Coyote Wind

Coyote Wind (Gabriel Du Pre #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A cowboy has found the wreck of the plane that had been missing for 30 years. Gabriel Du Pre, cattle-brand inspector who doubles as a deputy, sees that one of the sun-bleached skulls, the one with the bullet hole, doesn't belong. He wants to avoid the matter, but a rich man's demons, another murder and Du Pre's own past keep pulling him back--to the truth. Martin's Press.
Paperback
Published August 1st 1996 by St Martins Mass Market Paper (first published July 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Wind

Dale
This is a book about character and place. The murder mystery moves the story forward, but is used mostly to tell us about the character of Gabriel DuPre. In fact, it doesn't really work well as a murder mystery because its solution comes mostly from a deus ex machina in the form of a local quasi-shaman / full time drunkard named Benetsee. DuPre solves the mystery, but only after getting not so subtle hints from Benetsee. Even then it wasn't clear (to me) how DuPre made the logical leap that led...more
Randy
Montana cattle brand inspector and part time lawman Gabriel Du Pre, a Metis(pronounced Meh-tee, French for mixed blood) is asked to accompany a cowboy who'd claimed to have found a crashed plane in the mountains while hunting. The FAA, not missing any planes, wants proof it's not just some drunken cowboy's fantasies.

It's not and it's not a recent crash either. Every piece of metal is rusted and bones are scattered all over. Du Pre finds a skull with a bullet still rattling around in the brain ca...more
Wilma Rebstock
Very enjoyable little western. I like Peter Bowen's writing style.
Elaine Cramer
I borrowed this audiobook from the library, only on the basis of the Coyote in the title. I have a unique understanding of Coyote, but that is another story.

I very much liked this story, as read by Christopher Lane. I love the characters. Gabriel Du Pré, Madelaine, Benetsee, Bart, Maria, Jaquelaine, all her kids.

Du Pré is a cattle inspector, fiddler, and now, thanks to Benetsee, a reluctant detective.

Oh heck. I suck at reviews. I just really fell in love with the characters and the Métis way, a...more
Debbie
From Amazon.com review by Nathan W. Casebolt:

Gabriel Du Pré is a simple Métis, descended from First Nation and French Canadian stock. He earns his keep as a Montana cow brand inspector, but sometimes serves as an on-call law enforcer. So when a small, decades-old plane wreck is discovered in the mountains, the sheriff asks Du Pré to check it out. And everything checks out as you’d expect, except for that extra skull with a bullet rattling inside it.

I WAS LOOKING forward to this new series whic...more
Steve
Not much of a mystery really. Interesting characters and history, but just not much of a mystery. And, for a 150 pp book, need to get it going sooner than page 80. Not a real feel of MT either, despite being set there. I'll give another of his books a try if I come across it, and hope it grabs me a bit more than this one did. Bowen also did a "Yellowstone Kelly" cowboy series before these Du Pre titles, but nothing published since 2006.
Francis
I love to read mysteries and I have read many of them, many. As a result I rarely use adjectives like, fresh, new, unique, etc., when reviewing a book. The genre is steeped in tradition and haunted (in a good way) by the likes of Doyle, Christie, Carr, Chandler, Rendell and many others. As a result, many good writers and some not so good, follow in the foot steps of those who wrote before them. I'm not complaining, in fact, it's interesting to mentally trace the pedigree of new detectives.

