Start by marking “All My Sins Remembered” as Want to Read:
All My Sins Remembered

All My Sins Remembered

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  954 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Otto McGavin is peacefully idealistic by nature, an Anglo-Buddhist, who seeks employment with the Confederacion because he believes in its mission to protect human & nonhuman rights. The only problem is that the Confederacion needs him as one of its twelve Prime Operators for its secret service, the TBII. The TBII wants him as a spy, thief & assassin. It's not, of ...more
Published (first published September 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about All My Sins Remembered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Sins Remembered

Jim
What happens when the government machine decides a man would make a good assassin, even if he is a self-professed pacifist? Haldeman's experience in the Vietnam War colors this novel with his anti-government attitude as much as it does "The Forever War". Set in the far future, man has spread out to diverse worlds & colonized them, no matter what the natives may think. It's a great action story as well as a condemnation of government & foreign policy, but seen through a wonderful human le ...more
Kernos
I know the history of this book (see other reviews), but this seems like a series of short stories trying to be a novel or a novel trying to be short stories. Granted all stories have the same protagonist and he develops through them. I just do not like episodic fiction or short stories very much. The novel came out after his The Forever War which has obvious commonalities.

Haldeman is a good writer. His style, plots and characters are appealing. If not for the books organization I would give th
Chris
I finished late last night. Fought through the sleepies to finish. I don't know why a book that short seemed to take that long, but I guess it really wasn't. Was more like a long week...

But anyway, I liked it. Not near as much as The Forever War, or even quite as much as The Accidental Time Machine, the previous Haldeman books I've read.

I liked the concept of this one, and for the most part the execution. But by the end of it I was ready to move on to something else.
Mike
In All My Sins Remembered, Otto McGavin, clandestine agent, goes undercover in disguise both physical and psychological. We follow him through 3 different operations, among many others only alluded to. Sadly, I could not give it more than 2 stars. Little character development and a pretty disjointed progression made it difficult to stay focused and interested. The ending was not justified by any of the preceding vignettes.
Chris
I'm a real Haldeman fan so this was a bit disappointing for me. The premise is that an idealistic young man is inducted into a top secret espionage agency in the future and then sent on 30+ missions using the ultimate disguises - "personality overlays" - by which he literally assumes the identity of someone on the scene to accomplish his mission. As his career goes on it takes a savage toll on the agent.

There were bits about this book that I did enjoy, but it lacked the character development and
Olethros
-¿Crítica sociopolítica o simple evasión?.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Resumen de los 23 años de servicio de Otto McGavin en el TBII, el brazo operativo secreto de la Confederación, en orden cronológico y a través de las transcripciones de su entrevista inicial, del repaso de su primera misión, del relato pormenorizado de tres de sus misiones posteriores y de las transcripciones de los exámenes sucesivos sobre el estado de la personalidad de Otto durante su periodo de servicio.

¿
Olethros
-¿Crítica sociopolítica o simple evasión?.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

¿
Andrew
This is a proper old-fashioned science fiction novel. Written in the late 1970s it actually reads more like a 50s-60s Heinlein or even Asimov novel, with quite sparse descriptive sections and a lot of dialogue-driven action. I’ve not read something like this for a while and it was quite refreshing and enjoyable.

All My Sins Remembered is actually a ‘fix-up’. It comprises of 3 short stories all of which were previously published in magazines, and all of which feature the same main character Otto M
Stanley Trice
The author, Joe Haldeman, is one of my favorite authors. While I liked this book, the writing seemed more of Mr. Haldeman trying to find the writing style he would ultimately become famous with. This is a book published in 1977 and is a prelude to how he would eventually write.

The protagonist, Otto McGavin, is brought in as a spy for a government organization only rumored to exist. He is idealistic and passive thinking, but must kill for the government he believed in.

