Start by marking “Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)” as Want to Read:
Tender Mercies (Red River of the North, #5)

Tender Mercies (Red River of the North #5)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,118 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
She never intended to stay. So why is leaving so hard?
The fertile prairies of Dakota Territory have finally begun to yield the bountiful harvests the pioneers have dreamed about since leaving their homes in Norway. The tiny community of Blessing is beginning to expand and thrive, its hardy citizens at last enjoying a measure of prosperity.
Mary Martha MacCallister comes t
Published February 1st 2007 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Tender Mercies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tender Mercies

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe Taming of Ryder Cavanaugh by Stephanie LaurensThe Notorious Rake by Mary BaloghA Lady Never Tells by Candace CampShe Tempts the Duke by Lorraine Heath
"Mary"
75th out of 105 books — 5 voters
Until That Distant Day by Jill StenglThe Redemption by M.L. TyndallThe Blue Enchantress by M.L. TyndallA Dream Not Imagined by Shantelle Mary HannuRose's Pledge by Sally Laity
Great Christian Romances
53rd out of 104 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Christy
Jul 21, 2015 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Another satisfying warm and cozy visit to the town of Blessing!! These books are always about so much more than what's written on the back cover; I'm grateful for that. I never tire from one certain character. This one was a little bittersweet but still very gratifying.
Allan67
Sep 17, 2015 Allan67 rated it really liked it
Another book read to the wife. She loves to be read to, she always has. Reading is one of the few things that we can do together

The book covered a relatively short period of time, from the fall of 1887 to spring of 1888, but lots of things happened. The little town of Blessing is growing. The winter was hard with blizzards trapping children at school. Singer sewing machines came onto the scene and all the ladies had to have one, including Ingeborg. Christmas was a happy one. The last three chap
Sonya
I did not read the books in order. I finished the prelude then read this. With that in mind, the community setting is what attracts me to read the book, but also makes it hard for me to keep everyone straight. Lauraine does a good job at putting a tag or a reminder with the characters to help keep them straight---but I must have read too fast in places to keep them organized.

She presents a lot of processes, i.e. cheese making, butchering, cooking, in detail---gets me bogged down in the process r
Genifer Price
Dec 22, 2014 Genifer Price rated it it was amazing
Ive loved this series so much! I read the first 4 back to back, almost no sleep! I waited to read number five bc I read the reviews and someone said it was too sad... I had a lot going on so I couldnt handle the sleepless nights and any tears I knew Id suffer. I started it yesterday and finished it today. The first half was good and I didnt know what the reviewer was talking about. About two thirds in it hit. I was a sobbing wreck. It was a good read, very well written and I love the characters ...more
Kathryn
Dec 30, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Vicki Andrada
Jun 08, 2015 Vicki Andrada rated it it was amazing
I just love this series Red River of the North. I've loved all of the books in this series so far! It was a hard life for them in Decoda territory, but I love the characters; they begin to feel like family. I have to say this particular one is one of the sadder ones. Not all of it, it had good times mixed with the bad, but be prepared if your planning to read this book for some tears.
Jeni Enjaian
Sometimes I have an insatiable thirst to learn the stories of people I read about or see knowing that even if the story is similar to something or many things that I've already been acquainted with and this book fit that desire perfectly.

Mrs. Snelling limited the story--somewhat--to a couple storylines and thus I wasn't too distracted trying to figure things out.

A few times Mrs. Snelling stretched the imagination in describing the reaction of a few characters to different events. Thankfully, unl
Apr 25, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Book 5 in the Red River of the North series. I so love the fact that the town is growing and more characters are developing. Who would have thought that the Singer sewing machine would cause such a ruckus between women. Always hard work and no escape of loss of precious life. The Pastor finally found himself a wife to be.
Mom
Jan 06, 2015 Mom rated it it was amazing
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jun 07, 2014 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I am enjoying the Red River of the North series, and this is the fifth book of the series. This book takes us from September 1887-April 1888. Singer Sewing Machines contribute a lot to this story, as do blizzards, disease, and childbirth.
I recommend it to all readers who enjoy the history of our country as a family saga.

Rachel
Jun 09, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a well-written Christian historical novel. The characters were well drawn and engaging, and the plot was interesting. I really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading the nest book, which finishes off this particular series.
Karen Singrey
Mar 23, 2015 Karen Singrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful read

As Blessing grows, the families become more like my family with each book. They make me think about my own family's history coming from Switzerland to Ohio.
Kathleen
A friend loaned us these books 26they just keep coming. I never dreamed Lauraine Snelling had written so many. I never intended to read all of them, but I just can't put them down.
Hope
I cried my way through this book. There was so much heartache yet there was joy as well. I would find myself smiling through the tears. This is an amazing series!
Martha Campbell
Feb 08, 2015 Martha Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming.

