Start by marking “The Phantom Lover” as Want to Read:
The Phantom Lover

The Phantom Lover

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Fiery young "Nell" Belden went to Thorndene Castle to escape a lover, not to find one. She was bound by the strict conventions of England's Regency to a man she could never love, then bound by the ties of passion to a man she could never marry! For at Thorndene, she discovered a new and startling love, a love that was as intense as it was doomed...

"You must leave Thorndene
Published August 1st 1986 by Jove (first published March 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom Lover

Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
It would have been 5 stars if I haven't felt that Nell behaved rather outrageously immature in the second half of the book and the resolution was a bit too "last minute" for my tastes. Still, the first half of the book was delightful and the banter between the leads as mister ghost and his-intended-scare-victim is quite fun.
Ilze
Elizabeth Mansfield's "Phantom Lover"
Good one from Elizabeth Mansfield, almost didn't put it down to do the things I was supposed to do today. Also love the cool 1970's-style cover on the 1979 edition (which I am lucky enough to have).
Adrianna
I really loved this one. Of course the "ghost" who visits Nell's bedchamber at night is flesh-and-blood, but it's such an enjoyable event for her that she's loathe to figure out how the trick is done and spoil the fun.

The friendship that develops between Nell and her visitor is exactly what one would expect to come before one falls in love. So many of these novels focus solely on the physical attractions, or love at first sight, but the novels that develop a real, lasting relationship between t
Ellen Sara
When Nell jilts her fourth betrothed and with it tosses aside her guardians hopes of getting out debt her family sends her away to teach her a lesson. Nell is banished far to the her families estate that is furthest from London. Her kind honorary Aunt agrees to accompany her on the long journey. When they arrive at the state they find the caretakers to be unwelcoming and are told the house is haunted. Nell doesn't believe in ghosts but when she receives a ghostly visitation she is intrigued. She ...more
Alice
Treat For Regency Romance Lovers

Wounded having lost a leg, the new Earl hides on his remote Cornish Estate. At the same time, young Nell is banished to the same Estate by her guardian, who is anticipating becoming the Earl because nobody has heard from Harry since leaving him wounded on a battlefield in Spain. He has been presumed dead. And dead he appears, when he assumes the appearance of a ghost to scare away Nell and his Aunt Amelia from the estate.

The dialogue is witty and delightful betwee
Jacqueline
Harry who was wounded in the Napoleonic wars pretends to be a ghost to try to scare Nell away from the house where she has been banished.

A very cute story and a long time favorite,
Carrie
Love the hydrangea on the cover. Honestly though I loved the whole thing, this book was excellent all around. A Peninsular war veteran (Harry) damaged in body and mind wants to recuperate (aka brood) in peace at his manor in Cornwall. When the heroine (Nell) is banished to the same estate, he attempts to haunt her and his aunt out of his home and Nell laughs at his attempts. The chemistry and banter between the two is off the charts.
Sheri
Written in 1979, this was a sweet, typical, short regency. It was rather delightful. What made it different was the heroine, who was "a bit of a baggage." She's a girl who likes to have fun, likes to flirt, enjoys herself (she is respectable and appropriate.) She's popular. She's cried off from three engagements. I enjoyed watching the humorous and fun interaction between her and the hero.
Ramona Sprague
The Phantom Lover By Elizabeth Mansfield

This story was truly delightful. It is a delightful read for your summer vacation or for a cold winter weekend. I enjoyed it and I hope you will also.
Etty
Ceritanya? Biasa aja... Ringan... Tokoh2nya bisa dibilang tidak ada yang menonjol termasuk kedua tokoh utama, singkat kata kurang digali lebih dalam tentang karakter mereka. Agak jarang untuk sebuah novel yang bebas dari sensualitas yang biasa ditonjolkan di berbagai novel yang ada unsur romantisme. Baca semalam suntuk habisin nih cerita tapi lumayanlah meski agak membosankan sedikit.
Gaile
In this one, the heroine falls in love with a ghost. There are no dark scenes or freezing such as are commonly associated with ghosts. Nell doesn't recognize him as a ghost at first. This book is great fun to read. The author really has quite an imagination!
Arlene Allen
I really wasn't all that impressed by this one. Maybe it was just my mood, but I found the characters shallow and the plot only too predictable. Then again I'm in a reading slump and nothing seems to suit me lately...
Regina Scott
This was the first traditional Regency romance I ever read, and I couldn't put it down. I love all of Elizabeth Mansfield's books, but this one is special.
Muriel
I couldn't sleep and gobbled this one up in one night. The premise sounded iffy to me but I was thoroughly charmed by the tale of Nell and Harry.
Katrina
Jun 28, 2007 Katrina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Regency Lovers
My fav Elizabeth Mansfield. So funny!
Angela
Fun and clean
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Paula Odd
Paula Odd marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Idayunus
Idayunus marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Maud
Maud marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Jessica Hatfield
Jessica Hatfield marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Montana
Montana marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Miss Whittier Makes a List
  • Some Brief Folly (Sanguinet Saga #1)
  • A Lot Like A Lady (Lady, #1)
  • The Parfit Knight
  • The Primrose Path
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • The Education of Miss Patterson
  • Deirdre and Don Juan (Lovers and Ladies, #6)
  • The Kissing Game
  • Three Lords for Lady Anne
Elizabeth Mansfield is the author of numerous regency romances. She is an intelligent and thoughtful writer, a hidden gem whose novels deserve to be more widely read and enjoyed.

Elizabeth Mansfield is the pen name of the talented Paula Reibel Schwartz. Ms Schwartz also wrote different genres under the pen names Paula Reibel, Paula Reid, and Paula Jonas.
More about Elizabeth Mansfield...
The Fifth Kiss Her Man of Affairs The Bartered Bride A Regency Match A Christmas Kiss