Start by marking “Cassandra (Delphic Women, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cassandra (Delphic Women, #2)

Cassandra (Delphic Women #2)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Cassandra is the second in The Delphic Women trilogy.

Doomed, magnificent Troy is burning...

Cassandra, the golden-haired princess cursed with the gift of prophecy, and Diomenes, the Achaean with the healing hands, become puppets of the gods.

Their passions are thwarted, their loves betrayed, their gifts rendered useless for the sake of a wager between two immortals.

Will Cass
Unknown Binding, 368 pages
Published 1995 by Mandarin

To ask other readers questions about Cassandra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cassandra

Cassandra Page
Both Cassandra and Diomenes are healers who've had close encounters with gods early on in their lives. Cassandra and her twin, Eleni, are given the gift of prophecy as small children, while Diomenes becomes a healer after his life is saved by Glaucus, healing priest of Asclepius. During his illness, Thanatos, god of death, blesses him.

Maybe these blessings are what made the two the target of Aphrodite and Apollo's wager. The gist of the bet is that Aphrodite believes she can get the two together
Jane
Oct 30, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Trojan War has been covered in so many novels and plays, many of which are classics of historical fiction or fantasy genre from Homer and Aeschylus to Heinrich von Kleist to David Gemmell, Seamus Heaney and even Hector Berlioz's opera Les Troyens, that I feel it's more and more difficult for writers to come up with an original, interesting slant on the story. This author succeeds admirably with this enjoyable novel: her retelling of the story of Cassandra. She makes the strong Cassandra a Tr ...more
Margaret
Nope. Can't get into it.
Ivyd
Nov 22, 2013 Ivyd rated it liked it
CASSANDRA is Ms. Greenwood’s retelling of the Cassandra of Troy myth. Cassandra was a daughter of Priam and sister of Hector, the Trojan hero. Cassandra was a prophetess cursed by Apollo to prophesy the truth but never be believed.

CASSANDRA is told through Cassandra representing the Trojans and Chryse/Diomenes representing the Achaeans/Greeks.
Each chapter alternates with inserts of the gods discussing the mortals and events like a chess game. These inserts show the new gods, the childr
Tien
The main attraction to this novel was, of course, the author. Who doesn’t know Kerry Greenwood’s Phryne Fisher? I have read quite a few of her works; Phryne Fisher series (though not quite up to date), Corrina Chapman series, and the standalone Out of the Black Land –an Ancient Egyptian novel. I quite enjoy the ancient world and I thought this book which was loosely based on a Greek tragedy could be a good read.

I tried to read the first book, Medea, first (since I’m slightly OCD and cannot face
Cynthia
Dec 29, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It is exactly the sort of thing I like - history through the woman's perspective, a different view of a familiar story, rich background, absorbing narrative, multi-dimensional fascinating characters. Highly recommend if you enjoyed Mists of Avalon etc. by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Ms Greenwood is not quite the writer Ms Bradley is, but then who is.
Leanne Coughlin
Jan 27, 2015 Leanne Coughlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Lots of death, but by the time the bloodbath started you knew who lived and died, so it wasn't shocking. The focus was on the people and the way they lived and interacted. And it was really fascinating. And I really enjoyed the interaction between the gods and people. The structure reminded me a bit of The Book Thief with the Grim Reaper. And the subject matter made me want to reread David Malouf's book Ransom which was also about Hector and Achilles and the fall of Troy. But ...more
Caroline Ingvaldsen
May 20, 2014 Caroline Ingvaldsen rated it really liked it
A tragedy leavened with the optimism of hope and love, this retelling of the Illiad is an intriguing amalgam of erotic adventure story and historical fantasy.
JG
Cassandra is actually a re-telling or adaptation of events surrounding the Trojan War. There are definitely some twisting of the myth to suit the purpose of the plot which in a way expanded the story. A well written, interesting and entertaining novel that fans of Greek Mythology will definitely appreciate.

*The ARC for this novel was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review*
Katie Lawrence
Sep 23, 2013 Katie Lawrence rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I'm not sure I can fairly review this book right now... I will say this however, if you are a Greek mythology fan, do not go into this book expecting it to be faithful to myths about the Trojan War. On many, many occasions Greenwood diverges from the traditional myths and it is only occasionally effective for moving the story along.
Georgene
Mar 31, 2015 Georgene rated it liked it
With a bit of switching around of history, Greenwood writes a compelling story of Cassandra, Princess of Troy and a seer whom no one believes.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Kara
Kara added it
May 01, 2016
Georgiana
Georgiana marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Mj
Mj rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Raven Blue
Raven Blue marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Toni Tomlinson
Toni Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Samaresse
Samaresse marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Joyce Becker
Joyce Becker marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Tarmia Klass
Tarmia Klass marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Sheila Craig
Sheila Craig marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Abbe
Abbe added it
Feb 06, 2016
Mary Howard
Mary Howard marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
  • Losing It: A Collection of VCards
  • Never Forgotten (Collective, #3)
  • Divided (Open Heart #1)
  • The Return from Troy
  • Fight For Me (The Tate Chronicles, #2)
  • Shimmering Splendor (Greek Myths, #2)
  • Stormcaller (Stormcaller Cycle, #1)
  • Running Home (The Shinigami series, #1)
  • The Wrong Book
  • The Last Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #0.6)
  • Asleep (Fairytale Collection #2)
  • Goatsong: A Novel of Ancient Athens (The Walled Orchard #1)
  • Of Merchants & Heroes
  • The Salbine Sisters
  • Kings and Assassins (Antyre, #2)
  • Samantha Moon Rising (Vampire for Hire, #5-7, Teeth 1.5)
  • Ward Against Darkness (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #2)
  • The Armies of Heaven (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #3)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Delphic Women (3 books)
  • Medea (Delphic Women, #1)
  • Electra (Delphic Women, #3)

“The state is a matter of consent,’ I heard old Master Tiraes instruct her as she sat at his feet. ‘The king and the subjects all agree that one shall rule and others shall be ruled. Decisions taken by a king, therefore, bind his followers, but they cannot be forced too far, because then they will depose the king and seek another, better able to carry out their will.” 0 likes
“The difficulty, my asclepid, is not to govern people, but to make them govern themselves,” 0 likes