Start by marking “A Theater of Our Own: A History and a Memoir of 1,001 Nights in Chicago” as Want to Read:
A Theater of Our Own: A History and a Memoir of 1,001 Nights in Chicago

A Theater of Our Own: A History and a Memoir of 1,001 Nights in Chicago

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Winner of the Illinois State Historical Society Book Award for Superior Achievement

Who produced the first stage adaptation of "The Wizard of Oz" in 1902-nearly forty years before the movie classic? What entertainment juggernaut began in a converted Chinese laundry on Wells Street in 1959? Where did Louis (Studs) Terkel make his stage debut? When did the original productio
Published November 15th 2004 by Northwestern University Press

To ask other readers questions about A Theater of Our Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Theater of Our Own

John
Oct 14, 2013 John rated it really liked it
This is a brief history of Chicago theater, written by a guy who was there for a lot of it. I liked this book more than it deserved to be liked, because it took me back to the heady days of the 70s and 80s, when I was young and Chicago theater was exploding on to the scene. Christiansen devotes full chapters to Second City, the Organic, St Nicholas, the Remains, and of course Steppenwolf, because how could you not? He fully admits that when his memory clashes with the "truth," he sticks to his m ...more
Brigitte
Sep 19, 2008 Brigitte rated it it was amazing
If you are a Chicago theatre artist, this will make you fall in love with the history of this great town. It made me so proud to be a part of this town's theatre community.
Jan 20, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Scrappy artists making theatre in Chicago - Christiansen gives a comprehensive history (with some great quotes.)
Starr Hardgrove
Nov 09, 2013 Starr Hardgrove rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this great account of the theatre scene in Chicago. Having left the scene after a year of living and trying to break in, it was a refreshing tale to be connected to this work. I enjoyed the history that not only embraced the challenges that each theatre faced, but gave a perspective of each company and stayed true to the spirit of Chicago theatre with it's stories and anecdotes.
My favorite parts of the book were hearing the stories of St. Nicholas Theatre, Bob Sickenger an
Joe
Aug 24, 2013 Joe rated it it was ok
Mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's a concise, easy-reading history of Chicago theater. On the other hand, it mostly amounts to a list of productions Christiansen found memorable plus some historical context and some fun anecdotes -- despite its authoritative authorial voice, it's more memoir than history. It's a very white history at that. It sparked my interest but left me wanting much, much more.
Selena
Jan 06, 2014 Selena rated it it was ok
Very good, very detailed. Extremely detailed --- almost list-like in its telling. I wish I had this book in college as it would've been a great resource in my history if American theatre courses.
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Eli
Eli rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Denise Elston
Denise Elston is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Arfnotz
Arfnotz marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Brittany Price
Brittany Price marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Kelley
Kelley rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Tanya L
Tanya L marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Christopher Schroeder
Christopher Schroeder rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Lucinda Allen
Lucinda Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Nicole O'connell
Nicole O'connell rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Carl Lehnen
Carl Lehnen rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Owen Youngman
Owen Youngman rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Evans Donnell
Evans Donnell rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
Stage Ninja
Stage Ninja rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Topher Kielbasa
Topher Kielbasa marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Zach Zulauf
Zach Zulauf rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
SkipO
SkipO rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2013
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jun 02, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Amanda
Amanda added it
Apr 01, 2013
Trish Collins
Trish Collins rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013