Start by marking “All My Sins Remembered” as Want to Read:
All My Sins Remembered

All My Sins Remembered

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,499 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Otto McGavin is peacefully idealistic by nature, an Anglo-Buddhist, who seeks employment with the Confederacion because he believes in its mission to protect human & nonhuman rights. The only problem is that the Confederacion needs him as one of its twelve Prime Operators for its secret service, the TBII. The TBII wants him as a spy, thief & assassin. It's not, of ...more
Published (first published September 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about All My Sins Remembered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Sins Remembered

Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in high school, back in the 80s and I think about it every now and then, and that says something about what kind of book it is that it will creep up into a mind decades later.

This was broken up into several vignettes, tied together with the concept that the hero was technologically and biologically changed to appear to be someone else for a mission. The scene that keeps coming back: he is made to be a thin, wasted away junkie, and he says to his superiors in anger and frustrati
Jim
Aug 28, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens when the government machine decides a man would make a good assassin, even if he is a self-professed pacifist? Haldeman's experience in the Vietnam War colors this novel with his anti-government attitude as much as it does "The Forever War". Set in the far future, man has spread out to diverse worlds & colonized them, no matter what the natives may think. It's a great action story as well as a condemnation of government & foreign policy, but seen through a wonderful human le ...more
Bill
Jun 22, 2012 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I know the history of this book (see other reviews), but this seems like a series of short stories trying to be a novel or a novel trying to be short stories. Granted all stories have the same protagonist and he develops through them. I just do not like episodic fiction or short stories very much. The novel came out after his The Forever War which has obvious commonalities.

Haldeman is a good writer. His style, plots and characters are appealing. If not for the books organization I would give th
Charles Dee Mitchell
Otto McGavin is a 23rd century Anglo Buddhist interested in joining the Confederacion, an intergalactic peacekeeping agency dedicated to protecting the rights of indigenous species on the many planets they now share with humans. He gets the job, but after a period of training, largely under hypnosis, he finds that he is now a Prime Operative, an assassin who will go in body-modified disguises on missions that he did not foresee for himself, but that his bosses have through testing learned he is ...more
Ron
Aug 14, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Right action is abstaining from killing/stealing; Right livelihood is earning a living in a way not harmful to any living thing; Right effort is to avoid evil thoughts and overcome them.”

Gritty. An interstellar James Bond. Licensed to kill and commit just about any other crime to preserve the Confederación and protect the rights of humans and nonhumans. What could be more honorable? It’s what he has to do. A dirty job, but someone ….

“… rougher, raunchier, dirtier and noisier than any place he h
Mike
Nov 16, 2007 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, xcharity-2012
In All My Sins Remembered, Otto McGavin, clandestine agent, goes undercover in disguise both physical and psychological. We follow him through 3 different operations, among many others only alluded to. Sadly, I could not give it more than 2 stars. Little character development and a pretty disjointed progression made it difficult to stay focused and interested. The ending was not justified by any of the preceding vignettes.
Anna
Jan 01, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the best science fiction seems to have one thing in common: the ability to deliver thrills and shocks that make you think differently about how distant and future worlds could be. In this respect, All My Sins Remembered will stay with me for a very long time. The novel takes you through a variety of different worlds and settings as seen through the eyes of a master spy and assassin called Otto McGavin. For each assignment, McGavin is physically and psychologically molded into someone else ...more
Chris
I finished late last night. Fought through the sleepies to finish. I don't know why a book that short seemed to take that long, but I guess it really wasn't. Was more like a long week...

But anyway, I liked it. Not near as much as The Forever War, or even quite as much as The Accidental Time Machine, the previous Haldeman books I've read.

I liked the concept of this one, and for the most part the execution. But by the end of it I was ready to move on to something else.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by this very entertaining writer. This time he somehow takes SiFi and blends it into a spy novel and drags you along for a ride that you find over far to soon. As always great story, interesting characters and an excellent read. If you are new to SiFi and want to try a great author or an older SiFi fan and want to find a great author the answer is the same, Joe Haldeman. Very recommended.
Chris
Oct 09, 2007 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a real Haldeman fan so this was a bit disappointing for me. The premise is that an idealistic young man is inducted into a top secret espionage agency in the future and then sent on 30+ missions using the ultimate disguises - "personality overlays" - by which he literally assumes the identity of someone on the scene to accomplish his mission. As his career goes on it takes a savage toll on the agent.

