Start by marking “You Could Do Better” as Want to Read:
You Could Do Better

You Could Do Better

2.84 of 5 stars 2.84  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Daphne tells herself that being glued to the TV counts as research for her job at the Museum of Television and Radio, but the truth is that her fiance Charlie just isn't making the ratings. Then Daphne meets the sexy writer/producer Jonathan, and the picture comes in loud and clear: this man can turn her on like a remote control."
Published August 1st 2006 by NAL Trade

To ask other readers questions about You Could Do Better, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Could Do Better

Julia
so. i've always been a bit prejudiced towards chick lit because of their predictability and naivety, so when my sister gave me this book saying it was an okay read, just your typical romance, i wasn't too ecstatic but i took it anyway. it took me some time to get to it. it wasn't that bad. through the first half i was annoyed because it was obvious what was going to happen. but at one point i decided to indulge in the predictability and naivety and enjoy this book because not everything has to b ...more
Jill Schiefelbein
This was in the dollar bin at a used bookstore and served its purpose of entertainment. Not bad at all for a book to read by the pool.
May 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NO ONE. EVER.
I hated this book. I mean, deep in my dark little heart.

My main issue with it was the heroine, who I found to be the least likable main character since Mein Kampf. There is nothing endearing about this woman. She's shallow, television-obsessed, and has a sense of entitlement that dwarfs that of Prince William. She cannot turn a reality show off long enough to get a proposal from her boyfriend.

Beyond the fact I hated the main character, a general word of warning for people considering reading th
Glynda Daniels
I'm not a fan of those that are complacent with life... The main character is. It's written okay and it was entertaining. It's just not one I would highly recommend.
Manuela De sampaio
Light reading, but the story is quite silly, even for chick-lit . In sum: you can do better.
Kaethe
woman who'd rather watch TV than plan her wedding, a woman, may I say, after my own heart
Meredith
Sep 06, 2007 Meredith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tv buffs
I really enjoyed this book and think that it deserves a lot more credit than just chick lit. It's about a young woman in her 20's living in NYC who isn't sure about her current relationship and deciding where she wants it to go. She also works a the NY Television Museum and there were a lot of TV references (to older and new TV shows) and I would really recommend for those who love TV and also like chick lit. This book for me had a lot of substance and although a bit predictable. I still really ...more
Michelle
Wow, this book was SO not for me. I don't watch much tv at all, and there are so many tv references in this book that I just couldn't get interested. I found that I did not enjoy reading a book about watching tv, but I tried to at least soak up some knowledge on the history of tv so that I could take at least a little something away from it. That said, this book would be great for someone that is tv obsessed, and when they do want to read, they want to read about tv!
Kendra
I enjoyed this book, although I did not love it. I did find it entertaining and interesting but I felt like in certain circumstances we could have learned more about some of the characters earlier in the book. I felt that some of the character development occured too late and by the time you really got a good feel for them the story was over.
Kimlee
I stuck with this one a lot longer than I normally would have because I was intrigued with the main character's job as a curator at the Museum of Television and Radio. In the end, she drove me absolutely crazy and I kind of hated her.
Bridget
You Could Do Better is a very ironic title, because really - You could read a better book!! I dont mind cookie cutter chick lit books, but this kinda bad. Most of the characters had very annoying habits and were unlikeable.
Saimah
Not that good a read. Gets monotonous and too irritating at times.
Though the TV addicted Daphne Wells gave me the creeps about my Internet addiction. A Rehab? :P
Dana
It sort-of paralleled the drama that is occurring in my life right now, which made me really enjoy it.
This was good. A nice, easy, light book, which is what I needed after reading Middlesex!
Tracy
No award winning, earth shattering book here. It was a fun summer read.
Bren
When I pulled this from the library shelf...I chose poorly.
Eli
Well, that was a waste of time!
Lina Malink
A girly book to pass the time.
Mindy Hu
Would not read again or recommend.
Shellie
yeah, more trash from the B&N sale
Dyah Prabawati
havent finished yet
be patient....
Amanda Prata
Amanda Prata marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Natalie Marie
Natalie Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Meighan
Meighan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Stella Lima
Stella Lima marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
  • The J.A.P. Chronicles
  • Life Over Easy
  • Handbags and Gladrags
  • Nice Girls Finish First
  • Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club (HGC, #2)
  • The Paper Marriage
  • The Yoga Mamas
  • Off the Record
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
  • Not Quite A Bride
My novels are The Art of Undressing, Thoughts While Having Sex, Are you in the Mood?, and You Could Do Better. They aren't as sexy as they sound, which could be good or bad depending on your point of view.

My new novel is Astor Place Vintage, and that will be published by Simon and Schuster in 2013. It's about a woman who works in a department store in 1907 Manhattan and a woman who owns a vintage
More about Stephanie Lehmann...
Astor Place Vintage The Art of Undressing Thoughts While Having Sex Are You In The Mood? Your Novel Sucks... Now What?