Start by marking “In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century” as Want to Read:
In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century

In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This bestselling collection of American oratory is the most comprehensive anthology of its kind: a record of twentieth-century America captured in the words that inspired and infuriated, electrified and galvanized its people. Decade by decade, generation to generation, history unfolds in the famous and infamous expressions of Americans from all walks of life: poets and pol ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Washington Square Press (first published November 10th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about In Our Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Our Own Words

Jon
Jul 01, 2007 Jon added it
Shelves: 800-899
A suberb collection, being handed a copy of this book back in high-school sparked a love of oratory that keeps me glancing back at it for references. I'd strongly suggest it for any curriculum involving rhetoric.
Carroll
Mar 25, 2014 Carroll rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-n-book-club
Interesting book club selection.
Nick Hall
Jun 26, 2009 Nick Hall rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I REALLY love what I've read here. While I didn't agree with all of the opinions of the different speakers, it was great to hear their viewpoints expressed articulately and eloquently. What I liked most about this book was how I was able to see how our nation has changed during the last century in response to the various issues and concerns that have surfaced over the years. An excellent collection of very well-written speeches. Highly recomm ...more
N
Dec 03, 2015 N rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who teaches speech
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an excellent read. I've been considering moving speech from a stand-alone class to integrated into my larger curriculum, but this book makes me want to keep it since there is so much more for me to include now! Major decisions need to be made...
Valerie
Invaluable. It contains invaluable speeches from Americans on various topics. Americans come from different backgrounds. These speeches prove it. This book is a must have for anybody who loves America.
Mike
Nov 20, 2007 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Got this as a gift (no way I would ever buy something written by this jerk) but maybe I'll look it over. I see a speech by Lombardi which may be worth reading.
Scott
Aug 04, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five star compilation of speeches, though a low-quality compiler. Read this for a speech writing class.
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Herman
Herman marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
K Koi
K Koi marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Candace M Ellison
Candace M Ellison marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Sharon Hale
Sharon Hale marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
bhjbsdjf
bhjbsdjf marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Patty Baskin
Patty Baskin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
David Liang
David Liang marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Zohaib Afzal
Zohaib Afzal marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Bill Nystrom
Bill Nystrom marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Jordan L.
Jordan L. rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
  • The American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation
  • Letters of a Nation
  • The Age of Anxiety: McCarthyism to Terrorism
  • Our Sacred Honor: The Stories, Letters, Songs, Poems, Speeches, and Hymns that Gave Birth to Our Nation
  • Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s
  • Ten Presidents from FDR to George Bush (Character Above All)
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • 501 Must-Know Speeches
  • The Black Book
  • A Documentary History of the United States
  • Nine and Counting: The Women of the Senate
  • Theodore Roosevelt's Letters to His Children
  • Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid
  • The Waxman Report: How Congress Really Works