Start by marking “The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  22,058 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
For more than twenty years, Barefoot Contessa, the acclaimed specialty food store, has been cooking and baking extraordinary dishes for enthusiastic customers in the Hamptons. For many of those years, people have tried to get the exuberant owner, Ina Garten, to share the secrets of her store. Finally, the energy and style that make Barefoot Contessa such a special place ar ...more
Published January 5th 2012 by Bantam Press (first published April 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

Jean
Jan 19, 2009 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a simple well-tested cookbook. Preparations had the right amount of details and shortcuts where appropriate. Ina knows how to take care of her home cooks.

Here are the dishes I've tasted and the cookbook club cooks who made them:

Sheela - Lobster Salad in Endive: You can't go wrong with quality lobster. No leftovers with this one.

Molly - Rosemary White Bean Soup: Pureed and delicous. Really an amazing soup and surprisingly right for a summer's evening.

Gretchen - Grilled Tuna Nicoise Platte
Holly
Jun 28, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The recipes in this book turn out perfectly EVERY time and I've made over half of them. Buy it.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
During a particularly challenging time in my life, I found and fell in love with Ina. Many of her recipes are staples in my cooking repertoire, and I have yet to find a Barefoot Contessa cookbook that I don't thoroughly enjoy. Great for ANY kitchen and cook!!!
Allison
Aug 06, 2007 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Ina Garten's cookbooks do everything you need. If I didn't have any technique in the kitchen and had to pick a cookbook to last forever (or in this case, a series) it would be hers. Rich, lovely recipes that are very approachable. Beginners can follow along; experts can take some of her suggestions and run with them. I almost always get rave reviews for anything I make from these books and I have made or eaten a large portion of them. It is very hard to find cookbooks that can provide you recipe ...more
Holly
Jul 14, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, cookbook
Listen, the woman knows her way around the kitchen and she's not afraid of a stick of butter, which I like in a chef.

Paula Deen doesn't skimp on the butter either, but usually whatever she is cooking ends up getting deep fried and then used as a delivery system for some kind of mayonnaise product too -- and I just can't hang with that.

Whereas Ina will definitely butter you up, she at least has the common decency throw on some fresh herbs and add some roasted vegetables so even your cholesterol
Anna
Oct 03, 2007 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cook 3 meals a day for my family, and I love the Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks. She's got great advice on preparing things ahead of time, how to cook for a larger group, and putting together a complete meal. Her recipes are best for people who are already pretty comfortable in the kitchen, and the baking is less reliable than the savory foods, but every one of her cookbooks is worth having.

Adriana Giannino
Aug 18, 2015 Adriana Giannino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks
Recommended to Adriana by: librarian
Ina Garten is such a good cook. Too much sugar, too much butter, too much oil (too much Jeffrey), but it all tastes good and is good, solid fare. Decrease the sugar and fat and you end up with a reliably good recipe always.
May 12, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
This is by far my favorite cookbook. The pages are stuck together I use it so much. Curried coucous? Yes, please!
Kym
Jan 11, 2017 Kym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Here's why I like Ina Garten's recipes. They are simple but use the highest quality ingredients she can find. Here's what's happened to cooks in America. They are simply assembling the cheapest "edible" ingredients. I know. Not everyone. I love the Garten is clear about exactly which ingredients make her dishes so good. There is nothing overly fussing here.

This cookbook was published in 1999. That may make it seem dated, but it also gives a lovely familiarity to the recipes. They are accompanie
Hazel
May 01, 2012 Hazel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had plans to see Ina Garten speak in Wilmington but had none of her books! I requested and received this for Christmas. It's a lovely cookbook; the recipes are all enticing, simple, and straightforward. Most of all, her personality shines through--she's gracious and down to earth. In all of her recipes, she is very aware of her audience--the home cook and entertainer, not the chef or caterer. I was pleased to see how her philosophy echoes mine--the first time you try a recipe, you follow it EX ...more
Dee
Dec 27, 2008 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I just got this lovely book for Christmas. It does not have a million recipes like some other cookbooks. But what it does have is a nice collection of classics and favorites, most with excellent illustrations, organized by food type (i.e. main dish, dessert, appetizer). I am not talented in the "food presentation" area (After all, I created the "Paul Potts Pork Roast"), but Ina makes some simple and easy suggestions on making your food look good without sacrificing anything in taste. This would ...more
Melani
Oct 22, 2015 Melani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This one is a great one. The cheddar corn chowder is A+++ delicious and I make it quite often. I have opened this book many times, sometimes just to look at the pictures and sometimes because I actually want to cook something from it. It's a well loved, and well used book in my collection.

My one complaint about this book is the amount of food the recipes make. I frequently halve them and have more then enough for four people, and since it's just me I always have a ton of leftovers. I think the a
Bandkh
Mar 06, 2012 Bandkh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Everything I've made from it has worked. The dishes are accessible if a bit old fashioned, but don't let the "old fashioned" comment put you off. By "old fashioned" I mean comfort food, probably too high in calories to eat every night but delicious none the less. This lady knows her stuff and her recipe writing style is friendly and chatty. As for the recipes themselves, her Cheddar Corn Chowder has warmed us on many a cold night, her Roasted Brussels Sprouts finally convinced ...more
Sarah Clapp
Aug 04, 2016 Sarah Clapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok yes i'm counting this in my reading! i'm behind in my reading challenge and i technically read this thing cover to cover!
i learned so much--how to make a tasteful vegetable plate, how Sunday lunch is a wonderful opportunity to entertain, how using both oil and butter to cook is the way to go. thank you ina, you culinary goddess who keeps reminding readers that they can get speciality items by "mail order" in her pre-Internet world and had the confidence to name drop Steven Spielberg and Laure
Valerie
Jan 05, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
This is my favorite of all the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. Favorite recipes that I've come back to repeatedly are the kitchen clambake (layers of sautéed leeks, potatoes, kielbasa and various seafood cooked indoors in a pot) and fresh lemonade (1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/2 - 3/4 cup superfine sugar {to taste}, 1 cup crushed ice and 4 cups water - combine all in a blender).

