Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #6)

Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura #6)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  28 reviews
From shearing sheep and milking cows to training young calves, Almanzo Wilder worked very hard on his family's farm in New York. But when his chores were all done, Almanzo could go to his favorite place in the whole world -- the Horse-Barn. Although his father wouldn't let him handle the frisky colts, Almanzo could still look at them and dream of one day having a horse all...more
Hardcover
Published February 1st 1998 by Turtleback Books (first published January 17th 1998)

Relyn
Dec 04, 2010 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: loved it as a child
This is our current read aloud in my classroom. It's a hit!

It's slow going with reading only a chapter a day, but this book is a hit. I love the way that simple book about a very different, far simpler time is so appealing to children. They find it exciting in a quiet way - no need for thrills. I love that.

12/4
I am constantly amazed at how much kids love Laura's books. You'd think I wouldn't be surprised by now - but I am. I mean, really, her books are nothing like currently published books. B...more
Sallie
First time I've read this book in years, and it was amazing. So much detail about farming and the life of the Wilders in the mid 1800s, that I felt it could be used as a manual about farming today.

LIW always puts so much detail of the daily life of her family and now the Wilders into her books, they make fascinating reading at any age.
Sarahr
This story follows the life of Almanzo Wilder, the husband of Laura Ignalls, who was the star of the first book in this series. The description says that it is #6 in the series, but it is actually #2. There is not much of a storyline in this book either. Mostly just character following and detailing how life on a farm was back in the day. I found it harder to hold my attention than Little House In The Big Woods. Still good though. Excited for #3 Little House on the Prarie.
Becky
OK, sure, it's a kid book. A kid book that am totally enthralled with! I can feel the comfort and peace of "the barns," the security of a cellar and attic full of food, enough food for a year. Food that was sown and grown and harvested by themselves and by hand. Food for not only the family but for the livestock. Even without modern conveniences it is a lifestyle to be coveted. I think I'll read it again. And again.
Isabel
I was waiting for an interface with Laura the whole time, but eventually reconciled myself to learning about this Almanzo kid. His life is so different from Laura's! The descriptions of the volumes of food they consume and the guests they host, the schooling and expectations for the children is so different from Laura's experience, but it gives great context to her life.
Alexandra
What a contrast to Laura's life! Almanzo has to work hard in the fields with his dad, but his family is a lot wealthier than the Ingalls'. This story is funny, realistic, and sweet with blacking, cows, sledding, lost wallets, and lots more.
Katelyn
I thought is was very intresting exept thier food was a bit questoinable like head cheese whitch you probly do not want to know what it is made of but I'll tell you anyways it is made out of calfs head skull and all.
Carly McEathron
This book is complete comfort food - I like to read it when I'm sick and don't feel like anything weighty. The descriptions and vivid images are more theraputic than chicken soup.
Story Revolution
This was a great transaction! I received my order quickly and the product was in even better condition than I had hoped for!
Erica
So far my mom and i just started this last night. so far it is about Laura's husband Almanzo and his childhood.
Ruth
Sep 16, 2012 Ruth marked it as to-read
Amazingly enough, I never read this book. So, looking forward to learn more about Almanzo Wilder.
Ariel Rudicel
I've read this book before, and it never gets old, other than we just noticed how they see the Indians.
Kathleen
We really enjoyed Farmer Boy. The girls were always excited to see what "Almanzo was up to" in the story.
Judy
I am reading this to Caleb. We are both learning about the ways of the farm, many years ago.
Julie
My favorite "Little House" book. :) My students & kids both LOVED this book for read-aloud time.
Jared
I liked that he was adventurous and that he worked hard and wanted to be a farmer like his dad.
Nick Hron
This story was interesting and told Almanzo's point of view and his adventures.
Donna
Wonderful read...It is a hard, honest way to live.....but you appreciate so much more!
Heidi
Not as exciting as the Laura books but still a good read.
Sara
Thatcher and I read this together and LOVED it!
Anna
May 17, 2012 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: kids 5-12
Recommended to Anna by: my mother
Shelves: laura-ingells
it is good but it is a little too long
Kpretzler
Loved reading this with Maria this year!
Annarose
My favorite Little House book.
Judith
i love the littlel house series
Mackenzie Milne
loved it. sure to read it again
Kristen
I enjoyed the story.
Kirsten
idk y i liked it...
Elfiegirl
This is good!
  • Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years
  • Little Clearing in the Woods (Little House: The Caroline Years, #3)
  • Little City by the Lake (Little House: The Caroline Years, #6)
  • The Adventures of Amelia Bedelia
  • The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)
  • The Secret of the Attic (Magic Attic Club, #1)
  • My Neighbor Totoro 1
  • A Father's Promise
  • Children Just Like Me
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2) The Little House Collection (Little House, #1-9) Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4) Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)