Start by marking “Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #6)” as Want to Read:
Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #6)

Farmer Boy Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura #6)

From shearing sheep and milking cows to training young calves, Almanzo Wilder worked very hard on his family's farm in New York. But when his chores were all done, Almanzo could go to his favorite place in the whole world -- the Horse-Barn. Although his father wouldn't let him handle the frisky colts, Almanzo could still look at them and dream of one day having a horse all ...more
Hardcover
Published February 1st 1998 by Turtleback Books (first published January 17th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Farmer Boy Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmer Boy Days

Sarah Bruno
Mar 01, 2015 Sarah Bruno rated it liked it
This was a fantastic nonfiction book that made me want to read more of Laura Ingalls Wilder novels. This story in particular is about Laura's husband Almanzo Wilder and his life as a boy living in the countryside of New York. Almanzo’s family is a very wealthy family owning a huge barn and working as smart farmers. Each year brings a new season and each season brings a hard task that Almanzo and his two sisters and brother work to fulfill the seasons crops. One strength about this book is that i ...more
Relyn
Oct 23, 2010 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: loved it as a child
This is our current read aloud in my classroom. It's a hit!

It's slow going with reading only a chapter a day, but this book is a hit. I love the way that simple book about a very different, far simpler time is so appealing to children. They find it exciting in a quiet way - no need for thrills. I love that.

12/4
I am constantly amazed at how much kids love Laura's books. You'd think I wouldn't be surprised by now - but I am. I mean, really, her books are nothing like currently published books. B
Sarahr
May 26, 2013 Sarahr rated it really liked it
This story follows the life of Almanzo Wilder, the husband of Laura Ignalls, who was the star of the first book in this series. The description says that it is #6 in the series, but it is actually #2. There is not much of a storyline in this book either. Mostly just character following and detailing how life on a farm was back in the day. I found it harder to hold my attention than Little House In The Big Woods. Still good though. Excited for #3 Little House on the Prarie.
Emily Fedewa
Oct 28, 2014 Emily Fedewa rated it it was amazing
Becky
Oct 27, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-group-reads
OK, sure, it's a kid book. A kid book that am totally enthralled with! I can feel the comfort and peace of "the barns," the security of a cellar and attic full of food, enough food for a year. Food that was sown and grown and harvested by themselves and by hand. Food for not only the family but for the livestock. Even without modern conveniences it is a lifestyle to be coveted. I think I'll read it again. And again.
Isabel
Jan 30, 2010 Isabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was waiting for an interface with Laura the whole time, but eventually reconciled myself to learning about this Almanzo kid. His life is so different from Laura's! The descriptions of the volumes of food they consume and the guests they host, the schooling and expectations for the children is so different from Laura's experience, but it gives great context to her life.
Sallie
Mar 01, 2014 Sallie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
First time I've read this book in years, and it was amazing. So much detail about farming and the life of the Wilders in the mid 1800s, that I felt it could be used as a manual about farming today.

LIW always puts so much detail of the daily life of her family and now the Wilders into her books, they make fascinating reading at any age.
Alexandra
Sep 11, 2011 Alexandra rated it liked it
What a contrast to Laura's life! Almanzo has to work hard in the fields with his dad, but his family is a lot wealthier than the Ingalls'. This story is funny, realistic, and sweet with blacking, cows, sledding, lost wallets, and lots more.
Katelyn
Aug 16, 2011 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
I thought is was very intresting exept thier food was a bit questoinable like head cheese whitch you probly do not want to know what it is made of but I'll tell you anyways it is made out of calfs head skull and all.
Kathleen
Mar 23, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-reading
We really enjoyed Farmer Boy. The girls were always excited to see what "Almanzo was up to" in the story.
Donna
Jan 21, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it
Wonderful read...It is a hard, honest way to live.....but you appreciate so much more!
Carly McEathron
Feb 14, 2013 Carly McEathron rated it it was amazing
This book is complete comfort food - I like to read it when I'm sick and don't feel like anything weighty. The descriptions and vivid images are more theraputic than chicken soup.
Ariel Rudicel
Apr 02, 2013 Ariel Rudicel rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary, novels
I've read this book before, and it never gets old, other than we just noticed how they see the Indians.
Pk
Jun 05, 2016 Pk rated it it was amazing
Re-read. I've always loved the descriptions of what he ate. It is amazing, too, all the work that was involved.
Kristen
This is good!
Erica
Oct 04, 2010 Erica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, realistic
So far my mom and i just started this last night. so far it is about Laura's husband Almanzo and his childhood.
Mackenzie Milne
Jun 23, 2011 Mackenzie Milne rated it it was amazing
loved it. sure to read it again
Story Revolution
This was a great transaction! I received my order quickly and the product was in even better condition than I had hoped for!
Jared
Aug 26, 2011 Jared rated it really liked it
I liked that he was adventurous and that he worked hard and wanted to be a farmer like his dad.
Judy
Jun 17, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
I am reading this to Caleb. We are both learning about the ways of the farm, many years ago.
Julie
Jun 20, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
My favorite "Little House" book. :) My students & kids both LOVED this book for read-aloud time.
Ruth
May 31, 2011 Ruth marked it as to-read
Amazingly enough, I never read this book. So, looking forward to learn more about Almanzo Wilder.
Judith
Dec 03, 2009 Judith rated it really liked it
i love the littlel house series
Heidi
Jun 12, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it
Not as exciting as the Laura books but still a good read.
Jakemichel
Sep 14, 2011 Jakemichel rated it it was amazing
good book
Sara
Dec 05, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
Thatcher and I read this together and LOVED it!
Alicia
Mar 22, 2015 Alicia rated it it was ok
Dragged in many places. Loads of hard work!
Anna Fleming
Anna Fleming rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Darcy
Darcy rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2011
  • Brookfield Days (Little House Chapter Books: Caroline, #1)
  • Farmer Boy Goes West
  • The Far Side of the Loch (Little House: The Martha Years, #2)
  • Erandi's Braids
  • Everybody Bonjours!
  • Who's Mandie? (Young Mandie Mystery, #1)
  • Let's Go Home: The Wonderful Things About a House
  • The Art of The Secret World of Arrietty
  • Things People Do
  • The Random House Book of Fairy Tales
  • My Neighbor Totoro Picture Book
  • Boy Scout Handbook, the Official
  • Hercules (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations
  • Farfallina  Marcel
  • Scholastic Children's Dictionary
  • The Secret of the Attic (Magic Attic Club, #1)
  • Learning to Slow Down and Pay Attention: A Kid's Book about ADHD
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

Little House Chapter Books: Laura (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Adventures of Laura and Jack (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #1)
  • Pioneer Sisters (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #2)
  • Animal Adventures (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #3)
  • School Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #4)
  • Laura & Nellie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #5)
  • Little House Farm Days (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #7)
  • Hard Times on the Prairie (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #8)
  • Little House Friends (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #9)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura's Ma (Little House Chapter Books: Laura, #11)