Start by marking “The Trail of Tears” as Want to Read:
The Trail of Tears

The Trail of Tears (Step into Reading, Step 5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Recounts how the Cherokees, after fighting to keep their land in the nineteenth century, were forced to leave and travel 1200 miles to a new settlement in Oklahoma, a terrible journey known as the Trail of Tears.
Published September 21st 1999 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Trail of Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trail of Tears

Ebookwormy
This book is filled with problems that make it undesirable for our use. I'm not denying that North American Indians, as well as tribal people all over the world suffered under the advancement of colonialism. However, the clash of cultures and the injustices suffered are far from the unique victim hood claimed. This account doesn't get at the real issues inherent in culture clashes, nor does it make it more understandable for kids.

"What we know as Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Car
Wendy Watkins
I followed along with my second grader as he read this chapter book. We finished it in only 2 readings, so it was easy for him to understand and keep interested.
We have spent the last few months teaching him about our family's Cherokee heritage, and he just completed a social studies fair project on John Ross and the Trail of Tears. This book had just the right amount of history mixed with story telling.
We visited the Sequoyah Birthplace Museum last week, and he was excited when the book menti
Koorihime-sama
I OWN A SINGLE COPY.
BOUGHT AT AMAZON.COM.

Review/Rating:

3 out of 5

Through simple explanation, the author explains the history behind the Trail of Tears and the challenges that the Cherokee Nation faced during this time period. Chief of the Cherokee Nation, John Ross, and his people (17,000) must leave their homes and go west. During this trying time period and journey, a lot of deaths and hardships will befall them.

The information given is pretty much interesting, which one of the reasons why I l
Leticia Martinez
This book was the book I selected for the Historical Fiction book selection. It is on a reading level for children in second grade through forth grade. I selected this book because it talks about the Cherokee Nation back in 1838 and how they were the first settlers in this country and they had to leave their territory. Also, I find it easy to read, the story matches the illustrations, but it gives a narrow history story.
Holley
Excellent. does not hold back but is age appropriate.
Lizzi
Andrew Jackson Sucks!!
Adam Clavey
The Trail of Tears tell the historical account of Indian removal in America. The book focuses on John Ross and his work in fighting against Indian removal. This book is good because it is accurate and tell the story without bias. This book is able to take a hard issue and make is digestible for children. I would have students between grades two and four read this book. This book reveals some of the darker history of America but also tells the a story of hope and how the Cherokees flourished agai ...more
Lauren
This book is a detailed account of the Trail of Tears and the Cherokee tribe with illustrations and pictures that keep children interested. History of the European settlements, history and information about the Cherokee and Sequoyah's alphabet are included.

Names and dates are included: John Ross (Chief of Cherokee Nation- Kentucky, Virginia, N./S. Caronlina, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee), Sequoyah, Thomas Jefferson, gold rush in GA, John Quincy Adams, the Treaty of New Echota, Civil War, Cheroke
S.
This book does a fairly good job of presenting some pretty tough historical info to kids (another book on my son's homeschool reading list). It doesn't gloss over the bad stuff so be prepared to discuss the fact that our nation has done some pretty awful things. Simple, easy-to-understand sentences, although the writing seemed a little choppy. Beautiful watercolor illustrations.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 2462 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 4.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Malissa
A good, simple book for early independent readers about the historical Trail of Tears. Bright illustrations help expand an early reader's understanding.
Mystique
Cameron (my In2Books Penpal) has chosen this as our Social Studies book. It's next up on my In2Books queue!
Monique Mcdonald
Great historical book for introducng the Cherokee Indians.
Rylee
Rylee added it
Jul 12, 2015
Ker
Ker marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Sophie
Sophie added it
Jun 24, 2015
Lori
Lori added it
Jun 17, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Suzi Babilino
Suzi Babilino marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Brandy
Brandy added it
May 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by wh ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...

Step into Reading, Step 5 (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Baseball's Best: Five True Stories
  • Baseball's Greatest Hitters
  • Moonwalk: The First Trip to the Moon
  • Basketball's Greatest Players
  • True-Life Treasure Hunts (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5)
  • Quakes! (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5)
  • Great Women Athletes (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5)
  • Dinosaurs Alive! The Dinosaur-Bird Connection
  • To the Top!: Climbing the World's Highest Mountain
  • Jackie Robinson and the Story of All Black Baseball
Code Talker: A Novel About the Navajo Marines of World War Two Skeleton Man Dragon Castle Wolf Mark Killer of Enemies