Start by marking “The Battered Heiress Blues” as Want to Read:

The Battered Heiress Blues

When the life of her child is threatened, philanthropist Julia Spencer is faced with a most difficult decision - do nothing thereby saving herself or forge ahead and lose everything she holds dear. While one child is spared, another is lost forever.

Surviving a brutal assault in a small and desolate Peruvian town, Julia wakes to find that her unborn child has perished in a
Published March 30th 2012 by Laurie Van Dermark

To ask other readers questions about The Battered Heiress Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battered Heiress Blues

Scott
Jul 03, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Contagious chemistry...scoot over Notebook, this is a HOT one!

I don't read as often as I would like to and I have never read a "romance novel" before this one. A dear friend of mine put me onto this book. After hearing her rave about how great it was, I had to give up my man card and give it a go. WOW!! Am I glad I did.
Just so you know, my favorite movie is "The Notebook". Love it. Ya'll, I would stack this novel up against The Notebook at any time. This book is a well crafted book with characte
Renae
Oct 30, 2012 Renae rated it it was ok
I was so irritated with this book and it's author that when I read the ending I literally threw the book across the room. I had a hard time watching the main character forgive all that she did. I had an even harder time believing the men in the main character;s life had nothing to do but swoon over her and deal with her tireless demands and mood swings. Her life was more than a bit too perfect for my liking.
Arlena
By: Laurie Van Dermark
Published By: L.V.D.
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Review:

"The Battered Heiress Blues" by Laurie Van Dermark was a wonderful romantic inspiritual women's fiction read that was thoroughly enjoyed. For "the Battered Heiress Blues will truly touch your heart. You will find the storyline that will be unique in its dealings with 'forgiveness and grace. This is not necessarily a Christian book but there will be a presence of 'God's grace and love' as you r
Lynda Meyers
Dec 11, 2012 Lynda Meyers rated it it was amazing
Laurie VanDerMark's debut effort is a home run! The characters were fully formed and relatable, and the story put my life on hold as it kept me turning pages until there were none left to turn!

It's been a long while since I've read a book in a single day and even longer since a book made me cry. This story will touch your heart and leave you wanting more.

This is an author you'll want to watch! Great job Laurie!
Staci
Jan 06, 2013 Staci rated it did not like it
This novel was a bizarre combination of premarital sex and God. The author seemed confused. Was she writing Christian fiction or a romance novel? Not a fan.
Michelle Hart
Jun 29, 2013 Michelle Hart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
Loved this book! Read the entire book in one day!!!!!
Miranda K
Jun 18, 2012 Miranda K rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK COULDNT PUT IT DOWN.CANT WAIT ON HER NEXT BOOK.
Lucinda
Aug 14, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Laurie Van Dermark’s novel The Battered Heiress Blues has to be one of the most original, remarkable and outstanding books that I have read so far this year with such a unique storyline. Following the story of Julia Spencer within a Peruvian setting, one is transported instantly into a harsh world of violence and unjustifiable circumstances. With the brutal death of her child Julia retreats back to the safety of her parents in Savannah, where she is able to focus on her life and make changes. A ...more
Michelle
Dec 26, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
The Battered Heiress Blues was surprisingly a delightful and enthralling read. Having received this book as a Goodread's giveaway winner a few months back, I put it aside until I knew I had the time to devote to it that it deserved.

In all honesty, judging by the title alone, I expected a ditsy chic-lit novel. While this novel does have some depth and a very different story concept, it still seemed to lack the real depth and character evolvement I was hoping for based on the foundation of this t
Cyndi Hackett
Loved this book! I laughed, mourned, and cried. It was a beautiful story. I felt the emotions expressed were right on point. I think from the very beginning a grew attached to Jewels and Henry, especially Kate. This story was a true tear jerky but it also made me laugh. I loved the scene with Kate, Jewels, and Jackson on the front porch. I thought it was great! The story did a great job of addressing the emotional question of how to handle the "what-ifs" in life. I mean the million dollar ...more
P S Karr
Feb 09, 2014 P S Karr rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
he Battered Heiress Blues has already been optioned for a feature film. This is a book that will be great as a movie, maybe even better. It all depends on which angles of the story are played up. The title of the book is very appropriate. The book is about a woman’s blues, and by the time you read a few pages, these blues will be transferred to you. This is the kind of book where you feel the pain of the character, and maybe relive some pain from your own life.

