Start by marking “The Road To Mc Carthy” as Want to Read:
The Road To Mc Carthy

The Road To Mc Carthy

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  54 reviews

Pete McCarthy established one cardinal rule of travel in hisbestselling debut, McCarthy's Bar: "Never pass a bar withyour name on it." In this equally wry and insightful follow-up,his characteristic good humor, curiosity, and thirst for adventuretake him on a fantastic jaunt around the world in search of hisIrish roots -- from Morocco, where he tracks down the unlikelychie

Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Road To Mc Carthy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road To Mc Carthy

Ryan
I savored this because there isn't another one.

McCarthy is back on the road, searching for his Irishness or Ireland, or just a great pub. I love his travel methodology and wish I could be as relaxed in my approach to life. He followed the Irish diaspora to Van Dieman's Land, Montana, Monserratt, and even ventured to Alaska. I love most his enjoyment of the unexpected. He heads out to see or do one thing, but the real delight of the journey is all the stuff that he wasn't expecting.

This tale is
Alan Michael Wilt
This review applies to both of the late Pete McCarthy's books, McCarthy's Bar and The Road to McCarthy.

“If you travel in hope rather than with certain knowledge,” writes Pete McCarthy, “something interesting usually happens.” On the evidence of his first two books, McCarthy is an infinitely hopeful traveler; wherever he goes -- a pub in a small Irish town, an Irish bar in a big American city, or a sparsely populated Alaskan burg that bears his name -- something interesting indeed happens. And Mc
Sorenconard
This book has all my favorite qualitites. Travel, humor, reflection, and completely random facts. Pete's time as a travel memoir writer was short but his legacy is lasting.

I gave this 5 stars becuase I found this book even better then his first one. I recommend it to people who enjoyed McCarthy's Bar or enjoys humorus memiors along the lines of Bill Bryson and A.J Jacobs, have in interest in irish or cultural history, enjoy humorus books, among other qualities.

If you are looking for a book that
Neil
I rarely give five stars. I'd have given this six.
This is beyond doubt one of the funniest travel books I've ever read, but it's also packed with glorious trivia, and the guy has that rare gift of being able to have you laughing out loud with a sentence, and gulping with emotion the next.
I now really NEED to visit Tasmania and Montserrat, with a possible side-trip to Tangier, before the bucket-list is complete. GREAT book!

p.s. I just found out that Pete died eight years ago, and way too young. P
zespri
Did you know that the island of Montserrat is the only country in the world apart from Ireland that has a public holiday on St Patrick's day? Neither did I! This and all sorts of other interesting and unusual bits and pieces have found their way into this very amusing book by Pete Mccarthy. The premise of the book is his search for the hereditary Gaelic chief of the McCarthy clan, this takes him to various different countries and into many hilarious adventures. I loved his quirky observational s ...more
Andrew
McCarthy has the luck of the Irish - must be his mother's side - at least when it came to finding interesting people and getting a good story out of them. No doubt his self-effacing attitude and sense of humor help. They certainly shine through in this book as his travels ranges from Ireland to Alaska, Morocco to Tasmania - just about anywhere, in short, that you can find the name McCarthy. It's a dangerous book to read right before a trip (or anytime at all, come to think of it) because it make ...more
Kiera Healy
This was a bit of a disappointment for two reasons: there's no purpose, and it's in desperate need of editing. Pete McCarthy - an author with evident talent and, at times, a great comic gift - travels around the world going to places with...er...vague and unconnected links to Ireland. So he visits his controversial "clan chief" in Tangier, then goes to Tasmania to see a historic prison, then to Montserrat because they stamp passports with a harp...there's no logic or unifying thread to his story ...more
Ian Crook
Having read McCarthy's bar sometime ago and enjoyed it I was looking forward to this. Pete McCarthy writes a wry set of observations on people and places and when his focus was set on the bars of Ireland it worked well. This book however was larger and more sprawling and, I think as a result, lost some focus.

It took quite a while to gain a vague inkling as to what his theme was, that of tracing the spread of the Irish people across the globe. But this was mixed in with the search for the McCarth
Sergio GRANDE films
I enjoyed this book more than I liked it. Much, much more.

Peter McCarthy wrote with a combination of wit and candour few writers can master. If I were to count, I'm sure he averaged one self-deprecating, hilarious, and often poignant, observation per page. Hilarious does not do full justice.

The book deals with Pete McCarthy's travels on a quest to retrace the roots of the McCarthy clan or Ireland's history, or something, I think. I'm not sure. He starts off in Tangier and (I have the suspicion h
Jan
Honestly, when I first started this book, I didn't really like it. I thought the whole entire first section on Morocco was incredibly dull. In fact, I'm fairly certain I would have just tossed this book aside if not for the fact that I was in the middle of a long vacation, had already finished two of the other books I'd brought, and that the other book I had is a bit on the somber side. Hurray for lack of options!

I think the main problem with this book is that the author didn't seem to really kn
Simon
A real loss to British humourous journalism and travel writing. On a par with Bryson in most respects but someone you'd probably enjoy sharing a pint with more than the American. Even though I'd be quite happy to yarn away with the thunderbolt kid. A great loss to us all. This is the better of the two McCarthy books he wrote and it's laugh out loud good. He slips the knife in so neatly on the very deserving if less aware. Don't get this book on Audible though. I'd enjoyed reading it so much I th ...more
Louis
Jul 08, 2007 Louis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travelers, the Irish Diaspora
After reading McCarthy's Bar, I couldn't pick this book up quick enough. Pete McCarthy had kept me entertained in that book, and I expected the great writing to continue into this next work. I was not disappointed. The same charm is evident in this book, though it dips into the darker corners of the history of the Irish in Austrailia. All around, it is a very entertaining book.

