Start by marking “Coyote Wind” as Want to Read:
Coyote Wind

Coyote Wind (Gabriel Du Pre #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  290 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
A cowboy has found the wreck of the plane that had been missing for 30 years. Gabriel Du Pre, cattle-brand inspector who doubles as a deputy, sees that one of the sun-bleached skulls, the one with the bullet hole, doesn't belong. He wants to avoid the matter, but a rich man's demons, another murder and Du Pre's own past keep pulling him back--to the truth. Martin's Press.
Paperback
Published August 1st 1996 by St Martins Mass Market Paper (first published July 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote Wind

Dale
May 15, 2013 Dale rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is a book about character and place. The murder mystery moves the story forward, but is used mostly to tell us about the character of Gabriel DuPre. In fact, it doesn't really work well as a murder mystery because its solution comes mostly from a deus ex machina in the form of a local quasi-shaman / full time drunkard named Benetsee. DuPre solves the mystery, but only after getting not so subtle hints from Benetsee. Even then it wasn't clear (to me) how DuPre made the logical leap that led ...more
Randy
Feb 07, 2013 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Montana cattle brand inspector and part time lawman Gabriel Du Pre, a Metis(pronounced Meh-tee, French for mixed blood) is asked to accompany a cowboy who'd claimed to have found a crashed plane in the mountains while hunting. The FAA, not missing any planes, wants proof it's not just some drunken cowboy's fantasies.

It's not and it's not a recent crash either. Every piece of metal is rusted and bones are scattered all over. Du Pre finds a skull with a bullet still rattling around in the brain ca
Doug
Oct 03, 2015 Doug rated it really liked it
Shelves: canada
For anyone from Alberta/Montana it's a fun read. Cross border history and brisk patois dialogue. Wished it ended better.
Elaine Cramer
I borrowed this audiobook from the library, only on the basis of the Coyote in the title. I have a unique understanding of Coyote, but that is another story.

I very much liked this story, as read by Christopher Lane. I love the characters. Gabriel Du Pré, Madelaine, Benetsee, Bart, Maria, Jaquelaine, all her kids.

Du Pré is a cattle inspector, fiddler, and now, thanks to Benetsee, a reluctant detective.

Oh heck. I suck at reviews. I just really fell in love with the characters and the Métis way, a
Elaine
Sep 01, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a murder mystery series about Gabriel Du Pre , a mixed blood French Indian, cattle brand inspector, who sometimes moonlights as a detective in Montana. If you like Tony Hillerman , you will enjoy this unusual character who struggles with his traditional beliefs and living in the wide open spaces
of Montana. The setting gives you a feel of the local history and people who inhabit the wild west.
Jose Bakker
May 03, 2015 Jose Bakker rated it really liked it
Loved the character of Gabriel Du Pre, a Metis living in Montana who becomes a reluctant detective after the wreck of a plane is found.
Wilma Rebstock
Aug 06, 2013 Wilma Rebstock rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable little western. I like Peter Bowen's writing style.
Debbie
Jan 11, 2011 Debbie rated it did not like it
From Amazon.com review by Nathan W. Casebolt:

Gabriel Du Pré is a simple Métis, descended from First Nation and French Canadian stock. He earns his keep as a Montana cow brand inspector, but sometimes serves as an on-call law enforcer. So when a small, decades-old plane wreck is discovered in the mountains, the sheriff asks Du Pré to check it out. And everything checks out as you’d expect, except for that extra skull with a bullet rattling inside it.

I WAS LOOKING forward to this new series whic
Kathleen Callum
Mar 14, 2015 Kathleen Callum rated it really liked it
Shelves: métis, mystery
Peter Bowen's Gabriel Du Pré series is challenging to categorize. Are they mysteries? This series certainly boasts page turners. American Regional Fiction? The series recalls the wide, windy plains of Montana's cattle country. Perhaps they truly represent the Métis? That is, partly Native American, partly French, and partly haunting fiddle music. But most of all, this series extends a robust welcome for us to romp along with Du Pré and his cast of quirky characters.
Steve
Apr 26, 2014 Steve rated it it was ok
Not much of a mystery really. Interesting characters and history, but just not much of a mystery. And, for a 150 pp book, need to get it going sooner than page 80. Not a real feel of MT either, despite being set there. I'll give another of his books a try if I come across it, and hope it grabs me a bit more than this one did. Bowen also did a "Yellowstone Kelly" cowboy series before these Du Pre titles, but nothing published since 2006.
Cindy Veneris
Oct 09, 2015 Cindy Veneris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best mysteries I have read in a while. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. A great mix of characters, plot, Montana and Metis' history. I like the style of the writing, the way you hear what Gabriel's thoughts are, in addition to his spoken words.
Francis
Aug 30, 2012 Francis rated it really liked it
I love to read mysteries and I have read many of them, many. As a result I rarely use adjectives like, fresh, new, unique, etc., when reviewing a book. The genre is steeped in tradition and haunted (in a good way) by the likes of Doyle, Christie, Carr, Chandler, Rendell and many others. As a result, many good writers and some not so good, follow in the foot steps of those who wrote before them. I'm not complaining, in fact, it's interesting to mentally trace the pedigree of new detectives.