This is certainly not a feel good k
Karla Goforth Abreu
Feb 01, 2013 Karla Goforth Abreu rated it really liked it
First, this book is Inappropriately titled. I almost didn't read it thinking it was some light sappy teeny-bopper style novel. Instead, it is a story with a decent, though, at times, predictable plot, that has some very profound statements about forgiveness and grace. The book is not necessarily a Christian novel, having various scenes that a typical book labeled that would not have, but it does present a clear view of God's grace and love and the need for horizontal, person to person, ...more
Gin Tadvick
Jan 09, 2013 Gin Tadvick rated it really liked it
I got this book for free from Amzaon for Kindle. And turned to it because I was looking for something light to read. (have been ready history and investing tomes lately) Well, this book was not light nor was it as worthless as I thought it would be. I would recommend this book to others. Some have said here that the Christian overtones of the book are off putting - personally I don't see how one could survive the trama in her life that Julia has without that. I liked that she had to struggle ...more
Emily Mishler
Aug 31, 2012 Emily Mishler rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, romance
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

I thought this book fell a little flat. The story line isn't bad but the writing style just leaves me feeling like a dispassionate stranger observing the lives of the characters rather than creating an intimate connection between myself and the characters. I also have trouble relating to Julia as I have never gone through such a traumatic event like losing a child. I'm not sure if that would cure the distance I feel in the writing, but altogether this
TreLyn Cecile
Dec 16, 2013 TreLyn Cecile rated it it was amazing
This is a superb book! Julia leaves for another country to escape the transgressions of her husband. Pregnant and alone she faces a horrible tragedy. Henry comes back into her life again at this time. Can their love find its way through what she has faced or will it die like her spirit? Things are changing but it she strong enough to face the changes? This is a book that is well worth reading. You will definitely want to have the tissues ready when you read it!
Kerry
Jul 02, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing
i found myself torn with continuing to turn the page...i was excited to see what happened next yet sad to be closer (with each turning page) to completing the book. i didn't want to stop reading about the characters. i wanted to know more, to read more about them. definitely one of the best books i've read in a long time.
Nelta
Apr 30, 2013 Nelta rated it really liked it
Picked this book up because it was free not sure what to expect and a little uncertain of the title.....I found this book to be a good read....when I could make out the words thru the tears....gee...get the tissues ready....but you will also be laughing...I did want to smack Henry occasionally....but think that Julia can keep him n his place....
Rhonda
Mar 08, 2013 Rhonda rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was an easy read and the story flowed well. Her characters were developed quite well. Some were annoying and some were quite likable. The story had its ups but it definitely had its sad points. I was expecting the ending to be a bit different and that certain characters would be together. Still a good book though.
Julie
The Battered Heiress Blues

A short book almost a novella but it shows strength in adversity. it reminds us that God has a purpose for all of us and we are all special in our own right.
Stephanie White
This was absolutely one of the best books I've read in a very long time! It was so captivating. There were twists, there was a love story, a great friendship, true love, and a mystery all in 1 book. I highly recommend reading this book. Can't wait for the next one!
♥Tiffany♥
May 04, 2013 ♥Tiffany♥ rated it liked it
I liked this book it had some emotional tugs and while I liked Julia I'm still not sure i really really liked her. I enjoyed all of the other characters and their stories. The ending fell a little flat for me and I was left thinking that's it?
Robin Worley
Aug 04, 2012 Robin Worley rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book; I had such a hard time putting it down. I love the writing of this new author. It was such a refreshing change - I had just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series.
Cindy
Jan 17, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
this book is one of the few that Ive ever read that I think needs a "warning" -- the content is triggering to some very powerful feelings for a particular group. Which is fine, if one wants to go there, but could hit someone in the face if it was unexpected.
Shasta
Sep 11, 2015 Shasta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2015
Fun, easy read but I wanted a little more than I got. Not sure what exactly, just left me feeling like something was missing.
Rogue
Jan 11, 2013 Rogue rated it really liked it
If you can get through the first few chapters then this book is great. The first few chapters are heartbreaking. I mean box of kleenex needed heartbreaking. Overall the book was great.
Leah
Apr 09, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Story

Amazing Story

Amazing story. I couldn't put it down. Can't wait for your next book. Would definitely recommend to others. Love it!!!!
Vickie
Aug 02, 2016 Vickie rated it really liked it
I really liked the story and the characters, but the editor really dropped the ball. Or did the author just use spellcheck instead of an actual editor?
Marty
Jul 28, 2012 Marty rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! It isn't your typical love story. I was entertained throughout the entire book. I laughed and I cried. I highly recommend this book to everyone!
Kristen Laform
Feb 11, 2013 Kristen Laform rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The first couple of chapters were really rough and almost turned me away from the book. I'm glad I gave it a chance though.
Pam
Sep 25, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Still Waters
  • Beyond Nostalgia
  • All for Love
  • Bombshells
  • The Secrets of Married Women
  • A Time to Dance (Mama B, #2)
  • The Cardwell Ranch Collection: Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch \ Justice at Cardwell Ranch \ Cardwell Ranch Trespasser
  • Kelsey's Song
  • Heat Wave (Riders Up, #2)
  • Annie's Child
  • A Death on the Wolf
  • Kingdom by the Sea
  • When Rain Falls (Victory Gospel Series, #1)
  • Wellesley Wives
  • Scraps of Paper (Spookie Town Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Hitting the Right Note
  • The Seduction of Dylan Acosta
  • Circle Of Friends 25 Breakfast & Brunch Recipes
Laurie Van Dermark fell in love with literature in high school under the guidance of an AP English teacher. Her love only grew during her time at a liberal arts college. In 2000, she was invited to travel with a group of humanitarians to Chimbote, Peru, where she learned about the social and political misdoings that contribute to poverty. Since then, she has returned for several visits, and has ...more
More about Laurie Van Dermark...