I would have liked more char
Matteo Pellegrini
"Ninfa, nelle tue orazioni siano ricordati tutti i miei peccati" dice Amleto a Ofelia nell'atto III. Da allora, il verso è diventato proverbiale e torna spesso nella letteratura inglese, ma anche al cinema e in televisione. Questo movimentato romanzo di Joe Haldeman ne fa il suo titolo originale, ma per non creare confusione nel lettore abbiamo mantenuto quello della prima edizione italiana, ricordando solo che in esso leggerà la tragica odissea di Otto McGavin, Primo Agente al servizio del TB I ...more
Cy
Interesting story about a deep-cover government operative who uses hypnosis and advanced plastic surgery to literally become some one else in order to complete his missions. He spends the time between each mission in "conversation" with a psychiatrist while completely unconscious, so each mission can be seen as a sort of reincarnation for Otto.

All throughout the story is a kind of allegory that what he does is an earthly replication of Buddhist reincarnation (the character mentions that he is/wa
Charles Dee Mitchell
Otto McGavin is a 23rd century Anglo Buddhist interested in joining the Confederacion, an intergalactic peacekeeping agency dedicated to protecting the rights of indigenous species on the many planets they now share with humans. He gets the job, but after a period of training, largely under hypnosis, he finds that he is now a Prime Operative, an assassin who will go in body-modified disguises on missions that he did not foresee for himself, but that his bosses have through testing learned he is ...more
Jen
An interesting exploration by Haldeman that tells a number of engaging short stories (none of them individually astounding, but all good), and links them together through the eyes of a man whose personality is relegated to the background, and whose character has been molded without his consent. Otto struggles throughout the book to break free of his "programming" and recover a notion of selfhood. The short stories are entertaining, and Otto's identity struggles (especially towards the end) are f ...more
Nicolas
Dans ce roman, on suit les aventures d’un "agent" de la confederaçion, l’inévitable société de l’espace censée régir la bonne marche des planètes grâce à un ensemble de règles simples visant à empêcher les guerres, l’exploitation des trop faibles extra-terrestres et quelques autres trucs somme toute mineurs.
L’intérêt de ce bouquin, c’est que, pour remplir ses missions, notre agent secret est imprégné sous hypnose de la personne qu’il va remplacer, et maquillé de manière plutôt efficace. Bien sû
Andreas
It was okay. The description of the book is actually more exciting than the book itself. Personality overlays give special agents the chance to completely act like someone else, which is used in combination with cosmetical changes to create a perfect doppelgänger. The confederacion uses them to spy on suspicious people or to infiltrate organizations.

All My Sins Remembered is a fix up of three previously published novellas. They are a mix of SF and espionage with fast paced action. The first two
Ben
This book has a lot of potential. The basic concepts, and each individual section of the story are all quite fantastic. A subliminally trained super-spy for an intergalactic confederation is capable of assuming the persona of various persons in order to infiltrate organizations. The story follows this man as he progresses through various missions, including psychological debriefings interspersed throughout. Each mission is incredibly interesting--they get more so as you go on, in fact--and it's ...more
Scott Holstad
This 222 page book makes for a quick read and it's somewhat enjoyable. Otto McGavin, an Anglo-Buddhist, seeks a job with the Confederacion because he believes in its mission to protect human and nonhuman rights. The problems begin there. The Confederacion needs him as one of its 12 Prime Operators for its mega-secret, secret service, the TBII. The TBII wants to use him as a spy and assassin. They carry this out through the use of immersion therapy and hypnotic personality overlay for Otto's ongo ...more
Mark
Jul 12, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who likes scifi and spy-tales
Recommended to Mark by: gift from my neigbours
Shelves: dark-tales, scifi, 2013
I have read this book several times andwhile it is a scifi book it does give an insight in the mind of a man whose purpose is the be undercover and more often gets lost in the violence that comes with his job.
I am quite sure that Ian Fleming would have recognised plenty in this tale with regard to his own creation James Bond.

This book is about a man losing his identity in a lifetime of being somebody else in order to make sure that society can "peacefully" continue excisting. This man is indeed
Isabel
From human contact they absorbed a quirky and usually harmless assortment of ideas and things. They wore junk and jewelry. Hated Kept gerbils as pest. human music but collected recordings of city noises. Loved Hilbert, hated Euclid. Kept gerbils as pets; prized caterpillar hors d'ouvres. Did crossword puzzles without looking at the definitions.
I am the Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though he were dead, shall live . . .
Were suckers for a resurrection myth.

