Start by marking “Book of Secrets” as Want to Read:
Book of Secrets

Book of Secrets

"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

Did you know Pope John VIII was actually a woman? Or that the U.S. Government smashed a bacteria-laden lightbulb in a New York subway station in 1966 to see how long it would take to travel throughout the entire system? You will after reading the Book of Secrets. Everybody loves secrets and the world is full of them. And n
Published October 1st 2005 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Book of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Secrets

Brad
Feb 10, 2009 Brad rated it liked it
The Book of Secrets should really be called The Book of Little Known Facts and a Couple of Secrets. But that little bit of obfuscation shouldn't keep you away from the fun of its obscure and trivial information.

Sure the choice of information is arbitrary (from hidden or closed New York Subway stations to the Victorian meanings of flowers) and occasionally mundane (like the secrets of eggs), but it is always interesting and often sends an avid thinker or seeker down a new path to knowledge.

Don't
Stephanie
Book of Secrets provides an interesting little diversion into little-known facts of history, from the mundane ("The many secrets of eggs" and the different abandoned New York subway stations) to the more secretive, like the locations of different MI6/MI5 buildings and headquarters.

It is a light read, not only because of its small pocket-size, but also because all the factoids are very succinct and self-contained. Good for having something random to read in the minute or two before going to bed,
Christie
Jun 07, 2012 Christie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I keep on hand to read if I am stuck in traffic or waiting for anything.
It is 4in X 4in so it fits in a purse. It is just filled with little tidbits that I hope one of these days a piece of this useless information will help me win a nerd quiz. ; )

I enjoyed it and it was a quick read. I also picked it up for myself from ThinkGeek.
Jesse
Dec 27, 2010 Jesse rated it really liked it
An excellent pocket-sized tome. It's full of short blurbs of random information such as how to make chicken like the Colonel, decomissioned train stations, and some handy dating tips. Other articles were vaguely more disturbing like how our email is being monitored. All in all a very fun and easy read.
Richard
Apr 19, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Four stars for sheer portability...

I got this book on an impulse. It was reasonably priced when I was ordering other stuff from 'Think Geek', so I decided to treat myself (heck, you can never have too many books right!)

Its a tiny book, not much more than a couple of inches along each side, which means you can literally carry it in your back pocket and not even worry about it getting bent out of shape.

The premise of the book is to share some of the secrets about the world around you. However, if
G. Branden
Dec 26, 2011 G. Branden rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: impatient trivia buffs
On the downside, this brief title cites no sources, and some of the secrets it cites are either unsurprising or would already be known to a sufficiently curious and geeky person (like the existence of ECHELON, or the "secret" [really "unpublished"] daily flight from Miama International to Havana).

On the upside, there is some interesting information, particularly about New York City's decomissioned subway stations (the one at City Hall is particularly fascinating, and it is something of a crime t
Jared Anderson
So this book was okay. I would've given it three stars but I feel like the book was misrepresented. What started as secret tunnels under New York and Paris turned into secrets for flirting. While some info was intriguing, it seemed a bit contrived. Every other entry belonged more in a gas station advice pamphlet. Does such a thing exist? Well, it does now.
Joseph
Apr 21, 2016 Joseph rated it liked it
An entertaining little read, though the title is a bit misleading. The book is not so much filled with "secrets" as it is filled with a variety of trivia and little-known facts on various topics. I'd recommend it as a gift, even more so if you can find it on sale.
Faisal Shakeel
Jan 07, 2015 Faisal Shakeel marked it as to-read
good
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
It's a neat little book but I think the word secret isn't quite appropriate, there isn't that many actual secrets. It's more of a book of lesser known facts that could be found rather easily if you spent a few hours on the computer. Never the less it is pretty cool and relatively cheap.
Stacy
Apr 28, 2016 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-rid-of
Cute small book with a plethora of "secrets". Some are more well-known than others. I am not sure of the veracity of any of the "facts" presented, but it's a fun read. This would be a great wee little stocking stuffer for a teen or young adult, or anyone who likes little factoids.
Kristen
May 10, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book told me about four secret unused NY subway stations, how to make KFC's fried chicken, why the government smashed a light bulb full of bacteria in a subway in 1966, and all about the daily commercial flight from the US to Cuba. Fascinating and fun!
Jenine
Oct 26, 2013 Jenine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
A small book of "secrets" that is fun to peruse. The secrets range from how to tell the freshness of an egg to the worlds oldest face cream and back to how to make a great first impression.

A fun conversation starter or stocking stuffer.
Sharakael
Nov 25, 2008 Sharakael rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like random trivia.
Shelves: trivia
Lots of random trivia in this book, some of which you would had heard, and others which would surprise you. Quite an enjoyable read just to pass time, since you can always pick it up and open a random page.
Skinnypeterm
Jan 09, 2010 Skinnypeterm rated it really liked it
A cute little book full of interesting and odd facts. There were some secrets, but most of them were things that weren't very secret, just odd facts you don't think about every day.
Pedro
Mar 15, 2012 Pedro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curiosidades, y mucha informacion interesante. No llamaria secretos aunque si es una buena fuente de anecdotas que convertirian a cualquiera en el centro de la conversacion...
David
Dec 23, 2009 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting collection of small facts, but they're hardly secrets. And some are really urban legends - not necessarily true.
Fabian
Jul 13, 2009 Fabian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I now know some secrets that some men would kill for. I'm ready for the next step. And yes, I can make KFC chicken!!!!!!
Crnbryeggshls
Oct 05, 2011 Crnbryeggshls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This adorably tiny volume is full of little known facts. Makes a great gift or portable conversation starter.
Ian Apperley
Nov 14, 2011 Ian Apperley rated it liked it
If you can buy it in a second hand store or for a couple of bucks, go for it, its a coffee table curio.
Julie
Feb 24, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book, oddly high on use of male pronouns when identifying with the reader.
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Ashiu
Ashiu added it
Sep 22, 2016
Bartholomew Roberts
Bartholomew Roberts marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Maryam Adem
Maryam Adem marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Genika
Genika marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Minilos3
Minilos3 marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Kalan S Kier
Kalan S Kier rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
  • History's Greatest Lies: The Startling Truths Behind World Events our History Books Got Wrong
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy
  • Mental Floss: Scatterbrained
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things Not Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • The Encyclopedia of Amazons: Women Warriors from Antiquity to the Modern Era
  • The Complete Manual of Things That Might Kill You: A Guide to Self-Diagnosis for Hypochondriacs
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • Stargate Atlantis: Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • Nightfall (Stargate Atlantis, #10)
  • Pocket Ref