Start by marking “French Provincial Cooking” as Want to Read:
French Provincial Cooking

French Provincial Cooking

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,027 ratings  ·  27 reviews
First published in 1962, Elizabeth David's culinary odyssey through provincial France forever changed the way we think about food. With elegant simplicity, David explores the authentic flavors and textures of time-honored cuisines from such provinces as Alsace, Provence, Brittany, and the Savoie. Full of cooking ideas and recipes, French Provincial Cooking is a scholarly y ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Penguin Classics (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about French Provincial Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Provincial Cooking

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
56th out of 851 books — 860 voters
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Food-Related Non-Fiction
149th out of 643 books — 1,241 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina
Feb 04, 2008 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: foodies
Shelves: cooking, travel
Elizabeth David is the british equivalent of Julia Childs. They were both exploring French cuisine while living as expats in France during the 1950's (David also lived in Italy, and Greece). She gathered traditional french provincial (think simple) recipes back to England. This book, published in 1960, had the same revolutionary effect on english cooking that Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking had on american.

It is a fun read and the recipes are quite good. The recipes are not what we'r
Denise Romeo
Lengthy coverage of all things edible in Europe by the definitive British food journalist Elizabeth David. Read more at http://www.welike2cook.com/2012/04/tunny-fish-polpettone.html.
Caitlin
I grew up reading through cookbooks as if they were novels. I spent a lot of time in my Seattle grandmother's kitchen, or my family's kitchen, sitting on the floor and reading cookbooks and looking at pictures (when I wasn't doing sous chef duties). Cooking or baking occurred throughout these times, as did conversation on many topics, but the cookbook in my lap always had a lot of my attention. I still read them like novels.

I learned to cook and bake through osmosis - watching and helping and ea
Jac
love her aristocratic style, curt, take no prisoners. she assumes you know the basics and would not deign to describe how to chop an onion. has no use for 'chefs' it is after all just cookery. the inclusion of excerpts of other writers, some of them very old, is delightful. and yes, the recipes are great.
tessa maria lalonde
hm, her writing about food and experience is amazing, her insights about packing the piehole--oh what joy! but unfortunately this person is, ahem, of her times and extraordinarily racist and classist. total fader, babes.
^
Nov 24, 2014 ^ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to learn about France
I’ve needed a new copy of this book for some years now; the spine of the book I own has more than cracked; it has entirely separated down its length into two halves; facilitating a number of the bolder pages to detach and rashly make their individual bids for freedom. Two elastic bands tentatively hold all together. But for how much longer?

This is one of the books which taught me how to hunt through the London markets of Covent Garden and Leadenhall, and how to cook what I found there. Why was I
Mike
Possibly the best French cookbook ever written in English. David, an Englishwoman, provided an introspection into French country cooking before Julia Child captured America's heart with it—in fact, as I understand it, David was an inspiration to Child. There's not a bunch of fancy color photos here, instead, you'll find mainly pen-and-ink line drawings, but there's a wealth of text, good recipes, and pithy details on how and why things were done the way they were in provincial France. Remember, ...more
Linn Steward
I love Elizabeth David's food books and this one is probably my favorite.
Michelle
Before my French provincial mother passed away, I forgot to ask her to pass on the recipe for a particularly delicious chocolate cake that she would sometimes make. I thought this cake was lost for all eternity until I stumbled upon it in this book.

One of the few cookbooks that contains recipes for dishes that aren't particularly great, but allow you to dispose of glut fruits and vegetables. Invaluable if you get a veg box delivered!

Worth reading as literature even if you aren't planning a meal.
Ann Redmond
I bought this book in the mid-1970's and still refer to it. It transcends food trends with its basic understanding of what "simple", good cooking is.
erik

If you care about food, hunger for authenticity and context, and you're not afraid of a little ambiguity, you owe it to yourself to read Elizabeth David's Italian Food and French Provincal Cooking. Elizabeth David's books, along with Richard Olney's Simple French Food, were the inspirations behind Chez Panisse and indirectly helped to spark America's interest in what it puts in its mouth.
Redsteve
Excellent cookbook. My favorite kind, with no pictures except a few line drawings. Good receipes, cooking techniques (both specific to said recepies and general), and food theory. The only useless (to me) parts were a lot of commentary on the post-war availability of various ingredients in France and England - which is probably not accurate in 2012.
Laylee
Elizabeth David is credited with revolutionizing the way England cooked and ate, championing simple food made with fresh ingredients and lovingly prepared. In French Provincial Cooking, she takes her readers through a culinary tour of the provinces of France, presenting both the history of and recipes for some of France's most famous dishes.
Linda
A classic, and yet.....
David is a great writer which makes the bias and dated aspects of the text all the more difficult to bear. It is a crystalized moment in time, when the Anglo-American middle class finally recovered psychically from World War II food rationing. A cookbook, it ain't.
Al Maki
It's one of the dozen cook books I refer to most.
Jason Goodwin
I think this was the book that taught me how to cook. It's opinionated, dirigiste, superbly written and selected, and if curse all the recipes not only work - they take you off to a France that went out when a DS was a very sexy car, not a games console.

Tim
As with most of her books you can read it not just as a cookbook but as a good read. I have several editions of this including an early paperback. The current edition is about 2 1/2 times the size and 3 times the thickness, why?
Keswickian
This book takes you into the French countryside in the 1950's. It is a joy to discover recipes and anecdotes written about food by this wonderful writer.
Paulo Sebastiao
Really liked the cultural references in the book and how Elizabeth David writes. I must confess that I skimmed through the recipes though.
Steve Bennett
A book to admire from a behaviour changing writer, haven't used a single recipe from it 'though.
Alicia Delp
a classic. directions and discussions more than typical recipes
Karen Stone
learnt to cook french food from this book
R.
worth the price for the section on sauces alone
Rissi
Fun to read and great recipes.
Michael

Elizabeth David writes like an angel.
Anna
Jul 13, 2011 Anna marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook, nonfic
also look for other Penguin cookbooks
Romi
Poignant. Love this one.
Sherri Hinkle
Sherri Hinkle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Andy Harding
Andy Harding marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • Roast Chicken and Other Stories
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • The River Cottage Cookbook
  • The Cook's Companion
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater
  • The Oxford Companion to Food
  • Delia Smith's Christmas: 130 Recipes for Christmas
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • Bistro Cooking
12090
Born Elizabeth Gwynne, she was of mixed English and Irish ancestry, and came from a rather grand background, growing up in the 17th-century Sussex manor house, Wootton Manor. Her parents were Rupert Gwynne, Conservative MP for Eastbourne, and the Hon. Stella Ridley, who came from a distinguished Northumberland family. They had three other daughters.

She studied Literature and History at the Sorbonn
More about Elizabeth David...
An Omelette and a Glass of Wine Italian Food A Book of Mediterranean Food English Bread And Yeast Cookery Summer Cooking