Start by marking “For I Am Zeus: A Collection of Plays About Greek Mythology ” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  7 reviews
For I Am Zeus: A Collection of Plays About Greek Mythology contains six short plays about the most entertaining of the Greek gods. Join Zeus as he suffers through marriage counseling, makes an indecent proposal to his sisters, and tries to sleep with anything that moves.
Published May 2nd 2012 by createspace

To ask other readers questions about For I Am Zeus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For I Am Zeus

Dawn
I won this play through a goodreads giveaway! I was thrilled to have won this one! And even more so, now that I've read it!

I was hooked with the first story, "For I Am Zeus" which had me laughing out loud. The writing really flowed nicely and I enjoyed the exchange of Lindsey and Zeus. It was extremely clever!

The character exchanges throughout had me wanting to go back and read up on my greek mythology again. I am torn about which character I liked more: Hera or Medusa! I really liked how Medus
Everett Robert
Mar 10, 2013 Everett Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Theater goers, theater lovers, actors, playwrights, directors
Shelves: plays-and-drama
For I Am Zeus is a collection of 6 short plays in one collection by playwright Crystal Smith-Connelly that presents a humorous look at the amorous adventures of the Greek god Zeus and his sexual conquests.

I'm a big fan of ancient Greek comedy with their base and ribald jokes and social messages. Smith-Connelly seems to be influenced by them as well. These plays, while chock fill of jokes, looks at things like the bar scene, speed dating, marriage counseling, reality show television, and religio
Anthony
Nov 12, 2012 Anthony rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
When I borrowed a copy of this book from a friend, I thought it would be very entertaining, especially since I love Greek mythology and hate Zeus. Sadly, this book was a major waste of time.

The author's writing style is comparable to that of a child. Her characters were cheap imitations of their mythological origins, and the storyline was practically nonexistent other that the title of each "play".

the entirety of this "book" was composition of slapstick humor (not even the good kind)and poor wri
William Stuart

My Review

For I Am Zeus: A Collection of Plays About Greek Mythology by playwright Crystal Smith-Connelly. I am not normally a reader of plays, but I gave this book a shot. The snappy dialogue, irreverent humor, and refreshing take on Zeus and other figures of Greek mythology pleasantly surprised me. I laughed at Zeus and his antics and at the responses from his targets for seduction.

While I would prefer to see the plays on a stage, readin
Chris
Entertaining, but somewhat repeative if read straight though.

Favorite play was the one with Ganyemeade.

Would be useful for a teacher trying to engage students' interst in mythology.
Alice Hambright
This is an excellent book of short plays. Irreverent and often laugh-out-loud funny. I would love to see them performed. You need to read this book!
Tiffany
All I can say is that while I got a few laughs out of it, that is because I really hate Zeus. By the way, I am surprised someone hates Zeus more than I. If one does not like Greek mythology, I would recommend something else.
I had several problems with this poorly executed book, which include the following:
Characters- while hilarious and consistent with Greek mythology, do not appear to have much depth to them.
Repetitiveness- while I found the quips involving Zeus's incestual tendencies and beast
Gary M. Lange, Ph.D.
Gary M. Lange, Ph.D. marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Courtney Wendleton
Courtney Wendleton marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Lee Robert
Lee Robert marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Nicola Montague
Nicola Montague marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Dhiren
Dhiren marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
John Bundgaard
John Bundgaard marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Tanner Jaggers
Tanner Jaggers marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Nicki Relf
Nicki Relf marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Man Solo
Man Solo marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Danny
Danny is currently reading it
May 24, 2013
Lynn Bowman
Lynn Bowman marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Laura Camelo munevar
Laura Camelo munevar marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Mwatrous11
Mwatrous11 marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2012
Tehya Boone
Tehya Boone marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
Leeland Artra
Leeland Artra marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
  • Four Tragedies and Octavia
  • Victory Tales Press presents 2012 Fall/Paranormal collection
  • Iphigenia in Aulis
  • A Love for the Beautiful: Discovering America's Hidden Art Museums
  • Bound by Revenge (Guardian Series, #1)
  • Dog Sees God
  • Proxy
  • Touched by the Magic (The Academy Series #1)
  • The Cat Who Said...Dance!
  • Kira, Daughter of the Moon
  • Love of Cooking: Volume I
  • Oh My Gods: A Modern Retelling of Greek and Roman Myths
  • Hell Inc.
  • Adderwald
  • Angels & Warriors: The Awakening
  • The Women
  • Blue Sun
Crystal Smith-Connelly has written more than fifty plays, some of which have been performed in New York, Los Angeles, Maryland, and France. Known for her twisted sense of humor, she counts Trey Parker and Matt Stone, Steve Martin, Conan O'Brien, Sarah Silverman, and Tina Fey among her influences and hopes that someday Will Ferrell will star as Zeus in one of her plays. Crystal lives with her husba ...more
More about Crystal Smith-Connelly...
Never Trust an Angel and Other Plays Goat Herpes and Other Problems Paranormal Jokes and Haiku Goat Herpes and Other Problems