Start by marking “Detached: Surviving Reactive Attachment Disorder” as Want to Read:
Detached: Surviving Reactive Attachment Disorder

Detached: Surviving Reactive Attachment Disorder

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
DETACHED! SURVIVING REACTIVE ATTACHMENT DISORDER is the true story of a young boy who never "attached" or "bonded" with his alcoholic mother. He felt unloved, uncared for, unsafe, sad, lonely and extremely angry. As he grew up, he, like most Reactive Attachment Disordered kids, acted out, exhibiting severely antisocial, even violent, behavior. You'll travel back in time to ...more
Published September 26th 2011 by Jh Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Detached, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detached

Scooping it Up
Jessie tells a whirlwind story of his life in this sweet, gut wrenching memoir. He offers hope to parents treading the murky waters of children who come from neglect, fear and abuse. Every foster or adoptive parent's worst nightmares are children who lack the ability to love and accept love, the ability to feel empathy, who harm themselves and others, to lie, steal, and essentially, are not equipped to be in a family.

Jessie was one of those scary kids. And he survived. He had years and years (an
Tina Gastineau
A must read for a glimpse into what the child with RAD feels, thinks, experiences, and heals.
Audra
This book was intriguing, but the quality of writing could improve. I also did not feel that hopeful based on the story. I never really felt like there was true healing, where empathy and understanding happen. I'm not saying that they didn't happen, but there was no focus on it. It was good to read, especially because there are few stories being told by those who are dx RAD, but I don't feel it helped me gain a lot of insight into my child that I didn't gain from Building the Bonds of Attachment ...more
Julia
This book was very poor when it came to grammar. It was also somewhat scattered and not put together well. BUT all of that being said, I loved hearing this mans perception of life and those who loved him. I found his story enlightening and useful, asdie from the grammatical nightmare that it was.
Susan Higginbotham
can't believe how many people are criticising grammar etc. This is a heart breaking story of a child who went to hell and back but came out the other side and is doing what he can to help. Great work Jessie, thank you.
Kenneth
I am not finished yet but as a rad parent the stories are all to real. Thanks to Jessie for the hope.
Moriah
Moriah marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Shatika
Shatika marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Jarrett Clay
Jarrett Clay marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Serena Anglec Hibbard
Serena Anglec Hibbard marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
karen lampman
karen lampman marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Alexandrea
Alexandrea marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Liz Glowienka
Liz Glowienka marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Amy K
Amy K marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Carlie Ross
Carlie Ross marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
MAFO Book
MAFO Book marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Sep 17, 2014
Dedot Esdashjay
Dedot Esdashjay marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Ticia
Ticia marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Elizabeth Eddington
Elizabeth Eddington marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014