Start by marking “The Way Home” as Want to Read:
The Way Home

The Way Home

Eliza Beaudry was determined to get out in the big, wide world—even if it meant trading a few kisses for her freedom. When she met travelling gambler Cole Wallace, she thought her fantasies had come true. But Cole's daydreams didn't include Eliza Beaudry. He was a man used to taking what he wanted, so he took what Eliza offered—and neither of them thought about what might ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published November 1st 1997 by HarperTorch

To ask other readers questions about The Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way Home

Lyuda
Feb 14, 2015 Lyuda rated it really liked it
Wonderful story with very complex characters. An illiterate daughter of poor Texan sharecropper and his half Indian wife, Eliza Beaudry, dreamed of escaping the confines of her home and traveling gambler, Cole Wallace, with all his charm and pretty words seemed to be the ticket. But even though Cole liked Eliza's smiles and easy loving, he didn't think of her anymore than a detour to his real ambition to marry a rich Dallas girl whom he fancied in love. When the detour resulted in Eliza's ...more
Jacqueline
I really enjoyed this book. It pulled me right in. The heroine, Eliza, was not your typical romance heroine or at least she doesn't make typical choices for a heroine. They are typical choices though for a young naive woman in real life, both then 1870s and now unfortunately. She thinks she can get and/or hold a man by having sex with him. Doesn't always work real well as many a knocked up girl has found out.

I liked that her parents were neither all good or all bad but they were ultimately behi
SuperWendy
OMG, THIS BOOK!!!!! I was choking back tears while I was reading it on my lunch break at work. Seriously. So emotional, and I loved the slow unfolding of the romance between the hero and heroine. I loved watching how the heroine grows over the course of the story (oh man, she's so naive in the beginning - you just want to smack her!). I loved the shy, awkward hero. I loved that the hero's brother and father had depth to them and weren't painted as vile villains. It was sweet, it was tender, and ...more
Heathy
Aug 22, 2012 Heathy rated it it was amazing
This book is actually 3 love stories in one. Eliza, the daughter of a farmer, falls in love with Cole (a "love 'em and leave 'em" type), but he has no interest in her. His eyes are set on a rich girl in another town. Without spoiling the story, let's just say that Eliza is introduced to Cole's brother Aaron.

Aaron is one of my favorite "heroes". He is a virgin, which is rare for a romance novel. He is also the "tortured hero", so he has past trauma he needs to deal with.

Even though the book has s
May
Let's say its 2.5

It's way too realistic and really sad when the characters are sad
The Hero is so so shy
Heroine nahh
too much too much misunderstanding

its hot this and hot that, hot, hot ,hot I started to feel hot even though its autumn
Nishtha
I loved it. Review to come in blog. Will post the link soon.
October
Sep 25, 2016 October rated it liked it
I read The Portrait by the same author and it didn't grab my attention, but I really liked her writing style, so I tried this book instead. The summary instantly hooked me in- a heroine who is jilted by the hero's brother, ends up being pregnant with his child. The brother abandons her and the hero steps in to take responsibility. What the what? I was weirded out but I really wanted to see how that'd work. And it was handled surprisingly well.

Aaron was a a refreshing change from all the super d
Jendela Tryst
Sep 14, 2015 Jendela Tryst rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the books that inspired me to become a romance novelist. Seriously. I had no idea romance novels could be so "outside-the-box." A shy poet as your dashing hero? An illiterate sharecropper's daughter with crooked teeth as your heroine? It was incredible, poignant, and so multi-faceted. Even minor characters were crafted with a fine, detailed brush. Megan Chance raises the bar for all romance writers. I whole-heartedly approve.
Linda
Megan Chance knows how to play with a reader's emotions. For me, she often tips the scales on which character I like most. She never makes the choice an easy one.

The Way Home was about two brothers; the older one, Cole, lived for the moment. He was a handsome gambler and never had to worry about attracting women. His 'goal', if you want to call it that, was to marry the pretty Jenny from Dallas, Texas. She came from money and was the pampered only daughter of a distinguished family.

The younger
Alex
A unique historical romance - the characters were very flawed and uniquely human. I enjoyed how they grew although I didn't quite understand Aaron's aversion to sex it wasn't too fleshed out but sometimes you don't need a end all be all to make it so.

Cole was a tough character and honestly he did little to redeem himself throughout he book!