In this book, McCarthy begins a journey to seek out the head of the McCarthy clan, who surprisingly lives in Morocco. Fr
Dustin
Quite possibly the second funniest book ever written (the first was his other book of course)
Elizabeth Quinn
Another hilarious outing by the late Pete McCarthy, whose McCarthy's Bar was a great find on our trip to Ireland. In this book, rather than making sure to enter every bar with his name on it in Ireland, McCarthy travels around the globe to visit locations with his name on them, including Tangier, New York City, Tasmania, Montserrat, Montana, and Alaska among others. McCarthy is a very funny writer and a charming travel companion who provides much interesting historical perspective and detail of ...more
This second novel and answer to McCarthy's Bar is not quite as brilliant it is still a highly enjoyable read. If you enjoy sarcastic, honest and insightful travel stories then you will enjoy this book. McCarthy travels all over the globe to various locales and inspires the reader to do the same. Certain sections of the book dragged for me and weren't as resonant but I still enjoyed reading this book. It is tragic that McCarthy passed away before gifting us with more stories of his travels.
Audra
I nearly stopped reading this book several times, which I never do. I persevered only because it was for our book club. There were a million typos. I thought the majority of this book was absolutely pointless. You could skip the entire first half of this book and miss nothing. The second half was mildly better. My take: skip it.
Colleen McCarthy
Funny although not the most hilarious book I've ever read. Since I share last names with the author and know very little about the McCarthy side of the family, it was well worth the read and I would recommend for other McCarthys. Also interesting insight into where all the Irish went after leaving Ireland - including some not so obvious places such as Montana. Some good stories about how England used Australia as a penal colony...
Danielle
Part history, part travel writing memoir. The author travels around to various parts of the world where Irish emigrants have settled. His travels take him to places like Tasmania, Tangiers, New York City, Montana, and Alaska. An interesting book with wry humor. Fans of Bill Bryson's books or 'Round Ireland with a Fridge would enjoy this book. I plan to go back and read McCarthy's first book, McCarthy's Bar.
Nathan
A mildly witty romp through Ireland and global (mis)conceptions of Irish culture. The biggest problem is that McCarthy can't decide whether he wants to write a travelogue or an inquiry into his family history. This had next to no structure, and the jokes wear very thin very quickly. McCarthy ought to have made this an article, not a book.
Jeannette
Definitely not as great as his first book, McCarthy's Bar but it still has his great humor. I almost tend to think that the scope of the journey was a bit too big for one book. I was sad to hear that Pete McCarthy had passed away after his second book came out, he was one of the best travel narrative authors I have come across.
Diane
If you like Bill Bryson, you will like Pete McCarthy.

I don't like Bill Bryson.

I feel bad about not liking this book and not even being able to finish reading it (I got to page 140 so I tried). I really like the person/people who recommended it.
Leah
Pete McCarthy was a hysterical man!! Sadly he passed away a few years ago, but at least we have his books! This book is all about his quest to find his McCarthy ancestors and follow their immigration around the world. Funny, funny!!!
Irish Gal
An interesting and funny retelling of his trips around the world to find eccentric people named McCarthy and places where McCarthys have made history. I enjoy genealogy, history and traveling so this was a treat.
Kerry
Not as great as his first book, but another humorous look into Irish ancestry and it's movement across the world. Would definitely recommend to anyone who has traveled or planning on traveling to New Zealand.
Terry
Oct 20, 2008 Terry rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Armchair travellers and real ones!
Recommended to Terry by: Found it all by myself
Another great read from Pete but not quite up to the impact the impact from his first book, more like several smaller journals lumped together. Didn't hesitate in buying though and totally enjoyed it.
Rachel
Nowhere near as good as 'McCarthy's Bar', I even found some parts of it boring. It did redeem itself somewhat in the last few chapters, though, lifting it from 2 to 3 stars.
Deanna
It's funny, interesting and will teach you a bit about Irish history. I loved the historical tidbits, but then again, my brain lives on random facts & irrelevant rubbish.
Jenny
I like Pete McCarthy's style. Both "McCarthy's Bar" and "The Road to McCarthy" are very amusing. So I was sad to discover that the author died a number of years ago.
James
Nice premise, but I found it a bit disappointing. Learned some stuff I never knew about the Irish and the different spots on the globe they settled, though.
Sue
Learned more about the history of the Irish people and the impact it made on the rest of the world. Pete McCarthy is a story teller in the best sense.
Fortune teller in Montserrat 1 8 Apr 19, 2012 01:37PM
  • Pint-Sized Ireland: In Search of the Perfect Guinness
  • A Pint of Plain: How the Irish Pub Lost Its Magic but Conquered the World
  • Jaywalking with the Irish
  • A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains
  • Round Ireland in Low Gear
  • Secret History of the Ira: Gerry Adams And The Thirty Year War
  • Making Sense of the Troubles: The Story of the Conflict in Northern Ireland
  • The Oxford History of Ireland
  • Paddy's Lament, Ireland 1846-1847: Prelude to Hatred
  • In Search of Ancient Ireland: The Origins of the Irish from Neolithic Times to the Coming of the English
  • Set in Stone
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
  • Bullfighting: Stories
  • Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage (Stones of Aran #1)
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • The Full Montezuma
  • Pagan Celtic Ireland: The Enigma of the Irish Iron Age
  • Sun Dancing: Life in a Medieval Irish Monastery and How Celtic Spirituality Influenced the World
McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery In Ireland The Road to McCarthy McCarthy's Bar, een zoektocht naar de Ierse identiteit Basic Advertising Themes And Their Presentation McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland (Windsor Selection) [Hardcover]

“Mind you, he looks a bit out of it, gazing around in confusion, as if his sax player’s brain has been removed and replaced with a drummer’s.” 0 likes