Start by marking “The American Revolution” as Want to Read:
The American Revolution

The American Revolution

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From Lexington to Yorktown, this book covers the story of America's fight for independence in vivid detail. Lancaster brings the dilemmas faced by early Americans into sharp focus.
Paperback
Published 1985 by Mariner Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Revolution

Dan
This was a good book for a breif overview of the Revolutionary War, with enough detail to keep interest but not so much as to weigh down the reader. While it does not meet todays standards to be considered a scholarly work, nuch of the work is supported by my limited reading of scholarly works on the subject.
My favorite quote comes near the end of the book where the author puts forth "... freedom, however won, is never static, must always be fought for."
Ron
Concise, narrative summary of the American War of Independence almost exclusively focused on the combat.

A good read.
Steven Peterson
This is a solid history of the American Revolution, written by Bruce Lancaster. The narrative begins with the background to Revolution. And, step by step, battle by battles, event by event, takes us through the time period. From the first conflicts to "The world turned upside down" at Yorktown, the literate history unfolds.

An example of the detail here. Chapter XII, focusing on Yorktown, begins with the French General Rochambeau's appearance in Rhode Island--with no one there to greet him on thi
Natalie
As someone who was never officially taught the history of the American revolution as a teenager, I told myself I would read it up on my own. After my visit to Boston, the revolutionary cradle of America, I was fascinated by the ideals and the courage that the American people held onto in their fight for freedom.

I have to say that this book does an amazing job of articulating the important battles in the revolution. Though I have to admit I skimmed through a lot of them towards the end because t
Meg
Given that I am not much of a history buff, I was impressed that this book threw so many names, dates, and places my way, and yet I wasn't bored or overwhelmed. Bruce Lancaster did a nice job of covering the important aspects of the Revolutionary War without getting mired in too many details. His character descriptions of the key actors in the war brought them to life, and I liked how the leaders of the war felt like real people, rather than mere names on a page.
Richard
Very readable and comprehensive account of the 7 years of revolutionary war (that's right, that's how long it lasted!). A good supplement to the famous episode histories like "1776" and "Washington's Crossing".
Chris
This is easily one of my favorite books, if not my favorite! An amazing story that Bruce Lancaster tells beautifully.
David
I've read this before, but i must read it again to remeber more.
Gavin
Gavin added it
Aug 14, 2015
Alexis Macias
Alexis Macias marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Ridge Briel
Ridge Briel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Conor Lynch
Conor Lynch is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
Jtsuruoka
Jtsuruoka marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Steve Bowman
Steve Bowman marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Lena Donan
Lena Donan marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Glorybeafarm
Glorybeafarm marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Catherine Graham
Catherine Graham marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Liberty! The American Revolution
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope
  • A People's History of the American Revolution: How Common People Shaped the Fight for Independence
  • Decisive Day: The Battle for Bunker Hill
  • The Commissar Vanishes
  • Presidential Anecdotes
  • Hannibal (Military Library)
  • Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories
  • The Oxford History of the American People
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Fields of Battle: The Wars for North America
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
  • The Road to Disunion: Volume I: Secessionists at Bay, 1776-1854
  • The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
Bruce Lancaster was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on August 22, 1896. He served in the U.S. Army along the Mexican border in 1916 and later in France. After the war he returned to school and received a B.A. from Harvard in 1918. He worked in administration and sales for nine years, after which he served in the U.S. Foreign Service as Vice-Consul to Kobe, Japan (1928-1932). Following his return ...more
More about Bruce Lancaster...
The Secret Road American Heritage History of the American Revolution Guns of Burgoyne Blind Journey Phantom Fortress