New York and Los Angeles: Politics, Society, and Culture--A Comparative View

New York and Los Angeles: Politics, Society, and Culture--A Comparative View

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  3 ratings  ·  2 reviews
No two cities are more symbolic of the modern American metropolis than New York and Los Angeles. But while New York boasts a recently revitalized urban center, Los Angeles is the classic example of sprawl and decentralization, with multiple clusters of economic and social activity dispersed throughout its surrounding area.

This volume presents advanced studies that consider...more
Published August 15th 2003 by University Of Chicago Press

Angela
I'm taking a course from this book's editor; I'm hoping he will be the external member of my doctoral committee. He's a sweet British sociologist with a commanding mastery of technology (something that cannot be said of many profs) and he concentrates on urban aesthetics. So far I've only read the intro (by Halle, pronounced like "valley" just as with the comet of my youth) but other articles by experts of various topics look cool too. I'll let you know.

Dr. Halle, by the way, is a typically wit...more
Christopher David Kaufman
Jun 10, 2010 Christopher David Kaufman is currently reading it
Dig deeper under these two cities and learn what makes them tick from local politics, crime, art or culture.. Its all here.. Some chapters get dry with tons of statistics, while others enlighten with changes like how Harlem is now in its next make-over... Or how suburb people are re-entering the city.. Okay unless you really dig Sociology its not that great.. But hey its all written by the top professors in their fields..
P. Martin Lund
P. Martin Lund marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Christopher Kaufman
Christopher Kaufman marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2013
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2012
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Ricarte Echevarria
Ricarte Echevarria marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2010
Evokateur
Evokateur marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2010
Beza
Beza added it
Jun 15, 2009
Laura added it
Feb 21, 2007
Inside Culture: Art and Class in the American Home New York and Los Angeles: The Uncertain Future America's Working Man: Work, Home, and Politics Among Blue Collar Property Owners New York's New Edge: Contemporary Art, the High Line, and Urban Megaprojects on the Far West Side America's Working Man: Work, Home, and Politics Among Blue Collar Property Owners