Start by marking “Wizzil” as Want to Read:
Wizzil

Wizzil

An exciting collaboration

Wizzil, a witch, is bored stiff. So, with some coaxing from Beatrice, her parrot, she turns herself into a common housefly and heads over to Frimp farm to stir up trouble. Little does she know, DeWitt Frimp absolutely hates all breeds of fly, especially Musca domestica, and Wizzil narrowly escapes a life-threatening swatting. Wasting no time at all
Published August 23rd 2000 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Wizzil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizzil

Theo Rogers
Aug 02, 2014 Theo Rogers rated it did not like it
My first impulse is to say that the trouble with Wizzil is that it was written by someone who didn't understand what a story was. The trouble for me is that Wizzil was written by William Steig: an otherwise enormously talented children's author. So all I can say is that we all bomb occasionally, and in my personal opinion Steig's gift has deserted him here.

The fundamental problem with Wizzil is that all the major events in the story unfold in deus ex machina ("God in the machine") kind of way. T
Matthew Hunter
Feb 15, 2014 Matthew Hunter rated it it was ok
I know, I know. Quentin Blake's considered a top-notch illustrator, proven by his being chosen to illustrate Roald Dahl's books. But I prefer when Stieg creates his own illustrations. His heart shines through more brightly when he doesn't outsource the visuals.

Stieg has a thing for oft-marginalized people and other beings. The elderly, witches, house flies, donkeys, the aesthetically unpleasing, the filthy, the rankly pungent - they play major sympathetic roles in Stieg's work. In this one, Wizz
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jan 04, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wizzil the witch is bored and easily influenced by her devious parrot. The parrot convinces Wizzil to wreak havoc on the Frimp Farm. Wizzil transforms into a fly and a work glove and drives DeWitt Frimp crazy. She shakes the house, makes Fred and Florence Frimp itch, and makes the meatballs explode at dinner. Eventually, DeWitt has had enough and he throws the work glove into the river...what happens to Wizzil after that is both surprising and shocking.

Blake's illustrations add to the tone of St
Dolly
Dec 30, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our oldest decided to read this one to us aloud last night. She didn't get more than a few pages in and I was out like a light. So I had to read it by myself this morning.

It was a fun, fast read and the ending was typical for William Steig. I loved the collaboration with Quentin Blake - his inimitable illustrations complement the story nicely.

Overall, it was an entertaining story that we all liked and the fact that I fell asleep in the middle of it had nothing to do with the story - just my ex
Josiah
May 09, 2010 Josiah rated it did not like it
Maybe my viewpoint was partly influenced by the fact that the illustrations in this book were done by Quentin Blake, but the story reminded me much more of a Roald Dahl book than a typical William Steig offering.

Wizzil is the story of a mischievous (and sometimes malevolent) witch who engages in an odd revenge scheme to get even with the man that almost unwittingly killed her when she had morphed into the form of a housefly. Wizzil's plan takes an unexpected twist, though, and both she and the
Sue Berg
Dec 20, 2014 Sue Berg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ah -- even before i saw the hardback picture book, i listened to the audiotape of the story that I got from the library. when the picture book arrived and i picked that up from the library -- o fell in love with the illustrations and had already enjoyed the narrated version very much. I found it hard to believe other reviews did not like this book. **sigh** I know, I know. It is all a matter of taste and maybe even the mood you're in the day you pick up this wonderful book ... ENJOY IT! Both in ...more
Sue Berg
Dec 20, 2014 Sue Berg rated it it was amazing
Elaine
Feb 09, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Mark
May 12, 2014 Mark rated it it was ok
I like the Shrek books, so I was excited to see this at a library sale.
I read through the book and was extremely disappointed by the ending. It was pretty weak throughout but the last 4 pages made me annoyed and frustrated.

I will not be reading this book to my kids and will probably be donating it shortly.
Ilana Waters
Dec 02, 2012 Ilana Waters rated it it was amazing
When you first see Quentin Blake's illustrations, it's easy to mistake this for a Roald Dahl book. And there is plenty of black humor and comeuppance that fool you into thinking Dahl wrote it. But soon you'll see Steig's signature tenderness and focus on the powers of love at the end. A winner all around!
Erika
Aug 04, 2011 Erika rated it liked it
I am not really sure why but I love Quentin Blake's illustrations. They are a bit frightening and, even, unnerving but I find myself drawn to them. Perhaps it is because he did the illustrations for Roald Dahl's books.

This story was just okay but I did love the illustrations.
Hamster
If it's illustrated by Blake, I give it a try.
This story was better than Blake's own, but not nearly up to the level of Mr. Dahl. I just have to give it up. Roald is dead and Quentin is no substitute.
Lola
Jan 08, 2014 Lola rated it it was amazing
Hahahaah this is so wacky and cute!
Angie
Aug 20, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Classic Quentin Blake - messy drawings combined with the clever wit of William Stieg (of Dr. DeSoto) makes for a delightfully wicked read. I love the gnarly hands of Wizzil the witch! A new classic.
Aug 15, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it
Ok...since when are witches dictated to by evil parrots? This book was a bit weird.
Carla Lake
May 19, 2016 Carla Lake rated it really liked it
This is the story of Wizzil, a witch. Upon trying to frazzle a victim, Wizzil discovers her true self and her life takes a tremendous change!!
Alec Longstreth
Feb 04, 2016 Alec Longstreth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Holy moley! A team up of two of my favorite picture book artists. Classic William Steig story, with classic Quentin Blake illustrations? I'm in!
Robin
Apr 02, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok
I expected a better story from William Steig, and Wizzil looks an awful lot like Mrs. Twit. Disappointing.
Erica Hendrickson
Quirky story about a bored, lonely witch.
Catherine Johnson
Nov 18, 2014 Catherine Johnson rated it it was amazing
William Steig and Quentin Blake in one book wow no wonder it is awesome!
Lillian
Aug 06, 2008 Lillian rated it really liked it
i thought the pictures were really really really really funny.
Jen
Feb 02, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Mr. Steig and Mr. Blake - how could you go wrong?! Humorous, creative and quirky are all packaged in this book.
Brittney
Feb 28, 2013 Brittney rated it it was ok
Modern fantasy book about a "pesky" witch
Emily
Mar 04, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Props for Quentin Blake and for Steig's continued command of language.
This book is fun, but it's a little too quick and random for me compared to his better stuff.
Kate Samworth
Kate Samworth rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2012
Mrs. M.
Mrs. M. rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
May 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...