Start by marking “Short Short Stories (Pocket Penguin 70's #65)” as Want to Read:
Short Short Stories (Pocket Penguin 70's #65)

Short Short Stories (Pocket Penguin 70's #65)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The book is a collection of short stories by Eggers. It is part of a larger group of small paperback books published by Penguin titled "Pocket Penguin". Short Short Stories is 65th in the series.
Paperback
Published May 6th 2005 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Short Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Short Stories

Christian
Like so many times with these microfiction efforts, the result is uneven. Some of the short short stories are fun, clever or deep (or all of that at the same time). But sometimes they are just silly or predictable. Also, as you read more, the impact you get from this quick trips is lessened. I read the book in one seat, and I found some of the stories repetitive or redudant, but maybe that effect is not so clear if you just read one and let it sink in, and read the next one the next day. Who kno ...more
Paul
This is an interesting concept (1-3 page/paragraph stories) and some of them are really good. My favorite is "What the Water Feels Like to the Fishes". Eggers does a good job isolating some of the stranger moments of human interaction, but some of the stories, particularly where he goes of randomly about the war and Bush, seem just like a blog entry and don't have much literary value. Still, a fun short little book, with some stories that benefit from re-reading.
Jihan Bok
A good little representation of Eggers' skill when it comes to flash fiction. Though some of the stories in this ensemble were easily passed over, others, such as 'you know how to spell Elijah' and 'what the water feels like to the fishes' or 'the definition of reg' were brilliant, punchy, and hilarious, even sobering. That they managed to be so in five hundred words or less is testament to the way Eggers manipulates words and feeds emotion.
nick holt
i've had something of a reading block for a few years now. The succinct, economical and brilliant writing in this little book stunned, surprised and moved me. In particular the story 'How water feels to the fishes'. Which i urge you too read. It can be read in minutes. A breath of fresh air. I need more Dave Eggers in my life.
Louis
On any other day this might have gotten three stars, but no, it deserves four. Really enjoyable.
I think this only sat on my shelf for so long because it's so small. It hid in between the much fatter a heartbreaking work of staggering genius and the much taller you shall know our velocity
Natasha Chowdory
Fun. Lots of fun in a slim volume. I like how he takes normal everyday occurances and weaves them into short stories. I read this in about 40 minutes but they are fun. Not aspiring to anything but rather being perfect because they are so normal. I would recommned this for a bus or train journey.:) My favourite story is the man sat at the airport getting sucked into listening to a girl and her parents trying to complete a crossword in Teen Magazine. So perfectly observed.
Ryan
I love almost anything written by Dave Eggers, and this little book was no exception. Compared to his novels, this 2-hour group of very short stories seemed to be more risk-taking, as if he was writing for a smaller and more accepting audience. Some stories seemed unfinished and some were brilliant, like flickering moments from life that form a story or in some cases only a gesture of one. Added up, the stories made for a really pleasant -- albeit short -- read.
Simon
My first Eggers. No story is longer than a few pages. Most are surreal or absurd or perverse in some way. At times they work, revealing some amusing psychological quirk, at times it's just forced wackiness (a giant squid who wants to study to become an accountant!!!), and several are just thinly-disguised anti-Bush rants.
Christine
Jul 01, 2008 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who don't want to carry a heavy book with them on the subway
This little Penguin UK edition of Eggers kept a slightly upturned sardonic smile on my face as I read it on the L train in torn tight jeans and converse....
It's hipster food I'll admit, but I just gobble it on up.

(it's hard to find- I got this from the Penguin boxed set that we have at the office)
Teri
This is a tiny book of stories, most of which are only two pages long. I like Eggers and a few of the stories are really funny. Some have no point, but again it's Eggers. And a few are harsh anti-Bush rants.

Random. If you have 30 minutes with nothing else to do, this book's for you.
Bellish
I only read this because it was small enough to fit in my handbag! These short stories were all entertaining, and were often clever, funny or thought-provoking, but generally I feel they're just a bit too, well, short to be memorable.
Christopher Ashley
bitterly funny and exceptionally short - most stories are less than two pages long but that doesn't diminish their power. more political than i expected but nice foreshadowing of his later books. if you find a copy, buy it!
Dina Jereidini
Brilliant collection. Brought on a spectrum of emotions so rarely found in short fiction. Witty and touching, reads like poetry, and difficult to put down.
Brian Wilson
Every so often you read a book that totally surprises and delights you with its freshness and ingenuity. This is one such book!
Sophie
Original stories. Sometimes touching, sometimes confronting, usually funny and always clever. A remarkable writer.
Martin
Wow. Some of these very very short stories are amazing. Highly recommended.
Risa
Short Short Stories (Pocket Penguins) by Dave Eggers (2005)
Frazer Gowans
Some of these are really excellent - highly recommended
Jessica
Some of these stories really make me laugh out loud.
lauren
why, dave...why do you have to be so ding dang funny!?
Rebecca Blankenship Papin
A delicious little collection of short stories.
Tonybone
Sheep like bachman turner overdrive
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Hanna
Hanna is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Ursa
Ursa marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Denis
Denis marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • The Unabridged Pocketbook of Lightning (Pocket Penguin 70's #11)
  • Otherwise Pandemonium  -- includes Not a Star (Pocket Penguin 70's #3)
  • Jeeves and the Impending Doom and Other Stories
  • The Kiss (Pocket Penguin 70's #60)
  • Artists and Models (Pocket Penguin 70's #15)
  • The Murder (Pocket Penguin 70's #69)
  • Hotheads (Pocket Penguins 70's #37)
  • Street Haunting (Pocket Penguin 70's #44)
  • Forgetting Things
  • Happy Birthday, Jack Nicholson (Pocket Penguin 70's #33)
  • Martha and Hanwell
  • The Diamond as Big as the Ritz
  • On Seeing and Noticing
  • The Great Wall of China and Other Stories
  • The Mirror of Ink (Pocket Penguins 70's #9)
  • Nothing Bad Ever Happens In Tiffany's (Pocket Penguin 70's #8)
  • Innocent House (Pocket Penguin 70's #5)
  • The Worst Thing A Suburban Girl Could Imagine (Pocket Penguin 70's #57)
Dave Eggers is the author of seven previous books, including his most recent, The Circle, a captivating story of one woman’s ambition and idealism that soon becomes a heart-racing novel of suspense, raising questions about memory, history, privacy, democracy, and the limits of human knowledge.

Eggers is the founder and editor of McSweeney's, an independent publishing house based in San Francisco th
More about Dave Eggers...
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius What is the What Zeitoun The Circle You Shall Know Our Velocity!