Start by marking “Reflections: Life After the White House” as Want to Read:
Reflections: Life After the White House

Reflections: Life After the White House

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The author traces the eight years between the presidencies of her husband and son, discussing her charity work, relationships with her children and grandchildren, and her family's reactions to September 11 and its aftermath.
Published October 20th 2003 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Reflections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reflections

Becky
Barbara Bush sounds like a sweet lady, but just wasn't too into reading this book. I really wanted to though. I think I got disinterested because half of the people they were visiting/coming to visit (ok I'm sure more like 75 percent of these people) I had no clue who they were talking about. Sure I could have looked them up, but then I would have spent more time on reading about her visitors, than the book itself. Writing is not terrible, but just didn't interest me as much as I wanted it to.
Jen
I really enjoyed this book. I think I picked it up at a library book sale a couple of years ago, and finally started reading it. Once I started, it was a quick and enjoyable read. It covers Barabara Bush's life between George H.W. Bush leaving office and George W. Bush taking the office. She candidly admits to being biased when it comes to her family, and how blessed she is, but she's also warm-hearted, entertaining, and could be anyone's grandmother. She (obviously) loves literacy and reading, ...more
Elizabeth
I enjoyed reading about what life is like after the presidency, you think after having the stress of running the country you would want to slow down and relax but this was not the case for the Bushes. This book shows the love and support that she has for her family and that she would be there for anything. I also enjoyed reading about all of the work she did with her Literacy programs, I did not realize that she focused on the whole family and not just the child and helped parents get their GED' ...more
Marita
This book together with Mary Slawson's March enrichement mtg. on journals inspired me to start a book diary of my own. This goodread site might evolve into my new one?? Anyway, I was very impressed that Mrs. Bush mentioned books she was reading when she reflected on her life. This struct a cord with me since I do spend a lot of my time reading. What I love about goodreads is that I can put books into selves- I now have a quick way of seeing where I've been mentally so now I can control better wh ...more
Kellie
My favorite Barbara Bush quote..."AT the end of your life you will never regret not having passed one more test, not wining one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.
This book was enjoyable. I wish it could have had a little less "we went here and we went there" and a little more "I think"
I am happy to have read this though.
Lori
Nov 30, 2011 Lori marked it as to-read
Picked this up at the Bush Presidential library this past weekend where I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her early life & excerpts from her diary and letters which made me want to read more. I've been a fan of hers since she told her husband's handlers she would do anything they wanted except loose weight or die her hair. Who can't love a woman like that?!

This has become my "between books" book.
Dave
Intriging. Barbara Bush is warm, down to earth, witty and a good writer. The book follows the Bush's busy life after the White House years from trying to cook dinners without the aid of kitchen help for the first time in 12 years to traveling around the world to meet old friends to hosting family gatherings at the Kennebunkport compound. Very interesting. Very open.
Dawn
I really liked Barbara Bush's tales of the White House years, and I was pleasantly surprised that she even managed to work in some favorite family recipes into her book. She brings a unique perspective to GHWB's presidency, and speaks honestly of how it feels to be the mother of a president as well. Great if you're a fan of the family; otherwise, not recommended.
Kristin
Read like my grandmother's notes, with the addition of famous people that is.
Megowen
Apr 23, 2011 Megowen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Intelligent readers with a sense of family and humor.
Reading this books was like having lunch with a dear friend. Recipes, books read, where we went on our summer vacation, and all year round. Sharing grief, worry, and fun. Mrs. Bush is a real person, no airs, no false front. And she has a marvelous sense of humor. What you see/read is what you get. I enjoyed this book immensely.
Bev
I like to read a woman's perspective of the political world. Barbara Bush is so interesting. I admire her as a person totally secure in who she is, white hair and all! It's fun to read about their close, extended family. And she gives LOTS of suggestions of books to read.
Tracy
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. President Bush and Barbara led such busy, interesting lives after leaving the White House. It was inspiring. As an added bonus, Barbara shares the books she was reading during these years.
Britton
At first I thought it was kind of cute, and this made the Bush family kind of endearing. But she trivialized everything, and I was disappointed with how petty she was towards political rivals.
Rae
In spite of the fact that Barbara Bush is a big-time name-dropper, I enjoyed this look into her family. I especially liked knowing what she was reading!
Sue
What a wonderful book talking about the Bush family, but mostly how it is seen through Barbara Bush's eyes.

I wished the book hadn't ended.
Naomi
This book was ok..not my favorite book by Barbara Bush. I thought is was kind of boring compared to her other books that I have read.
Barbara
I've learned what a gracious, busy, and literature-loving person Barbara Bush is and I identify with her warm mother-heart.
Lisa
What a down to earth woman with a not so down to earth lifestyle.
Tami Greaney
Loved this too - it makes me wish that she'd write more
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 01, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
biased, we like a lot of the same authors
Helen
very interesting, still very active.
Tahlia
Classy lady!
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Jamie Ruppert
Jamie Ruppert marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Marsha Craner
Marsha Craner marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • John Glenn: A Memoir
  • The Reagan I Knew
  • Bogart: In Search of My Father
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • The Gold of Exodus

Barbara Pierce Bush is the wife of the 41st President of the United States, George H. W. Bush, making her First Lady of the United States from 1989 to 1993. Preceding that, she was the Second Lady of the United States from 1981 to 1989 while her husband was Vice President to Ronald Reagan. She is the mother of U
More about Barbara Bush...
Barbara Bush: A Memoir Millie's Book Barbara Bush: A Memoir Vol.1 First Mom: The Wit and Wisdom of Barbara Bush The Morehouse Mystique: Becoming a Doctor at the Nation's Newest African American Medical School

“At the end of your life you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.” 23 likes
“AT the end of your life you will never regret not having passed one more test, not wining one more verdict, or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child or a parent.” 2 likes