I love the simplicity of her recipes and the lack of fussiness. I get most of my cookbooks from the library,
Nicole
Aug 21, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first got this cookbook I took it to bed and drooled over the recipes. When I started actually making ina garten recipes, people were tricked into thinking i was a really fabulous cook. So...if she can do it for me, she can transform fresh, healthy (well, except for the butter) whole foods, vegetables and fruits into amazing food. Friends and family are always clammoring for the recipes after trying creations I make out of this book...and i do give the credit all to the barefoot contessa.
Julie H.
Jun 09, 2012 Julie H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook-cooking
As with all of the Ina Garten recipes I've encountered to date, which is quite a few, these are all very straightforward, emphasize fresh foods, and are extremely yummy. After signing this out from my public library, I promptly tabbed a bunch of pages and made six or seven of the recipes. Each was great, and I decided it was officially a "keeper." That is not to say that I wouldn't be returning the library copy; instead, I purchased my own copy just recently.
Julie
Jul 09, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this cookbook and often flip through it just for ideas and the pictures. The Fresh Corn Salad, Parmesan Croutons, Pan-Fried Onion Dip, Sun-Dried Tomato Dip, Lemondade and Outrageous Brownies were incredible. There are also several other recipes on my "to try" list. I just really like Ina and her party attitude. I love to entertain and having the food done before people arrive.
Sharon Huether
Jul 15, 2012 Sharon Huether rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook By Ina Garten This is a beautifully illustrated cookbook. The colored pictures have really helped my in food presentation. I continue to make the home made granola receipe, it's very good. I've watched Ina on the cooking channel, so having her cookbook is fun.
Melissa
Nov 04, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute go-to, from the day I started cooking in earnest up until now, when I barely have to look at recipes to make a really cool meal. Ina Garten has taught me so much about cooking, picking the right ingredients, and putting together a visually stunning home-cooked meal and table. The grilled lemon chicken salad in this book - yum - I think I could eat once a week and never get tired of it!
Kristen
Nov 26, 2007 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Barefoot Contessa (Have you ever seen her TV show? She's reminds me of the guy who used to paint on PBS - very mellow and soothing). I'm not the cook (rather the baker) in our house, but I love this cookbook. Her recipes are homey, easy and delicious. Surprise, I love the bread pudding make with croissants. Hoping for another of her cookbooks this Christmas!
Lisa
Jan 17, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
My go to guacamole recipe and summer tomato soup recipe (roasted tomato basil soup - the reason that I have a kitchen garden!!) come from this book. They are absolutely delicious and these two recipes alone are worth the price of this book. You know when you have a recipe so good that you don't even bother ever looking for another? Well that's how it is with these two.
Rachel C.
Another great cookbook for hearty, satisfying food. Lots of glossy photos of the dishes, which I appreciate. The instructions are straightforward but Ina manages to imbue them with a considerable amount of her joyful personality. Medium degree of difficulty on the recipes. A pleasure to read and to cook from.
Angie
Oct 22, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to cook or read about food
The Ina Garten cookbooks feature prominently in the food I make. Almost invariably, her recipes turn out well, are relatively simple, and people seem to like them. The pizza dough from the Barefood Contessa Parties cookbook has become a favorite of my friends and family. The best pizza dough I've ever made. It's basically fool-proof.
Melissa
Feb 28, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I love her recipe books for the simple fruit and veggie recipes and the delicious desserts. I feel like her main dish recipes are not always my taste. I am really picky with what I think a cookbook should look like. I think she got it right. Each recipe has a picture, big fonts, simple and not too much on the page to distract my eyes. She gives great tips and explanations.
Abby Welker
Sep 16, 2008 Abby Welker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ina Garten and all of her books and this one is amazing, as can be expected. The only thing I don't like about it is that there are only a few recipes that I'd actually use on a regular basis. You could easily check this out from a library, copy down the few recipes you like and save some money.
laurie
One of my all time fav cookbooks!

It is an adventure cooking from this book- forced me out of my comfort zone.
Make me grateful for taking the 'risk.'

The two pages for the chocolate cake and homemade icing are worth the work and one of the best tasting cakes I've ever made!
Annette
Sep 21, 2007 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
She's not terribly witty or entertaining. But she's got some fabulous recipes in here. I'm not a fan of her show - that voice can put me immediately to sleep. But when I'm searching to put together a great meal for a dinner party, I'm always drawn to her cookbooks.
Gail
Feb 21, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gift I received. Very good photography. Ina Garten shows that one does not need to be classically trained to make exciting, appealing gourmet meals. Gourmet does not mean difficult. Very good book.
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • The Foster's Market Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Morning, Noon, and Night
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary
More about Ina Garten...