Start by marking “America: A Narrative History” as Want to Read:
America: A Narrative History

America: A Narrative History

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This survey covers America's history from pre-Columbian civilizations to the Civil War Reconstruction. Includes major events & figures; the social effects of major conflicts; immigration statistics; more. Brief third edition. Appendices. B&W illus.
Paperback, Brief Fourth Edition, 2 pages
Published August 1st 1997 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Mike Hankins
This is a fairly basic undergrad textbook on American History. I focused on volume 1, so I'm not sure about the second half. But it was not great but not bad. It gives a solid overview of major events in a very easy-to-read narrative fashion. It's perfect for someone who wants to quickly gloss through major events of American history. the problem with this, of course, is that it doesn't (and can't) devote time to really exploring certain things or discussing alternate views historians may have. ...more
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
First off, let me clear something up: I AM A HISTORY BUFF. I ADORE HISTORY. I have been known to read history textbooks FOR FUN. So when I say I hated this... it's not just cuz it's a) history or b) a textbook.

It's because it was a HORRIBLY written, unclear, confusing, History Textbook, riddled with historical mistakes and oversights. This is basic history. My time period. It goes up to Lincoln's assassination. I have been studying the 1700's-1900's my entire life. That's my favorite time perio
Sylvia McIvers
This book covers American history from the aftermath of the Civil War until the 2000 presidential elections, which is about as close to ‘the present time’ as a history book can reach. (Volume 2 does not start with page 1, but picks up where Vol. 1 left off.)

I did not go forth and choose to read this book, as I did with other history overviews and biographies. Instead, I found it on the desk in the tutoring room, where someone else must have used it and abandoned it. I had no intention of reading
Casey
The entire One-Volume is online as a PDF that pops up once one searches "Tindall America ninth" (link: http://noramovins.com/turna/039391262...).

The textbook is filled with the usual egalitarian, feminist twist on everything. But I gained a lot from it (and am decidedly anti-American--it's official), in terms of it allowing me to extend my principles into new territory. America truly was an "experiment" of, ultimately, democratic imperialism, and the first nation to ever found itself on ideolog
Chibineko
As someone who likes history but hates studying it, this textbook was a gem. It is very brief and to the point, but it's the little things that really make this textbook shine.

The first great bit that I loved was the free website that they offer with the book. Most other companies charge for this, so this was like having a little extra help for free. The next part that I liked was that there were plenty of little questions peppered throughout the book (usually under one of the many pictures) th
Jeffrey Warner
I use this as my AP US History textbook. It is highly readable and does a fairly good job overall of laying a foundation for primary source engagement, more detailed supplementary material and further in-depth instruction. It is the only textbook I've read cover to cover and not felt it to be consistently more of a chore than a pleasure. The timelines at the beginning of chapters are great overview tools but as a teaching text there aren't any "review sets" and terms to just simply assign. Solid ...more
Emtee
A complete history of America, from the earliest migrations to the continent, through the Vikings, and everything from the 1400's through the Clinton presidency. Well written and flowing, it reads like a good novel full of history rather than a list of dates, names, and places.

Additionally, at the end of every chapter, there's a Further Reading section with references to books that cover subjects of that chapter in further detail.
Rich
A thorough and comprehensive overview of American History from Pre-Colonial through the last presidential election. The free online tests and gradebook were also helpful in using this as a homeschool text. Unlike many texts, it didn't ignore our spiritual heritage and wasn't as liberal in its bias as most. In fact, the authors seemed to be equally cynical about the left and the right!
My husband had to read this book for his history classes. I read it for my own edification. It just seemed biased and abbreivated from other history books I've read. It was interesting to read a history book for no educational purpose. It was a good introduction to dig deeper into other topics for other points of view.
Fredrick Danysh
This is volume two of a revisionist history of America. He attempts political correctness over actual facts. While forced to use this as a text for a college history class I found many glaring errors and twisting of facts. However, some of the history portrayed is factual.
Heather
It's a textbook so it's definitely not something you pick up for fun. However, I liked the format and it wasn't completely dull. It gives a good overview of American history so if you are looking for something like that, then this is the book for you.
Jessica
Jan 07, 2010 Jessica is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing source for learning about our counrty's history. Although it is indeed dificult to memorize all i need to know from this book for my AP exams, it is a thrill to read this informational work of literature
Danny
This book on the history of the United States is an indepth look at the very start to just after the civil war. Enjoyed the authors ability to bring you into the history.
LauraJean
It was OK for a textbook and easy to read, but he skimmed over a lot, and he had an awkward way of integrating unrelated or unimportant quotes into the text.
Yana
A different take on American history; truly a narrative history of America. I'm enjoying this book! Too bad I only own volume 1 :)
sologdin
weirdly, I had this assigned in both high school history and university political science. gah.
Terrie
Wonderful capture of our country. Loved studying in the class particularly due to this book!
Mike Anderson
Volume 1. Thorough telling of American history through reconstruction.
Anette
Aug 28, 2012 Anette is currently reading it
Among textbooks, its a gem. But fun reading it is not.
Wisteria Leigh
American history,narrative,UNH,
Gary
good reference, boring, lacks sources
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
  • Hitler and Nazi Germany: A History
  • The Romantic Revolution
  • The Human Story: Our History, from the Stone Age to Today
  • Western Civilization: Ideas, Politics, and Society
  • In Bluebeard's Castle: Some Notes Towards the Redefinition of Culture
  • What Ever Happened to Modernism?
  • After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection
  • Classical Mythology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • Pleasure Bound: Victorian Sex Rebels and the New Eroticism
  • Victorian People and Ideas
  • The Uses and Abuses of History
  • A Medieval Life: Cecilia Penifader of Brigstock, c. 1295-1344
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • A Philosophy of Evil
  • Literature and Evil
  • The Making of England to 1399
  • Revelations of the Medieval World (A History of Private Life, #2)
America: A Narrative History, Volume 1 America: A Narrative History, Volume 2 The Emergence of the New South, 1913-1945 America: A Narrative History, Brief Edition America: A Narrative History (Brief Ninth Edition) (Vol. One-Volume)