Start by marking “A Dreamer's Tales” as Want to Read:
A Dreamer's Tales

A Dreamer's Tales

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  29 reviews

Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany (1878-1957) was an Anglo-Irish writer and dramatist, notable for his work in fantasy published under the name Lord Dunsany. He was a prolific writer, penning short stories, novels, plays, poetry, essays and autobiography, and publishing over sixty books, not including individual plays. The stories in his first two bo

Published November 3rd 2006 by Hard Press (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about A Dreamer's Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dreamer's Tales

Nandakishore Varma
There was a time, lost in the mists of antiquity, when the dreamer could wander his fantasy land at will and set down his/her experiences on paper at leisure, without worrying about deadlines and contracts: when he/she could pen his words without worrying whether his book will hit the bestseller charts or not: when writing was pure pleasure. Lord Dunsany was a product of those times.

A Dreamer's Tales is exactly that: a bunch of stories, fables and legends (and some pieces which defy any kind of
Oscar
Las historias de Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, o Lord Dunsany, como ha trascendido literariamente, tienen la virtud de ser intemporales. Creó un universo propio, rico en lenguaje, cuyo germen es lo fantástico y onírico. Ciudades prodigiosas, nombres fabulosos, evocadores, y una prosa cercana a la poesía, así como una gran imaginación, hacen de Lord Dunsany un escritor único. Incluso hay un término para referirse a este tipo de literatura, dunsaniana. Lovecraft, Tolkien o Borges son algunos ...more
Karl
In the Twilight 165
The Ghosts 170
The Whirlpool
Isidore
My rating reflects my opinion of the Wildside Press edition, not of Dunsany's wonderful tales!

Wildside Press does much good by resurrecting rare old books, but this edition of Dunsany's classic has some of the worst typos I have ever seen. For example:

Page 34: Instead of "Never since then have I seen my city alive," Wildside has: "Now since then have I seen my city alive," disastrously reversing the meaning of the sentence, at the very climax of "The Madness of Andelsprutz".

Page 111: Instead of
Chelsea
Lord Dunsany is one of my favorite authors. The Beggars is my favorite short story of all time. If you love poetic prose à la Homer, Tolkien, Gibran, and the Song of Songs, then you should read Lord Dunsany. His fantastic imagination and romantic prose is unrivaled.
Nick
Jul 26, 2010 Nick rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovecraft fans, people who want to read non-tolkien fantasy
Shelves: weird-fiction
Not as good as Lovecraft's dream-stories in my opinion, but nevertheless LOTS of really awesome ideas and concepts. This book exudes creativity.

If you are tired of modern fantasy, aka Tolkien derivatives, read this. It is in line with the arabian tales/poe/lovecraft type of fantasy which we see very little of today.
Fabulantes
Reseña: http://www.fabulantes.com/2015/01/cue...
"Habría que ser muy obtuso u hombre de Estado para no dejarse vencer por el encanto del irlandés. Ocurre, no obstante, que este mismo embeleso entraña un presagio, como si algo estuviera a punto de revelarse pero nunca nos fuera dado determinarlo. Al igual que se prodigan los nombres de reyes soñados y ciudades fabulosas, su poder de evocación fiado en la falta de pormenores, por más que todos los cuentos de Dunsany trascienden de la pura fachada,
Kara
An odd little book, but an absolute must read for anyone who enjoys fables or myths or Victorian authors. Fans of Algernon Blackwood, W.B. Yeats, or Ella Young will adore Lord Dunsany's magnificent prose and vivid imagination.
Lizixer
For me, there are three shining threads through Dunsany's Dreamer's Tales. The first is a rich skein of Romanticism that winds through the tales giving a philosophical depth to his visions and nightmares, the second a strong Orientalism and finally a fine comic voice that cannot help but break out of Dreamland to comment on the Edwardian world in which he lives.

Although a man who according to his Wikipedia entry spent most of his time in Ireland, Dunsany's delicious use of a gothic London for hi
g
These are wonderfully satisfying, bite-sized fantasy stories. I read them just before falling asleep, one or two at a time, on my iPod, the screen the only light in the room. My favorites were the longer ones ("Poltarnees, Beholder of the Ocean" and "Idle Days on the Yann," maybe also "Carcassonne"), so I'm very curious about The King of Elfland's Daughter . Let's see, what happens in these stories? Cities go mad or are suddenly abandoned or destroyed; corpses are denied rest; a poet convinces ...more
Tonari
Che dire ancora di questo Maestro della letteratura fantastica?
Dreamer's tales per genere e tematiche non mi è apparso molto diverso da "The Sword of Welleran and other stories": racconti dalle atmosfere soffuse, quasi oniriche; storie allegoriche e profonde. Il fantasy di questi racconti non è un mondo di cui si possa tracciare una mappa, sono luoghi che non potrebbero mai esistere, ma che forse esistono dentro ognuno di noi: le terre di Toldees, Mondath e Arizim o il fiume Yann sono più stati
Timothy Ferguson
An interesting series of early fantasy stories, marred, if I may use so strong a word, by Dunsany’s continual use of melancholic death as a motif. His technique is good, but because he keeps hitting the same notes, his work is best read in small snatches, separated by other work. Recommended to fans of whimsical, rather than heroic, fantasy. Available through Librivox and Internet Archive.