As goo
Ed
Mar 22, 2012 Ed rated it it was amazing
Du Pre is not a man of his times, he is a man of his place. As such I think he would be more at home in the red hat of the wanderers three hundred years ago, or on the back of a horse a hundred years ago. But in today's world he is just a little lost. But in all times he could be no where else but in the big sky country. His love for his family, "his women who take care of him" whether he wants them to or not is the thread that binds the stories together. I enjoyed the book very much, I've read ...more
Nikki
Jan 16, 2016 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This could have been a fairly good story but everything was written in the verbiage of someone who doesn't speak English well, which was extremely distracting.
John Grose
Dec 26, 2015 John Grose rated it liked it
After reading Ash Child, I went back to the beginning. This time I listened to the book instead of reading it. The pidgin still bothered me - authentic or not - but less in this format.
Sunshine✰✰✰
This seemed very choppy to me. The writing, the dialogue, the storyline. It wasn't really a mystery either. Being the first in a series, it seems to be more of an introduction of the characters and some background. You learn about who Gabriel Du Pre is, his life with his two daughters, and his new girlfriend.
Pamela
Jun 11, 2012 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Bowen is not an award winning writer, but in this series he has captured the essence of Metis life in north central Montana. These are a self-aware people who really exist, and Gabriel Du Pre represents the best and worst of them. Plus, he plays fiddle, a central aspect of Metis culture.
I was introduced to the series by the leader of my Sweat Lodge at a time when I was just beginning to explore my Metis heritage. I strongly identify myself as "mixed-blood" now, but the journey was often c
Joy
Jul 05, 2015 Joy rated it it was ok
Did not like this book, I had a problem with the main character speaking "broken" English when he was born in Montana and so where his ancestors, seemed disjointed.
Kristi Cramer
Jan 02, 2015 Kristi Cramer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked this story. The artist reading it did a very good job.
The ending/resolution was rather depressing, but fitting.
Andrea
Jan 01, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-noir, go-west
I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what I think. I knew nothing of the Metis, peoples of a blend of Native American and French spanning an area that crosses the border between the US and Canada, nothing at all. That was a big surprise and I enjoyed getting a flavour of it, but I couldn't tell how true to life it might be at all. It seemed in some ways to be a kind of cajun caricature that I imagine residing in the Lousiana swamps and I always worry about the reduction of people to caricatures. But I ...more
David
Jan 06, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good Native American mystery. I liked reading about the connection with the French voyageurs.
Leslie Dempsey
Oct 28, 2014 Leslie Dempsey rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book, the taste of Montana, the characters who are genuine and interesting.
Sunbonnetquilter
May 25, 2015 Sunbonnetquilter rated it it was amazing
This is very well written and gets into the culture of the people in the setting.
Margaret
Nov 21, 2014 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
Wanders slowly to a conclusion but the main character seems fractured.
Steve
Aug 31, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
Ah, Gabriel Du Pre, a "two lane man in a four lane world." This is the first volume in this fascinating series, in which Du Pre reluctantly solves a decades-old mystery of bad blood between families. One aspect that makes these books so much fun is the characters. Madeline is his sweetheart, brash and jealous. Jacquelyn and Maria are his daughters: Jacquelyn has many children, but Maria wants a college education. And there's Booger Tom, the old unrepentant cowboy, Bart Fascelli, a rich Easterner ...more
Lane
Jan 06, 2016 Lane rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
a god story with Du Pre as the main character. Easy read
Melody Mees Bass
Sep 14, 2015 Melody Mees Bass rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-authors
I loved this book. I'm planning to read the rest of the books in this series immediately.
Rich Finnigan
Apr 06, 2014 Rich Finnigan rated it it was amazing
low key, very interesting
Mary Stenvall
Oct 27, 2015 Mary Stenvall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one. The cadence reminds me of Cajuns I have known.
Steve Payne
DNF I couldn't get past the language with the incomplete sentences. It sounded like Cajun to me. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting.
A Sampler of Western Authors 1 2 Aug 07, 2015 12:18PM
  • A Long Walk Up the Water Slide (Neal Carey #4)
  • Wife of Moon (Wind River Reservation, #10)
  • Wild Inferno (A Wild Mystery #2)
  • The Prodigal Nun (Sister Agatha, #5)
  • Dance of the Thunder Dogs
  • Scavengers (Posadas County Mystery, #1)
  • The Shaman Sings (Charlie Moon, #1)
  • Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
  • Mad Dog & Englishman (Mad Dog & Englishman, #1)
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery (Guthrie and Vasquez Mystery, #1)
  • Silvermeadow (Brock & Kolla, #5)
Peter Bowen (b. 1945) is an author best known for mystery novels set in the modern American West. When he was ten, Bowen’s family moved to Bozeman, Montana, where a paper route introduced him to the grizzled old cowboys who frequented a bar called The Oaks. Listening to their stories, some of which stretched back to the 1870s, Bowen found inspiration for his later fiction.

Following time at the Uni
More about Peter Bowen...

Gabriel Du Pre (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Specimen Song
  • Cruzatte and Maria
  • Ash Child
  • Badlands
  • The Tumbler

“Kill a Montanan, you got to cut off their head, bury it where they can’t find it.” 0 likes