Start by marking “The Rites of Odin” as Want to Read:
The Rites of Odin

The Rites of Odin

Open the door to the ancient Norse world of magic and spirituality with The Rites of Odin by Ed Fitch. The ancient religion of Northern Europe was one of remarkable strength and power, as well as magic and beauty. Its adherents were themselves a solid and adventurous lot: the Norse, Slavs, Germans, ancient Russians, and of course, the Vikings.

The Rites of Odin is a comple
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Rites of Odin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rites of Odin

Ruby Hollyberry
Jun 05, 2010 Ruby Hollyberry rated it did not like it
Shelves: magick
This author has absolutely ZERO idea what he is talking about. Never bother with this, it is totally invented crap by someone who failed to even read up on the subject.
Nov 14, 2010 Andrea rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion, occult
Basically just as spot on as Lewellyn's other books - that is, utter garbage. Not worth buying, and not worth reading.
Jan 31, 2008 Ranae rated it did not like it
Pick up this book if you want to know what the Norse traditions are not. Actually that is most likely what people do. I am surprised Llewellyn let this one be published.
Sep 18, 2014 Wulf rated it did not like it
This book was a gift from a friend. I initially was interested in it, just to see what it was about, as it was the first book I had read Norse related from Llewellyn. The Rites of Odin is a book in Llewellyn's Teutonic Magick Series. The word "Magick" is a dead giveaway of what I found inside.

The book itself is a quick read. It covers basic subjects that most beginner books would cover. It also has a craft/brewing section. To someone new coming into Heathenry, this book would seem like a good s
May 23, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: beginning neopagans, Llewellyn fans, Heathens
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
Shelves: magic
The main thing I can say in this book's defense is that there wasn't much else around at the time it was published. Its purpose was to present a program for neo-pagans interested in the Norse mythos (today known as "Heathens"). It does this essentially by giving a bunch of predictable and unimaginative rituals that the user could have more profitably written themselves, if there had been some background information about the gods and the religious context. Fitch provides extremely little of that ...more
Feb 29, 2016 Kathy rated it did not like it
Shelves: paganism
This book is absolutely terrible if you are a Heathen. If you're not than it might be of use to you in the sense that all the information is Wiccan friendly or catered to Wiccans with a "Heathen" spin. Basically if you don't know anything go ahead and read this book, but take it with a grain of salt. This guy is very ignorant and didn't do much research about the topic itself.

I bought this book when I knew nothing of my path. Now as a seasoned person I can't read this book without laughing at h
Jan 12, 2016 Casandra rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book; there isn't a whole lot of extensive literature on Norse pagan ways (/Odinism/Asatru) so I was really looking forward to some insight... However a lot of it contains bastardized Christian holidays/traditions "made Viking like" and it was very inauthentic. I don't really think the author knows what he's talking about, or maybe he was lead astray by other people that didn't.. Either way it was disappointing.
If you're looking for a Neo-Norse book that has not
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Putting aside statements early on in the book that call a childless person a "genetic dead end" and warns individuals " . . . not to call unwarranted attention to oneself by being particularly different . . ." (CONFORM!), this is an interesting guide to Heathen custom and ritual as a lifestyle. It is, however, only one author's compilation. It should not be the sole source of information on Heathenry in one's library for one who is truly interested in the path.
Cheyenne Gordon
Sep 24, 2015 Cheyenne Gordon rated it liked it
Shelves: gods
It's not a bad book if you get down to it some things are wrong but it is just from one person's perspective so that is usually what you will get. However there are some very helpful and useful things in it so I say its an okay book to begin with but you defiantly need to look at others.
Sep 03, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok
I enjoyed some of the wording, good to inspire me to write something better however, it is not a very good book and not at all very useful to me.
Kind of a how-to for Norse ceremonies. Good basic info, though a few oddball things with regards to the runes.
Michael Wilson
Michael Wilson rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2011
Rebecca rated it did not like it
May 13, 2013
Eric Williamson
Eric Williamson rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2015
H A rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Morgan rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2013
December Óðr
December Óðr rated it did not like it
Apr 04, 2012
Arthur Ebsen
Arthur Ebsen rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Vixx rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
August rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Joni Stevens
Joni Stevens rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Paul rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2015
Rev. Lucien
Rev. Lucien rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Andrana Fox
Andrana Fox rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2014
Michele D'angelo
Michele D'angelo rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
Boots Smith
Boots Smith rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Beverly rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2009
Wolf Wickham
Wolf Wickham rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Dragonlady-sci-fi-fantasy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Celeste rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Norse Magic
  • In the Shadow of the Shaman: Connecting with Self, Nature, and Spirit
  • Essential Asatru: Walking the Path of Norse Paganism
  • What Witches Do: A Modern Coven Revealed
  • Wiccan Warrior: Walking a Spiritual Path in a Sometimes Hostile World
  • Northern Tradition for the Solitary Practitioner: A Book of Prayer, Devotional Practice, and the Nine Worlds of Spirit
  • Positive Magic: Occult Self-Help
  • The Book of Lilith
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy
  • Teutonic Magic: The Magical & Spiritual Practices of the Germanic Peoples
  • Pagan Paths: A Guide to Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, Shamanism and Other Pagan Practices
  • Magic, Witchcraft, and Religion: An Anthropological Study of the Supernatural
  • To Ride a Silver Broomstick: New Generation Witchcraft
  • Sons of the Goddess: A Young Man's Guide to Wicca
  • The Storyteller's Goddess: Tales of the Goddess and Her Wisdom from Around the World
  • Color Magick (Closed): Unleash Your Inner Powers
  • Spells and How They Work
  • Zolar's Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Dreams: Fully Revised and Updated for the 21st Century
Also used Edward Fitch on some books. Also has gone by "Ea" and was initiated into the Gardnerian tradition by Ray and Rosemary Buckland in 1967.
More about Ed Fitch...