There were bits about this book that I did enjoy, but it lacked the character development and
Olethros
-¿Crítica sociopolítica o simple evasión?.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Resumen de los 23 años de servicio de Otto McGavin en el TBII, el brazo operativo secreto de la Confederación, en orden cronológico y a través de las transcripciones de su entrevista inicial, del repaso de su primera misión, del relato pormenorizado de tres de sus misiones posteriores y de las transcripciones de los exámenes sucesivos sobre el estado de la personalidad de Otto durante su periodo de servicio.

¿
Olethros
-¿Crítica sociopolítica o simple evasión?.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

¿
Melanie
Sep 04, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have carried this book from place to place for years, I have the 1977 edition. It hangs in my head as one of my favorite books, but I no longer remembered the story itself. I read the book again, and there was this scene where he was pulling his focus on pain, circling it and then constricting the circle and holding it outside of himself. Although I had filed that with in my memory it had not filed where I read such a thing. It was beautiful to rediscovery a moment that had embedded into mysel ...more
James
A powerful book from the author of The Forever War, and a haunting examination of the effect on a good and thoughtful person of fighting and killing even in an apparently worthy cause. Haldeman served in Vietnam and what he took away from that war comes through in this book as well as in The Forever War.
Steve Merrick
Nov 24, 2011 Steve Merrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Haldeman is a bloody fine purveyor of sci fi,

In all my sins remembered he paints a world of secrets that could be considered by some as allegories of the cold war but in reality are thoroughly original and brilliantly put together. I do not want to give the plots away but its really really really worth reading this one.

Trust me I am a total stranger to you so go and read this you will not regret it.
Joan
My god this is fabulous. Heartbreakingly fabulous. I won't say much about the plot, but the timeline drags the reader through the life of Otto from his first interview to his last assignment.

Brilliant, intense writing and the end was.... (view spoiler)
Nicolas
Dans ce roman, on suit les aventures d’un "agent" de la confederaçion, l’inévitable société de l’espace censée régir la bonne marche des planètes grâce à un ensemble de règles simples visant à empêcher les guerres, l’exploitation des trop faibles extra-terrestres et quelques autres trucs somme toute mineurs.
L’intérêt de ce bouquin, c’est que, pour remplir ses missions, notre agent secret est imprégné sous hypnose de la personne qu’il va remplacer, et maquillé de manière plutôt efficace. Bien sû
Andrew
This is a proper old-fashioned science fiction novel. Written in the late 1970s it actually reads more like a 50s-60s Heinlein or even Asimov novel, with quite sparse descriptive sections and a lot of dialogue-driven action. I’ve not read something like this for a while and it was quite refreshing and enjoyable.

All My Sins Remembered is actually a ‘fix-up’. It comprises of 3 short stories all of which were previously published in magazines, and all of which feature the same main character Otto M
Scott Holstad
Sep 29, 2012 Scott Holstad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 222 page book makes for a quick read and it's somewhat enjoyable. Otto McGavin, an Anglo-Buddhist, seeks a job with the Confederacion because he believes in its mission to protect human and nonhuman rights. The problems begin there. The Confederacion needs him as one of its 12 Prime Operators for its mega-secret, secret service, the TBII. The TBII wants to use him as a spy and assassin. They carry this out through the use of immersion therapy and hypnotic personality overlay for Otto's ongo ...more
Ben
Jun 18, 2012 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, bookmooch
This book has a lot of potential. The basic concepts, and each individual section of the story are all quite fantastic. A subliminally trained super-spy for an intergalactic confederation is capable of assuming the persona of various persons in order to infiltrate organizations. The story follows this man as he progresses through various missions, including psychological debriefings interspersed throughout. Each mission is incredibly interesting--they get more so as you go on, in fact--and it's ...more
Andreas
Jul 22, 2011 Andreas rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It was okay. The description of the book is actually more exciting than the book itself. Personality overlays give special agents the chance to completely act like someone else, which is used in combination with cosmetical changes to create a perfect doppelgänger. The confederacion uses them to spy on suspicious people or to infiltrate organizations.

All My Sins Remembered is a fix up of three previously published novellas. They are a mix of SF and espionage with fast paced action. The first two
Cy
Aug 18, 2011 Cy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting story about a deep-cover government operative who uses hypnosis and advanced plastic surgery to literally become some one else in order to complete his missions. He spends the time between each mission in "conversation" with a psychiatrist while completely unconscious, so each mission can be seen as a sort of reincarnation for Otto.