There were some ve
Elgin
I read this book years ago and enjoyed it, so when I needed something light for RAGBRAI reading last week decided to take it along. I have liked most of Joe Haldeman's work very much..he tells great stories but writes in a simple, straight forward, minimalist fashion. This book is a collection of three short stories (novella's?) about assignments of an "interplanetary secret agent" who has been "programmed" to do things contrary to his religious beliefs. This secondary theme has little to do wit ...more
Brian
A quick book, a young human male, Otto, joins an interplanetary oversight coalition hoping to become a diplomat. As a committed Buddhist, his athletic prowess and intelect proove too valuable to waste on sophistry, so instead he is transferred to a secret task force, to become an elite weapon of the Confederation - after a brief mental soak, that is.

As Haldeman often does, it's the situation of what happens when an otherwise passive academic type is put to combat. As is true in so many of his b
Otis Campbell
The sins of all, the sinner in me
I follow my dreams, you call it blasphemy
If my ideals are sins
To me they are the strength within
Then I shall stay a sinner
John
You will remember this novella for decades.

What happens when your identity is not your own? When "you" are you only when your masters deem it convenient?

What if you are a pacifist and simultaneously a deep cover assassin with a history of ruthless kills, and what if those kills advance peace on a galactic scale?

This book doesn't have any answers; it teaches that contradiction is fundamental to the human condition. It teaches that we are marked by the choices and acts we take in life.

It's about
Lyn
I read this book in high school, back in the 80s and I think about it every now and then, and that says something about what kind of book it is that it will creep up into a mind decades later. This was broken up into several vignettes, tied together with the concept that the hero was technologically and biologically changed to appear to be someone else for a mission. The scene that keeps coming back: he is made to be a thin, wasted away junkie, and he says to his superiors in anger and frustrati ...more
John
I want to be able to give this a 5-star review. The book is episodic in structure, with intervals between each episode. The main episodes of the book... they're good, but not great.

The intervals, though - they fascinate me! The character that comes to life in them, the mental and emotional effect of committing violence under orders (Haldeman's central obsession) are brilliantly focused into these small sections. Being so focused, these interval sections are powerful!

I actually prefer to go back
Zoya
2 and a half stars. The premises was good, but somehow I struggled to care about what will happen to the main character and came very close to abandoning the book in mid-read.
Ian
I originally read this book way back when it first came out. I was greatly impressed, and re-read several times in the space of a few years. The story is of the betrayal and perversion of the idealism of a young recruit, who believes he is joining the government to help and aid humanity, but whose missions are no more than plots to ensure Earth's control of human space.

The plot is a reflection of Haldeman's "Forever War". A critique of the ruling class, of power, and of the military.
nobody
This was a fairly thought provoking quirky anti-war scifi book. It wasn't exactly what i was expecting from what i read on the jacket, but i nonetheless enjoyed it. Its narrative is sort of odd, three previously published short stories strung together with some edit pieces, in a cohesive way. The three snapshots of the protagonists life work well and get the point across. The action is pretty cool, and the aliens are especially sorta quirky and neat, most notably in the last story.
Steve Merrick
Joe Haldeman is a bloody fine purveyor of sci fi,

In all my sins remembered he paints a world of secrets that could be considered by some as allegories of the cold war but in reality are thoroughly original and brilliantly put together. I do not want to give the plots away but its really really really worth reading this one.

Trust me I am a total stranger to you so go and read this you will not regret it.
James
A powerful book from the author of The Forever War, and a haunting examination of the effect on a good and thoughtful person of fighting and killing even in an apparently worthy cause. Haldeman served in Vietnam and what he took away from that war comes through in this book as well as in The Forever War.
  • The High Crusade
  • Fury
  • Free Live Free
  • What Mad Universe
Brother of Jack C. Haldeman II

Haldeman is the author of 20 novels and five collections. The Forever War won the Nebula, Hugo and Ditmar Awards for best science fiction novel in 1975. Other notable titles include Camouflage, The Accidental Time Machine and Marsbound as well as the short works "Graves," "Tricentennial" and "The Hemingway Hoax." Starbound is scheduled for a January release. SFWA pres
More about Joe Haldeman...
The Forever War (The Forever War, #1) Forever Peace (The Forever War, #2) The Accidental Time Machine Camouflage Forever Free (The Forever War, #3)