Start by marking “In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century” as Want to Read:
In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century

In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century

This bestselling collection of American oratory is the most comprehensive anthology of its kind: a record of twentieth-century America captured in the words that inspired and infuriated, electrified and galvanized its people. Decade by decade, generation to generation, history unfolds in the famous and infamous expressions of Americans from all walks of life: poets and pol ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Washington Square Press (first published November 10th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about In Our Own Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Our Own Words

Jon
Jul 01, 2007 Jon added it
Shelves: 800-899
A suberb collection, being handed a copy of this book back in high-school sparked a love of oratory that keeps me glancing back at it for references. I'd strongly suggest it for any curriculum involving rhetoric.
Carroll
Mar 25, 2014 Carroll rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-n-book-club
Interesting book club selection.
Nick Hall
Jun 26, 2009 Nick Hall rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. I REALLY love what I've read here. While I didn't agree with all of the opinions of the different speakers, it was great to hear their viewpoints expressed articulately and eloquently. What I liked most about this book was how I was able to see how our nation has changed during the last century in response to the various issues and concerns that have surfaced over the years. An excellent collection of very well-written speeches. Highly recomm ...more
N
Dec 03, 2015 N rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who teaches speech
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an excellent read. I've been considering moving speech from a stand-alone class to integrated into my larger curriculum, but this book makes me want to keep it since there is so much more for me to include now! Major decisions need to be made...
Valerie
Invaluable. It contains invaluable speeches from Americans on various topics. Americans come from different backgrounds. These speeches prove it. This book is a must have for anybody who loves America.
Mike
Nov 20, 2007 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Got this as a gift (no way I would ever buy something written by this jerk) but maybe I'll look it over. I see a speech by Lombardi which may be worth reading.
Scott
Aug 04, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five star compilation of speeches, though a low-quality compiler. Read this for a speech writing class.
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Sep 09, 2016
Aug 28, 2016
Lisa Meister
Lisa Meister marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
JBC
JBC added it
Aug 03, 2016
Zac Sweets
Zac Sweets marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Janelle
Janelle rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Ianbjorg
Ianbjorg marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Caren
Caren marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jun 18, 2016
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Pramod Phulware
Pramod Phulware marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Catherine Grim
Catherine Grim marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Carley
Carley marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Herman
Herman marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
K Koi
K Koi marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
  • The American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation
  • Letters of a Nation
  • Voices of Freedom: An Oral History of the Civil Rights Movement from the 1950s through the 1980s
  • Our Sacred Honor: The Stories, Letters, Songs, Poems, Speeches, and Hymns that Gave Birth to Our Nation
  • The Age of Anxiety: McCarthyism to Terrorism
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • Ten Presidents from FDR to George Bush (Character Above All)
  • A Documentary History of the United States
  • The Black Book
  • They Made America: From the Steam Engine to the Search Engine: Two Centuries of Innovators
  • White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race
  • Nine and Counting: The Women of the Senate
  • The Burden of Southern History
  • The Waxman Report: How Congress Really Works
  • Letters of the Century: America 1900-1999
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student