Start by marking “Nothing Lost” as Want to Read:
Nothing Lost

Nothing Lost

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A grisly racial murder in what news commentators insist on calling “the heartland.” A feeding frenzy of mass media and seamy politics. An illicit love affair with the potential to wreck lives. In his grandly inventive last novel, John Gregory Dunne orchestrated these elements into a symphony of American violence, chicanery, and sadness.In the aftermath of Edgar Parlance’s ...more
Published May 17th 2005 by Vintage (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing Lost

Dan Rivas
I learned that candles can be used in uncomfortable ways.

John Gregory Dunne's last novel is a literary murder mystery that casts a broad satirical net over American media culture, politics, and the justice system.

Dunne may be most famous as the subject of "The Year of Magical Thinking" by his wife Joan Didion, but "Nothing Lost" is an excellent example of his attention to craft and his skill at creating intricate and meaningful stories that are simultaneously high and low literature.

The characte
Michelle
What do Jews do on Christmas Eve? Finish good books they are reading.

I've always been more a fan of Joan Didion than her husband; don't think I've finished anything of Dunne's before and the beginning of this one was (excuse the pun to be) a trial. But by the end it bore a not-so-distant modern cousin resemblance to the book that formed its epitaph--All the King's Men.

It seems to be about a trial of two young white men for a hate crime against a black man who might've been homosexual. It turns o
Meghan
Jan 08, 2011 Meghan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Crime novel fans
Recommended to Meghan by: Joan Didion
Shelves: american, crime, library, law
I recently read Joan Didion's A Year of Magical Thinking and she often referred to this book, as it was her husband's last novel (that he wrote before he died). I really enjoyed Didion's book and had become curious about both her works as well as her husband's. So at the library I came across this one and decided to try it.

If you like crime novels, this one should be added to your list of "to reads". It's fast paced, intelligent, and has a few twists and turns. Dunne is well known for his screen
Chrissie
This was probably more of a 3.5 star book. But, since it was published posthumously, I'm giving it the bump--it felt like a great book that just needed a little bit more work to hang together fully.
Susan
I'm sorry it's taken me this long to discover the late great John Gregory Dunne. Now that I have, I can't wait to burrow into his canon.
Noreen
Jun 28, 2007 Noreen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Interested in political intrigue
Shelves: fiction
This is Dunne’s last book as he died in December 2003, an account from his wife, Joan Didion has been written called: The Year of Magical Thinking. This story seems to have a similar type of style as Didion. It’s political, there are many characters. The story works as all the fragments in the beginning come together at the end making for an entertaining, if disturbing read, which makes it a successful story.
Jd
Too many characters, in the beginning it was hard to figure out who was talking. Lots of graphic violence and sex, which was fine by me, but others might not like. Suspense builds toward the last 100 pages, but before that I had to force myself to continue reading it because it was for a book club. The end is wrapped up nicely and I couldnt put it down at the end.
Susan
Apr 11, 2010 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I had only known of John Dunne because he was married to Joan Didion. I like his writing style - really like it. Recommended to those who like mysteries and suspense novels. It's not quite either, this book, but it's the closest I can come to a classification. I'm looking forward to picking up more of his books.
Jaime
I thought this was great. I really liked the pace, organization, and mysterious foreshadowing. The characters are interesting and authentically flawed. The one disappointment for me is that I felt the trial conclusion was a bit of a cop-out, though the aftermath was satisfying.
I had to give up after a few chapters. 10 new character names, some important, some not, are introduced practically every page. There was no way to keep track of all the names in this book. Not at all enjoyable.
E
Nothing gained by reading this. In fact I quit reading once the author used the word cunt to describe a female character and decided that I didn't want to slog through his misogynistic shit.
Kat Rohr
While the author created character after character with strong personalities and strong voices, the structure of the book was confusing. It was not clear who was speaking.
Scott
Not my usual genre; more of what my Dad would read--very Law & Order. If you spend 114 pages just introducing the characters, the book better lead somewhere fantastic--it didn't.
Stacy Lewis
pretty funny send-up of celebrity culture, politics, race relations.
Bookmarks Magazine

Nothing Lost is Dunne's last novel

Ellen
Political mystery, wonderful writing.
Marget
Cynical but smart.
Ausma
Ausma marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
Jul 12, 2015
Adam Maid
Adam Maid marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Bethany Woodson
Bethany Woodson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Maudee
Maudee marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Katie Keyser
Katie Keyser marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Gregory Dunne was an American novelist, screenwriter and literary critic.

He was born in Hartford, Connecticut, and was a younger brother of author Dominick Dunne. He suffered from a severe stutter and took up writing to express himself. Eventually he learned to speak normally by observing others. He graduated from Princeton University in 1954 and worked as a journalist for Time magazine. He m
More about John Gregory Dunne...
True Confessions Monster: Living Off the Big Screen The Studio Dutch Shea, Jr. Regards: The Selected Nonfiction