As goo...more
Ed
Du Pre is not a man of his times, he is a man of his place. As such I think he would be more at home in the red hat of the wanderers three hundred years ago, or on the back of a horse a hundred years ago. But in today's world he is just a little lost. But in all times he could be no where else but in the big sky country. His love for his family, "his women who take care of him" whether he wants them to or not is the thread that binds the stories together. I enjoyed the book very much, I've read...more
Pamela
Peter Bowen is not an award winning writer, but in this series he has captured the essence of Metis life in north central Montana. These are a self-aware people who really exist, and Gabriel Du Pre represents the best and worst of them. Plus, he plays fiddle, a central aspect of Metis culture.
I was introduced to the series by the leader of my Sweat Lodge at a time when I was just beginning to explore my Metis heritage. I strongly identify myself as "mixed-blood" now, but the journey was often c...more
Andrea
I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what I think. I knew nothing of the Metis, peoples of a blend of Native American and French spanning an area that crosses the border between the US and Canada, nothing at all. That was a big surprise and I enjoyed getting a flavour of it, but I couldn't tell how true to life it might be at all. It seemed in some ways to be a kind of cajun caricature that I imagine residing in the Lousiana swamps and I always worry about the reduction of people to caricatures. But I...more
Steve
Ah, Gabriel Du Pre, a "two lane man in a four lane world." This is the first volume in this fascinating series, in which Du Pre reluctantly solves a decades-old mystery of bad blood between families. One aspect that makes these books so much fun is the characters. Madeline is his sweetheart, brash and jealous. Jacquelyn and Maria are his daughters: Jacquelyn has many children, but Maria wants a college education. And there's Booger Tom, the old unrepentant cowboy, Bart Fascelli, a rich Easterner...more
Rich Finnigan
low key, very interesting
Elaine
This is the first book in a murder mystery series about Gabriel Du Pre , a mixed blood French Indian, cattle brand inspector, who sometimes moonlights as a detective in Montana. If you like Tony Hillerman , you will enjoy this unusual character who struggles with his traditional beliefs and living in the wide open spaces
of Montana. The setting gives you a feel of the local history and people who inhabit the wild west.
Andrea
Du Pre is a "cattle brand inspector" in Montana. He is brought in by the short handed Sheffif's Dept to take a look at a plane wreck in the mountains -

Du Pre reports some strange findings at the wreck - including a severed head - all have been there for 30 years.

This would have been a great read if there werent so many holes in the story.

Rhyannon
Absolutely delightful!!!! Shared it with Dan and made him homesick! He grew up in Montana about 60 miles from the "story" area. And being a French Canadian just added to it. I love Du Pre, and his women. I am also very happy that my crazy mom recommended this series.
Kae Cheatham
Another case of more about the character than the mystery. At least the character's background connected directly with the mystery. Interesting use of Metís language style. I don't know how authentic, however Bowen is from MT. It still seemed a bit of a caricature.
Susan
Re-read this first of the Peter Bowen Gabriel Du Pre mysteries and was as impressed the 2nd time as the first. Excellent characterization anchors this quirky mystery set in Montana. You will find yorself thinking in the patois of Du Pre after a day or so.
Ron Wallace
Right up there with Robert Parker, Bowen has created a character of supreme intellect, great wit and readability. Fast paced, funny, thought provoking. Du Pre demands respect. I'll read 'em all, can't get enough.
Sheila
This book is the first in the Gabriel Du Pre series. Gabriel is a different kind of law enforcement officer. Native Indian brand inspector/part time cop. I like it and give it 3 stars.
Tessa Eger
Interesting, good plot and characters, but kinda crude and fairly violent. Maybe later, but I sure don't want to read two in a row...Men would probably like it.
Jim
Aug 23, 2013 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jim by: Amazon
This is not really a western novel. It takes place out west, but is a kind of mystery novel. I liked it and will maybe read more of this series.
Sandra
Charming story of a Metis Indian named Gabriel Du Pre who is a cattle brand monitor, occasional sheriff deputy. Loved it.
Rick Bostian
I liked it ... the first Peter Bowen book I've read ... I'm looking for more of his stuff.
Avary
Strangely written, but I liked the characters much -- I keep thinking about them.
Michele bookloverforever
Gabriel DuPre is an eccentric character surrounded by other eccentrics.
Helen
terse but with humor and poignancy
Dorothy Webb
Thought it would be better.
Elaine
Aug 10, 2012 Elaine added it
Terrific...
Lee
Lee added it
Sep 01, 2014
Peter Bowen (b. 1945) is an author best known for mystery novels set in the modern American West. When he was ten, Bowen’s family moved to Bozeman, Montana, where a paper route introduced him to the grizzled old cowboys who frequented a bar called The Oaks. Listening to their stories, some of which stretched back to the 1870s, Bowen found inspiration for his later fiction.

Following time at the Uni...more
More about Peter Bowen...
Wolf, No Wolf Badlands Thunder Horse Specimen Song Notches