Eliza was really a nice touch - she wasn't perfect but she did what she needed to get out of her circumstances and I enjoyed her relationship with her family
Maura
Paula
Sep 13, 2016 Paula rated it did not like it
Ugh DNF
Katie
Nov 07, 2016 Katie rated it it was ok

I was very unimpressed with this book and underwhelmed by it. I expected a bit more.

The story follows Eliza Beaudry, a poor 20-year-old girl who has been bartering kisses for gifts. She meets a gambler from out of town, Cole, and decides he's the one who can get her out of small town Richmond, Texas. He gets her pregnant but since he's in love with someone else, he refuses to marry her and ultimately asks his brother, Aaron, to marry her.

A lot of reviewers didn't like Eliza but I didn'
Lorka
May 19, 2015 Lorka rated it really liked it
I actually really liked this book! This is one of the first books, in a long time, that I really had no idea what was going to happen. Not your typical historical romance format. I would start guessing the story would go in one direction... nope. All of the characters had their issues, but it was written so well that it kept me interested. I live in Arizona, and I hate our heat here and I have often wondered how people ever survived living in this heat 150 years ago without air conditioning... ...more
D
Jul 22, 2013 D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 1
Recommended to D by: fans of Morning Glory and Rhett Butler getting his due
a solid 3 stars.

chance has some exquisite moments. the first act of the book, in fact, had a beauty of detail and a pathos that compared quite favorably with Morning Glory. the drawing of the rhett butler–type cad, so charming, so winning, so very selfish, was expertly done. and it's no mean trick to draw a naive, very sexualized, yet winning and sweet heroine the way chance has. well done.

but the story meandered a bit and then was less well paced in the second two acts, important chemistry dev
Diana Green
Nov 24, 2015 Diana Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the characters and plot of this novel to be quite compelling. Ms Chance is certainly a skilled writer. There are two main reasons I gave this unique story four instead of five stars. First, I feel like certain story elements dragged out too long (specifically Aaron's inability to express affection). Second there are glaring errors that occurred in making this book digital, (lots of wrong words, lack of scene breaks)and it needs proof reading. Despite these issues Ms Chance's masterful ...more
Emilie
3.5 stars.

I haven't finished this book because I just can't... but I will give it 3.5 stars. This book is very well written. My issue is that not one of the characters thus far into it are likable - I hate them all. They are not flawed in a "I like them despite their flaws" sort of way, either. And right now I want to read a book that has me falling in love with the character. I may come back to this later and try again.
Amanda Mc
Nov 12, 2011 Amanda Mc rated it liked it
Kristina
Jan 01, 2013 Kristina rated it liked it
Not my favorite Chance novel as I didn't care for Eliza or Aaron. I like my heros to be alphas and Eliza was too immature (wanted to say stupid). Although, still magically illustrated by a great author.
Brookebook
Dec 04, 2015 Brookebook rated it really liked it
Sweet. Loved both MCs and hated one of the secondary people. Thank goodness he got exactly what he deserved!
Sahar
Jun 12, 2016 Sahar rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book so badly but ugh!! I just didn't feel like Eliza's feelings for Cole were really dealt with and I didn't feel comfy about her relationship with him after 70% of the book.
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Wanda
Wanda rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2011
Cphe
Cphe rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Lu
Lu rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2011
Lee Li
Jul 08, 2015 Lee Li rated it it was ok
I like the book, but I felt that Aaron's emotions towards Eliza was overwelmingly too much too soon
Dinjolina
Dinjolina rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Rennegade Hunter
Rennegade Hunter rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Kimluvsjazz
Kimluvsjazz rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Wild Oats (Wild Oats, #1)
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Wild at Heart
  • Sweet Lullaby
  • My Forever Love
  • Allie's Moon
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: Historicals #3)
  • A Stranger's Kiss (D'Avenant Brothers Series, #2)
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance)
  • The Endearment
  • No Sweeter Heaven (Pascal Trilogy #2)
  • Secret Admirer
  • Gentle Conquest
  • To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)
  • Just One Kiss

Megan Chance is the critically acclaimed, award-winning author of several novels. Girlposse.com calls her "a writer of extraordinary talent." Her books have been chosen by Amazon's Book of the Month, Borders Original Voices and IndieBound's Booksense. A former television ne
More about Megan Chance...