This review was first posted on book coasters
Poetreehugger
Lord Dunsany wrote fantasy fiction (among other things) about a hundred years ago. This collection of short stories gives a glimpse into a most creative imagination, by way of a unique and colorful style. It was amusing to read one short story about a man who travelled to a mythical city by the ingesting of "some black stuff that looked like tar, but had a stranger smell." (p. 92) This story is entitled "The Hashish Man". Interesting.
My complaint lies not with the antiquary nature of the stories
Dan
One of my ur-books, which had a lasting affect on my imagination.

My copy of this is a battered old Modern Library edition that was passed down to me by her father, who gave it to her in the 1940s. I found it on the bookshelf at about the age of ten, and was immediately captivated by Dunsany's dream prose, all wrapped up in short stories that still manage to be epic in their scope. "The Sword of Welleran".... "Poltarnees Beholder of the Ocean" (that's right, Christina, I'm on to your father's nom
Janelle
This collection was so much fun to read - the author's love of language and invention and atmosphere really shine through. It predates most of fantasy, so not only is it fresh and inventive, but it's very entertaining to see the echoes of Lord Dunsany in the works of authors who followed, such as Tolkien and Le Guin. This is in fact the exact collection that Le Guin had when she was a small girl, and I was interested to find all the little bits and images that showed up in the Earthsea series in ...more
Howard Jones
A masterful collection by a fantasy great. The best stories in here are among the best fantasies ever written.

Bill Ward and C.S.E. Cooney discuss it in detail in a series of reviews on my web site, covering each story:

Ιωάννης Γεωργανάς
All the tales are wonderful but i like especially the one with the title "Where the Tides Ebb and Flow",it is so poetic that remained in my heart and my mind even though so many years has passed since i have read it.A Literary Gem indeed!!!!
Douglas Summers-Stay
These stories are mostly about creating a Romantic mood, and some don't have a plot at all. It reminded me of a couple of Gaiman's stories, like "Dream of a Thousand Cats" or "Ramadan." I read it on the kindle but I wouldn't recommend that way. It's maybe modeled on the Arabian Nights.

Some of the images I recall are:
a city gate carved from a single tusk
looking down from a mountaintop at the sea for the first time
the spirits of cities that have passed away coming to claim one of their own
the nig
Gloria Dauden
Una gozada. Mi favorito: Donde Suben y Bajan las Mareas.
Homeschoolmama
Sep 28, 2014 Homeschoolmama marked it as to-read
Shelves: recommended
Lord Dunsany is one of my son's favorite authors. I read one short story of Dunsany's from this collection- online- Blagdeross , which was beautiful, lyrical, wonderful. Now I've been given the recommendation to read the following stories in this collection: Idle Days On The Yann, The Idle City, and Carcassonne. Would love to find a paperback edition but some reviewers have commented that there are many typos and misprints from faulty scanning of the old originals...So perhaps I'll have to re ...more
Seymour
This collection of tales by Lord Dunsany is romantic, fantastical and somewhat macabre, each having a fitful dreaming quality to them. The reader eavesdrops on conversations between souls and bodies at the point of death and travels to some very strangely named places. This was my first taste of the author's work and has compelled me to explore further.
Jake
I enjoyed it, specifically Poltarnees, Beholder of Ocean, Poor Old Bill, Carcassonne, and The Field. However, this cannot compare to Dunsany's earlier works, The Gods of Pegana and Time and the Gods. Hence the four stars.
Ty mader
lord dunsany is a master of short stories, in my opinion. not horror or weird fiction but an interesting mix of fantasy with some slight horror thrown in makes reading enjoyable and pleasant.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Anticipándose a las visiones de Lovecraft y sus contemporáneos, Lord Dunsany abre paso a un viaje por reinos desconocidos donde esperan un mundo de revelaciones al viajero.
Mohammed
Feb 07, 2010 Mohammed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any real fan of fantasy
Lord Dunsany in top form is like the finest of poetry. Surreal,magical fantasy and a collection of stories that is darker than Sword of Welleran and Other Stories.
Justine Highsmith
Dec 07, 2008 Justine Highsmith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovecraft enthusiasts
Recommended to Justine by: Cal
Best surrealist/bizarre fantasy I've ever read! Being a fan of Lovecraft's writing style, I found these stories to be quite entertaining.
Ryan Mcintire

Idle Days on the Yann is one of my favorite stories of all time.
Joseph
Funny and haunting and sinister. "Poor old bill" is a personal favorite.
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
  • The House of the Wolfings
  • Labrador
  • The Crock of Gold (Revised Edtion)
  • The Emperor of Dreams
  • The Phantom Rickshaw and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Purple Cloud (Frontiers of Imagination)
  • Mistress of Mistresses
  • The Complete Tales
  • The Wild Swans at Coole
  • The White People and Other Weird Stories
  • The House on the Borderland
  • Kalpa Imperial: The Greatest Empire That Never Was
  • Ava
  • Spirits in Bondage: A Cycle of Lyrics
  • La prisión de la libertad
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • Youth / Heart of Darkness / The End of the Tether
  • Buffalo Gals, Won't You Come Out Tonight
Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany was an Anglo-Irish writer and dramatist, notable for his work in fantasy published under the name Lord Dunsany. More than eighty books of his work were published, and his oeuvre includes hundreds of short stories, as well as successful plays, novels and essays. Born to one of the oldest titles in the Irish peerage, he lived much of his life ...more
More about Lord Dunsany...
The King of Elfland's Daughter Time and the Gods The Gods of Pegana The Charwoman's Shadow In the Land of Time: And Other Fantasy Tales

“Then I perceived, what I had never thought, that all these staring houses were not alike, but different one from another, because they held different dreams.” 8 likes