Start by marking “Betrayal of Magic: Doma: Department of Magic Book 1” as Want to Read:
Betrayal of Magic: Doma: Department of Magic Book 1

Betrayal of Magic: Doma: Department of Magic Book 1 (Department of Magic #1)

Cadan Johnson lived a seemingly ordinary life. He was on the soccer and cross country teams and had a loving family. But one thing about the Johnsons made them very unordinary- they could perform magic.

When a mysterious spell on his school counselor backfires, Cadan is faced with the realization that everything he thought he knew about his family has been a lie. He leaves
Published June 30th 2011 by Siege Tower Publishing (first published June 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal of Magic

Nic
Aug 25, 2012 Nic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since Cadan could remember he was able to use magic. Born in a family filled with magical powers he must train to hone his magical skills while keeping it a secret from everyone else. In a series of unfortunate events Cadan discovers that his world isn't what it truly seems to be. In an attempt to find some answers Cadan travels to New York, and that's where his world truly collapses. When you don't know your own Identity, who do you trust?

The novel revolved around magical powers and I'm
sh(e)reader
They say don't judge a book by it's cover ... I have to say that both covers here almost kept me from reading this book. Just cartoon and amateurish images.

The story itself wasn't bad. The writing was a little stilted, it just didn't really flow. Like the author was trying too hard. Many of the things these teenagers said felt really unnatural ("You're a selfish and indignant person" or "it sounds cliche and cheesy" or "you're a lightsaber" instead of "lifesaver" by one boy who mixes up common
Cathleen
Oct 28, 2012 Cathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this book as a "freebie" at Amazon. I am so glad that I did. I wasn't sure what to expect as this author and the story are unknown to me. What a great surprise this book was. I was drawn into Cadan Johnson's story right from the first page and had a hard time to put it down as I wanted to see where the author was taking me next.

I was so surprised at how well written this story is. I was happy that the author did not write these young characters as goofy. I have read other stories ab
Laurie Franco
Sep 19, 2012 Laurie Franco rated it it was amazing
Betrayal of Magic honestly started off just a LITTLE bit slow for me. It took me up until Caden was with his school counselor and things started getting "interesting" that I was completely hooked. The concept is great, storyline is awesome and there are two fight scenes that I would LOVE to see on the "Big Screen". I can completely see this book, and (even without reading the rest of the books....yet) possibly the entire series being made into a movie. You can't help but root for Caden and his ...more
Jen Blackham
As part of Amazon Prime, Kindle owners can borrow one e-book per month. This was one I grabbed, as it was rated fairly high (granted, it doesn't have THAT many ratings). I'll add my own.

This was the author's first foray into publishing, and it felt a little like that. It wasn't bad, the writing style just wasn't up to par with most of the other books I've been reading. Maybe aimed at a younger audience. Nothing much objectionable in it.

I actually did like the story. I did NOT care for the cover
Christopher Dubey
Jul 04, 2013 Christopher Dubey rated it liked it
My professional review of Book 1 and a basic review of Book 2

‘Harry Potter’ meets ‘James Bond’ in the ‘Department of Magic’ series

Chris Dubey
Hartford Books Examiner
Examiner.com
Turner Brooks
Turner Brooks rated it did not like it
May 25, 2015
Carole Beasley
Carole Beasley rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Renee L Kwiecinski
Renee L Kwiecinski rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Duece One
Duece One rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Nicky
Nicky rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2013
'rebecca Jeanty
'rebecca Jeanty rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Rasma
Rasma rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was ok
May 26, 2013
Marinne Carter
Marinne Carter rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Billie Jo
Billie Jo rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Lucy Kay
Lucy Kay rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Ches Vaters
Ches Vaters rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Allyn
Allyn rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Joe Patterson
Joe Patterson rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Samantha S Shaw
Samantha S Shaw rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Kadidji
Kadidji rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Miesje Biggs
Miesje Biggs rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Abhishek Chakrabarti
Abhishek Chakrabarti rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2016
Suzie Graydon
Suzie Graydon rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
chris poer
chris poer rated it did not like it
Feb 29, 2016
Lorraine Beaumont
Lorraine Beaumont rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
  • The Weeping Empress
  • Fistful of Reefer (Lost DMB Files #17)
  • Il Vendetta
  • Bleedover
  • The New Death and others
  • Sven the Zombie Slayer
  • The Quest for Nobility
  • Terrafae
  • The Schliemann Legacy
  • Ticket To Hollywood (Asphalt Warrior, #2)
  • The Luck of Han'anga (War of the Second Iteration #1)
  • Within
  • The Hunter Inside
  • Timeless Conflict
  • Rebellion (The Colony #1)
  • The Boy Who Flew With Eagles
  • Beyond Birkie Fever
  • Sanctuary (Dominion, #1)
Brian Dockins was born and raised in the Dallas area, where he currently lives.
He began writing from an early age and finally published his first book in June 2011.
As of April 2012, he has published the first three titles in his series, along with several short stories that fill in some of the gaps for the supporting characters.
More about Brian Dockins...

Department of Magic (6 books)
  • Shrouded Island (Department of Magic, #2)
  • Rise of the Witch (Department of Magic, #3)
  • Magic of Heroes (Department of Magic Book, #4)
  • Hounds of the Himalayas (Department of Magic Book #5)
  • Second Exodus (Department of Magic, #6)