Start by marking “Cassandra (Delphic Women, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cassandra (Delphic Women, #2)

Cassandra (Delphic Women #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Cassandra is the second in The Delphic Women trilogy.

Doomed, magnificent Troy is burning...

Cassandra, the golden-haired princess cursed with the gift of prophecy, and Diomenes, the Achaean with the healing hands, become puppets of the gods.

Their passions are thwarted, their loves betrayed, their gifts rendered useless for the sake of a wager between two immortals.

Will Cass
Unknown Binding, 368 pages
Published 1995 by Mandarin

To ask other readers questions about Cassandra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cassandra

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesTwilight by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
Trees died for this?
401st out of 405 books — 215 voters
The Girl of Fire and Thorns Complete Collection by Rae CarsonShadows on the Moon by Zoë MarriottThe Tarot Reader by Laura LamDaughter of the Bright Moon by Lynn AbbeyThe Secrets of Jin-shei by Alma Alexander
Booktinary's Non-European Fantasy by Women
57th out of 113 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
The Trojan War has been covered in so many novels and plays, many of which are classics of historical fiction or fantasy genre from Homer and Aeschylus to Heinrich von Kleist to David Gemmell, Seamus Heaney and even Hector Berlioz's opera Les Troyens, that I feel it's more and more difficult for writers to come up with an original, interesting slant on the story. This author succeeds admirably with this enjoyable novel: her retelling of the story of Cassandra. She makes the strong Cassandra a Tr ...more
Margaret
Nope. Can't get into it.
Cassandra Page
Both Cassandra and Diomenes are healers who've had close encounters with gods early on in their lives. Cassandra and her twin, Eleni, are given the gift of prophecy as small children, while Diomenes becomes a healer after his life is saved by Glaucus, healing priest of Asclepius. During his illness, Thanatos, god of death, blesses him.

Maybe these blessings are what made the two the target of Aphrodite and Apollo's wager. The gist of the bet is that Aphrodite believes she can get the two together
Ivyd
CASSANDRA is Ms. Greenwood’s retelling of the Cassandra of Troy myth. Cassandra was a daughter of Priam and sister of Hector, the Trojan hero. Cassandra was a prophetess cursed by Apollo to prophesy the truth but never be believed.

CASSANDRA is told through Cassandra representing the Trojans and Chryse/Diomenes representing the Achaeans/Greeks.
Each chapter alternates with inserts of the gods discussing the mortals and events like a chess game. These inserts show the new gods, the childr
Tien
The main attraction to this novel was, of course, the author. Who doesn’t know Kerry Greenwood’s Phryne Fisher? I have read quite a few of her works; Phryne Fisher series (though not quite up to date), Corrina Chapman series, and the standalone Out of the Black Land –an Ancient Egyptian novel. I quite enjoy the ancient world and I thought this book which was loosely based on a Greek tragedy could be a good read.

I tried to read the first book, Medea, first (since I’m slightly OCD and cannot face
Cynthia
I loved this book. It is exactly the sort of thing I like - history through the woman's perspective, a different view of a familiar story, rich background, absorbing narrative, multi-dimensional fascinating characters. Highly recommend if you enjoyed Mists of Avalon etc. by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Ms Greenwood is not quite the writer Ms Bradley is, but then who is.
Leanne Coughlin
I liked this book. Lots of death, but by the time the bloodbath started you knew who lived and died, so it wasn't shocking. The focus was on the people and the way they lived and interacted. And it was really fascinating. And I really enjoyed the interaction between the gods and people. The structure reminded me a bit of The Book Thief with the Grim Reaper. And the subject matter made me want to reread David Malouf's book Ransom which was also about Hector and Achilles and the fall of Troy. But ...more
Caroline Ingvaldsen
A tragedy leavened with the optimism of hope and love, this retelling of the Illiad is an intriguing amalgam of erotic adventure story and historical fantasy.
Julie
Cassandra is actually a re-telling or adaptation of events surrounding the Trojan War. There are definitely some twisting of the myth to suit the purpose of the plot which in a way expanded the story. A well written, interesting and entertaining novel that fans of Greek Mythology will definitely appreciate.

*The ARC for this novel was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review*
Katie Lawrence
I'm not sure I can fairly review this book right now... I will say this however, if you are a Greek mythology fan, do not go into this book expecting it to be faithful to myths about the Trojan War. On many, many occasions Greenwood diverges from the traditional myths and it is only occasionally effective for moving the story along.
Georgene
With a bit of switching around of history, Greenwood writes a compelling story of Cassandra, Princess of Troy and a seer whom no one believes.
Ainsley Free
One of my favorite tellings of the Cassandra story within the legend of the Trojan War. Very enjoyable.
Debbie Gregg
Debbie Gregg marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Tinkerbell
Tinkerbell marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Misericordia
Misericordia marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Raquel
Raquel is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Chelsea Lawer
Chelsea Lawer is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2015
Holly Lutmer
Holly Lutmer marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Aziza
Aziza marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Max Rudin
Max Rudin marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Losing It: A Collection of VCards
  • Angel Of Ruin
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • The Wrong Book
  • Samantha Moon Rising (Vampire for Hire, #5-7, Teeth 1.5)
  • The Last Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #0.6)
  • Kings and Assassins (Antyre, #2)
  • The Return from Troy
  • Stormcaller (Stormcaller Cycle, #1)
  • The Song of Troy
  • The Armies of Heaven (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #3)
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • At the Palaces of Knossos
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • Of Merchants & Heroes
  • The Salbine Sisters
  • Fireflies
  • Fall For Me (The Tate Chronicles, #1)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,
More about Kerry Greenwood...

Delphic Women (3 books)
  • Medea (Delphic Women, #1)
  • Electra (Delphic Women, #3)
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

“The state is a matter of consent,’ I heard old Master Tiraes instruct her as she sat at his feet. ‘The king and the subjects all agree that one shall rule and others shall be ruled. Decisions taken by a king, therefore, bind his followers, but they cannot be forced too far, because then they will depose the king and seek another, better able to carry out their will.” 0 likes
“The difficulty, my asclepid, is not to govern people, but to make them govern themselves,” 0 likes