The hardships endured and overcome are sad, but rejoicing. Their strength is amazing, but their faith strong. A must read series.
Hope
Emily
Jun 16, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
The series is definitely slowing down for me, but I'm still curious enough in the story line to probably get the last one. But maybe not before I take a little break from the prairie life!
Connie
Sep 28, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it
Continue to read and really enjoy this series. A "new" main character, Mary Martha MacCallister, is introduced.
Becky
Aug 25, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
After scrolling down and reading some of the other reviews especially those of you who read Luaraine Snelling, I can see why this book was not very engaging for me. It is number 5 in a series so according to some of the more devoted fans this was a weaker link in comparison. Nevertheless I did finish it which says something that I cared enough about the story and characters to see what happens. It did have merit. This was my first time to read this author, so had I not read the other reviews I w ...more
Lorrine Hughes
Sep 10, 2015 Lorrine Hughes rated it really liked it
I am going to miss this series when its completed, one more to go.
Sharon Buxton
Feb 06, 2016 Sharon Buxton rated it it was amazing
A. historical fiction, Dakotas, series, #5, own
Pegg
Oct 11, 2014 Pegg rated it liked it
The Bjorklund family continues to branch out and fill the town of Blessing in what is soon to become the state of North Dakota. Besides following the well-known characters, we're also reunited with Mary Martha MacCallister, Zeb's older sister.

While Tender Mercies keeps the story moving, it doesn't rise to the level of the four prior books in the series. It ends very abruptly, and I recommend the reader have book 6 - Blessing in Disguise - close by and ready to read. It feels as if the story wil
Mypupdaisy
May 19, 2014 Mypupdaisy rated it it was amazing
Another win-win book. Great book for anyone to learn about life of the settlers in the late 1880s. Never a boring moment.
Susan
I like Christian fiction. It's my "mind candy" when I need it. But this book was #5 of a series I've read none of the others of...hence I didn't know the back stories of all the characters the story kept alluding to. I think if I had read the whole rest of the series I would have enjoyed it a lot more. As it was, I was feeling a bit left out sometimes - this book does not really stand alone. Still, it was a nice read. I always appreciate books that remind us to rely on the Lord through thick and ...more
Patsy
Dec 02, 2013 Patsy rated it it was amazing
This is a very good story about the pioneers coming from Norway to the Dakota's and building a community called Blessing. All the other characters from the previous books are involved in this book. It has some very emotional stories, some serious events and the children keep you entertained. It has a large family and friends with lots of children, the author keeps up with all the characters. Very good series. The author writes TRUE to life events.
Krissie
Jan 28, 2014 Krissie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
southern belle & pastor
Deb
Jan 29, 2014 Deb added it
Lots of hardships & sadness in this book. :(
Midge
More people come to Blessing, ND. The town keeps adding more businesses and all seem to flourish. Unfortunately some people die and women seem to have trouble getting pregnant. The minister gets married, Penny finds more of her relatives, A school for the deaf is formed.
Rebecca Cordova
Jul 16, 2008 Rebecca Cordova rated it really liked it
More characters are being brought to life in the Red River Series by the growth of the Dakota Territory. This book is a cute matchmaking tale between a southern belle and a lonely clergyman.
Connie
Jan 12, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it
This is a continuation of the story about the small but growing town of Blessing in the Dakota 9180Territory. Set in the late 1800s. An easy read, but interesting.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 19, 2015 06:39PM
  • Like Gold Refined (A Prairie Legacy, # 4)
  • Sons of an Ancient Glory (Emerald Ballad #4)
  • A Love to Last Forever (The Brides of Gallatin County, #2)
  • Falconer's Quest (Heirs of Acadia #5)
  • Love Finds You in Lonesome Prairie, Montana
  • In Every Heartbeat
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

Red River of the North (7 books)
  • An Untamed Heart
  • An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1)
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North, #2)
  • A Land to Call Home (Red River of the North, #3)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • Blessing in Disguise (Red River of the North, #6)

“Thou knowest our hearts, thou knowest our inmost beings, and we thank thee that thou lovest us anyway, for we are thy children and the sheep of thy pasture. Keep us in thy will that we may bring glory and honor to thy name. In Jesus’ blessed name we pray. Amen.” 0 likes
“Knowing in her head that God knew of His plans for her and convincing her heart were two different things.” 0 likes