All throughout the story is a kind of allegory that what he does is an earthly replication of Buddhist reincarnation (the character mentions that he is/wa
LindaJ^
In a future world, Otto wants to work for what might be called the foreign service of the Confederacion - the government that of a number of worlds populated by humans. But after the tests, the government psychartist decides to put Otto in covert operations. He trains for about 2 years but doesn't remember the training because it was done under hypnosis. When it is time for him to become active, he is told that his job will primarily be to kill people who are threatening alien worlds. Otto is pr ...more
Jen
Nov 27, 2013 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting exploration by Haldeman that tells a number of engaging short stories (none of them individually astounding, but all good), and links them together through the eyes of a man whose personality is relegated to the background, and whose character has been molded without his consent. Otto struggles throughout the book to break free of his "programming" and recover a notion of selfhood. The short stories are entertaining, and Otto's identity struggles (especially towards the end) are f ...more
Isabel (kittiwake)
From human contact they absorbed a quirky and usually harmless assortment of ideas and things. They wore junk and jewelry. Hated Kept gerbils as pest. human music but collected recordings of city noises. Loved Hilbert, hated Euclid. Kept gerbils as pets; prized caterpillar hors d'ouvres. Did crossword puzzles without looking at the definitions.
I am the Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though he were dead, shall live . . .
Were suckers for a resurrection myth.

There were some ve
Matteo Pellegrini
"Ninfa, nelle tue orazioni siano ricordati tutti i miei peccati" dice Amleto a Ofelia nell'atto III. Da allora, il verso è diventato proverbiale e torna spesso nella letteratura inglese, ma anche al cinema e in televisione. Questo movimentato romanzo di Joe Haldeman ne fa il suo titolo originale, ma per non creare confusione nel lettore abbiamo mantenuto quello della prima edizione italiana, ricordando solo che in esso leggerà la tragica odissea di Otto McGavin, Primo Agente al servizio del TB I ...more
Mark
Feb 16, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who likes scifi and spy-tales
Recommended to Mark by: gift from my neigbours
Shelves: dark-tales, scifi, 2013
I have read this book several times andwhile it is a scifi book it does give an insight in the mind of a man whose purpose is the be undercover and more often gets lost in the violence that comes with his job.
I am quite sure that Ian Fleming would have recognised plenty in this tale with regard to his own creation James Bond.

This book is about a man losing his identity in a lifetime of being somebody else in order to make sure that society can "peacefully" continue excisting. This man is indeed
Brian
Sep 25, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick book, a young human male, Otto, joins an interplanetary oversight coalition hoping to become a diplomat. As a committed Buddhist, his athletic prowess and intelect proove too valuable to waste on sophistry, so instead he is transferred to a secret task force, to become an elite weapon of the Confederation - after a brief mental soak, that is.

As Haldeman often does, it's the situation of what happens when an otherwise passive academic type is put to combat. As is true in so many of his b
Enso
Jan 26, 2016 Enso rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a gut punch. I've vacillated on three or four stars but I'm going to say three as there, in one sense, isn't a lot of plot in a traditional sense here. This isn't a normal story but a reflection, in snapshots, of a tortured and broken man's history, who realizes that he isn't who he wanted to be and that he really had almost no choice in the matter.

I find it interesting that Haldeman wrote in in 1977, not many years after his experiences in Vietnam and in an era of disenchantment
Stanley Trice
The author, Joe Haldeman, is one of my favorite authors. While I liked this book, the writing seemed more of Mr. Haldeman trying to find the writing style he would ultimately become famous with. This is a book published in 1977 and is a prelude to how he would eventually write.

The protagonist, Otto McGavin, is brought in as a spy for a government organization only rumored to exist. He is idealistic and passive thinking, but must kill for the government he believed in.

I would have liked more char
Madison Mega-Mara...: "All My Sins Remembered" by Joe Haldeman 1 2 Jun 17, 2012 09:49AM
  • Quatermass
  • Ring Around the Sun
  • Fury
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
Brother of Jack C. Haldeman II

Haldeman is the author of 20 novels and five collections. The Forever War won the Nebula, Hugo and Ditmar Awards for best science fiction novel in 1975. Other notable titles include Camouflage, The Accidental Time Machine and Marsbound as well as the short works "Graves," "Tricentennial" and "The Hemingway Hoax." Starbound is scheduled for a January release. SFWA pres
More about Joe Haldeman...