Start by marking “The Thinker's Way” as Want to Read:
The Thinker's Way

The Thinker's Way

A guide designed to encourage readers to dictate whether or not they will succeed in life. The authors shows, step by step, how everyone can improve their capacity to think critically, live creatively, choose freely and solve problems.
Paperback
Published March 8th 2000 by Back Bay Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Thinker's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thinker's Way

Mark
Apr 27, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it
I'm glad I stumbled on this book in Powell's Books when I was in Portland for work several years ago. Many life changes took place after I bought it, so it sat in a box as I bounced around the country, but I finally got around to reading it.

I agree with the author's premise that we are becoming an "unthinking" society, and I believe it is even worse than when he first wrote this book about 12 years ago. But Dr. Chaffee presents a set of traits we can develop to return ourselves to a life that pr
Shawn
Aug 12, 2011 Shawn added it
Intellectually stimulating
Crystal
Nov 08, 2008 Crystal marked it as non-fiction-someday  ·  review of another edition
HOW long have I had this book? A lot good that's done me.
Hans
May 06, 2008 Hans rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Interesting book advocating the need for critical thinking in a time of information overload. This book teaches techniques on how to sift through "data smog".
Gmendra Lau
May 08, 2014 Gmendra Lau rated it really liked it
Woww!
Susan Ursel
Susan Ursel rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2010
Jane Dugger
Jane Dugger rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Matt Gardner
Matt Gardner rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2008
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Lestat Vazquez
Lestat Vazquez rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Jim Bouchard
Jim Bouchard rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2010
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Sonia
Sonia rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2009
April
April rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Marvin Koteck
Marvin Koteck rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2008
Jeremiah
May 21, 2014 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Read 60% of this book.
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
J.A.
J.A. rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Brad Thor
Brad Thor rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014
Dru Skill
Dru Skill rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
April Richardson
April Richardson rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2009
Bonner Slayton
Bonner Slayton rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Dereksurfing
Dereksurfing rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Mark Steinman
Mark Steinman rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
  • I Am Right You Are Wrong: From This to the New Renaissance: From Rock Logic to Water Logic
  • The Tao of Philosophy: The Edited Transcripts (The Love of Wisdom Library)
  • "Dumbth": The Lost Art of Thinking With 101 Ways to Reason Better & Improve Your Mind
  • How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live: Learning the Alexander Technique to Explore Your Mind-Body Connection and Achieve Self-Mastery
  • An Intelligent Person's Guide to Philosophy
  • Toxic People: 10 Ways Of Dealing With People Who Make Your Life Miserable
  • Mind Set!: Reset Your Thinking and See the Future
  • Management of the Absurd
  • The Evelyn Wood Seven-Day Speed Reading and Learning Program
  • Petit cours d'autodéfense intellectuelle
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Healing Connection: How Women Form Relationships in Therapy and in Life
  • Why Didn't I Think of That? Think the Unthinkable and Achieve Creative Greatness
  • 35 Techniques Every Counselor Should Know
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • The Art of Clear Thinking

“Dr. Frankl discovered that even under the most inhumane of conditions, one can live a life of purpose and meaning. But for the majority of prisoners at Auschwitz, a meaningful life did not seem possible. Immersed in a world that no longer recognized the value of human life and human dignity, that robbed them of their will and made them objects to be exterminated, most inmates suffered a loss of their values. If a prisoner did not struggle against this spiritual destruction with a determined effort to save his self-respect, he lost his feeling of being an individual, a being with a mind, with inner freedom, and with personal value. His existence descended to the level of animal life, plunging him into a depression so deep that he became incapable of action. No entreaties, no blows, no threats would have any effect on his apathetic paralysis, and he soon died, underscoring the Russian novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky's observations: "Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded with bread.” 2 likes
“Everybody "thinks" - Homo sapiens means "thinking man" - but most people don't "think" very well.” 1 likes