Start by marking “The Day They Gave Babies Away” as Want to Read:
The Day They Gave Babies Away

The Day They Gave Babies Away

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Based on atrue story, this book tells the taleof a 12-year-old boy who, after the death of his parents, gives his five younger brothers and sisters away to carefully chosen families on Christmas Day. ...more
Published October 1st 1990 by New Chapter Press (first published September 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Day They Gave Babies Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day They Gave Babies Away

Tee Jay
Nov 17, 2014 Tee Jay rated it it was amazing
I read this book in my classroom year after year. It is also a family tradition being passed down to grandchildren. A true account of a large immigrant family that loses both parents near Christmas. Or mostly true, it was written by the son of the eldest son based on the verbal stories from his dad and done in a style so children could enjoy the story. It is an account of an event that really happened. The eldest son, at 13, is left to carry out his parents wishes and find new homes for himself ...more
Denice Miller
I generally do not read books with sad endings. It sounds like this should be a miserable book, but instead, it is full of heroism and goodness. It is a true story and I read it every year at Christmastime to my children. This book is also out of print and can be purchased through Alibris.com.
Christine
Oct 11, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
A touching account of the struggles of a 19th century Wisconsin family. On December 23rd, Mamie Eunson summons young Robbie to her bedside and charges him with finding good homes for his five younger siblings. Early Christmas morning Robbie sets out and, with the help of his brothers, fulfills his promise. The story is a tender and well written must read.
Kevin Struensee
Jan 06, 2014 Kevin Struensee rated it it was amazing
Read this book, a gift from the author. I am a native of Clark county, where Mr. Eunson was born also. Because of my love of local history and of books I did a lot of research on the Eunson family and on the orphans (siblings to the author's father). The book is based on oral history and took "artistic license" also, so that the true story (that which can be learned at this late date by way of surviving records) is somewhat different and, of course, far more complex. I treasure the book and the ...more
Susanhayeshotmail.com
Apr 20, 2015 Susanhayeshotmail.com rated it it was amazing
Sweet and sentimental true story, I will be hunting down my own copy. Sniff, sniff.
Joanie
Dec 09, 2015 Joanie marked it as to-read
I think a movie was made from this story. The film "All Mine To Give", 1958.
Marianne
Sep 07, 2008 Marianne rated it it was amazing
I liked this book very much. Don't you just love it when you find a biography that you never heard about and enjoy it? This is about a Scottish couple who are immigrants and settle in Wisconsin. They have 6 children and in the 1850s tragedy strikes. Read and find out what the oldest child (Robbie) has to do. It is only 55 pages or so long so it will not take long to read. In the 1950s this book was made into a movie.
Nancy
Oct 14, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great short tale. Starts as a family tale being told to a little one about her grandfather and the day he had to give his siblings away. The last request of their mother was that Robert make sure his siblings had good homes. She knew no one would take in all 6 of them. Really touching Christmas story.
Angela
Mar 04, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
I needed to get this book back to the library so I quickly read it. It is a sweet and sad story. It made me cry, and it made me want to go and foster/adopt some more babies! :) I am so glad my kids were able to stay together.

I would recommend this sweet book. Have tissues near by. Oh and it is a true story.
Kayli
Aug 29, 2012 Kayli rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this, but it really was lacking. It's in a chapter-book format, but it was adapted from a magazine article, and really, that's what it should have stayed. It was short and just didn't have any magic to it in my opinion.
Amber
Oct 02, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, short read. The only thing that could make it better is that it is a TRUE story, told by the main character's son. I think it will go on our family shelf of stories to read during the Christmas season.
Therese
Apr 30, 2009 Therese rated it really liked it
Simple, straightforward, loving in the hard, practical way love was dealt with in the 1800's. Great little book. I can see it as a Christmas tradition book. Out of print, tho, I think. Thank god for small budgeted libraries.
Jenny Thomas
Jan 24, 2009 Jenny Thomas rated it it was amazing
My mom would read this book every Christmas as we drove down to my Grandma's house. It is a sad story and makes me want to cry just thinking about it but an excellent one anyways.
Susan
Dec 28, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Wisconsin author who tells the story from his father who, in 1868, gave all his siblings away. This book became a tear-jerker movie as well. I enjoy hearing real life stories.
Kirsten
Sep 01, 2015 Kirsten rated it liked it
I've been trying to track this book down for years. Found a great condition copy for 1$ at the library book sale. BOOM. Short, sad, but sweet - bittersweet.
Diane
Dec 08, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
I loved this story about 6 orphans given away at Christmas even if it was sad. More on http://bookwinked.wordpress.com
Mar 01, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Simple and sentimental little book about a boy forced to find new homes for his younger siblings after his parents die.
michael abatangelo
michael abatangelo marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2016
Carol Rigsbee
Carol Rigsbee rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Melisa Hills
Melisa Hills marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Robert Voss
Robert Voss marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Christi
Christi rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
June
June is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2015
Kathy Mcclung
Kathy Mcclung marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Anne Feduk
Anne Feduk rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2015