick Hall
Jun 26, 2009 Nick Hall rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I REALLY love what I've read here. While I didn't agree with all of the opinions of the different speakers, it was great to hear their viewpoints expressed articulately and eloquently. What I liked most about this book was how I was able to see how our nation has changed during the last century in response to the various issues and concerns that have surfaced over the years. An excellent collection of very well-written speeches. Highly recomm ...more
N
Dec 03, 2015 N rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who teaches speech
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an excellent read. I've been considering moving speech from a stand-alone class to integrated into my larger curriculum, but this book makes me want to keep it since there is so much more for me to include now! Major decisions need to be made...
Valerie
Invaluable. It contains invaluable speeches from Americans on various topics. Americans come from different backgrounds. These speeches prove it. This book is a must have for anybody who loves America.
Mike
Nov 20, 2007 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Got this as a gift (no way I would ever buy something written by this jerk) but maybe I'll look it over. I see a speech by Lombardi which may be worth reading.
Scott
Aug 04, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five star compilation of speeches, though a low-quality compiler. Read this for a speech writing class.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Jordan L.
Jordan L. rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Haley
Haley added it
Jan 23, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Lindsay Barton
Lindsay Barton rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Sean Andersson
Sean Andersson marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Eric
Eric is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2015
Adam Sommer
Adam Sommer marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Robyn Bowen
Robyn Bowen marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Joseph Gawronski
Joseph Gawronski marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Klipp
Klipp rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Matt Donnally
Matt Donnally marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Brendan Kane
Brendan Kane marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Craig Cottingham
Craig Cottingham marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation
  • Letters of a Nation
  • Our Sacred Honor: The Stories, Letters, Songs, Poems, Speeches, and Hymns that Gave Birth to Our Nation
  • Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s
  • The Age of Anxiety: McCarthyism to Terrorism
  • Ten Presidents from FDR to George Bush (Character Above All)
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Theodore Roosevelt's Letters to His Children
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • To the Best of My Ability