First, Best and Only

First, Best and Only

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  607 ratings  ·  53 reviews
When she was just seventeen, Marni Lange loved Brian Webster with a consuming passion. Then a tragic accident tore them apart. Brian's broken body mended, but he never forgave himself for the accident that killed Marni's brother. Marni, her world equally shattered, was forced to choose between honoring her powerful, wealthy family . . . and the man she loved.

Now, fourteen...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Mira (first published June 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about First, Best and Only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First, Best and Only

Firedragonll
So far not finished, not impressed. In fact am finding this book annoying on many levels.

Still didn't like it when finished.
Lindsey
This was probably the worst book I have ever read. I usually hate to give a bad book review and try to find at least one positive thing about a book that I like but my hands are tied on this.I can not find one decent thing to say. I am actually a bit disturbed by the flashback to when Marni was 17. For some reason I feel a bit grossed out about the idea of a 26 & 17 year old. I know it happens all the time but I could not dream of dating a 17 year old. I don't know, it just feels wrong on so...more
Jackie Mceachern
I have enjoyed many of Barbra Delinksy's books so I signed out this audiobook from my library and didn't realize that it was a Harlequin Romance type from the 80s. That's not my kind of book at all so I don't really feel it's fair for me to review it. I finished it because I needed something to listen to on my work commute but didn't enjoy it. The characters didn't feel real to me at all.
Gemma
Oct 10, 2011 Gemma marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I found this rather dated. It was written in 1986, so that's to be expected. Still, the whole "I love you, and you love me, but my family doesn't think you're good enough for me so we can't possibly be together," makes me want to gag when it's in contemporary romance. Grow a backbone, girly, and fight for the man you love! This isn't the 1800s when a woman's family owned her.
Jodi
May 16, 2012 Jodi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
I picked this books up because I have read others by Barbara Delinsky and loved them. However, this book was based on a cheesy romance story that skips over a lot of details. Okay read but not the best chick-lit story I've read. The characters needed more depth in my opinion.
Shanna
If it wasn't an audiobook that I listened to while on my walks, I would have abandoned this story in the first few chapters. The story is long, drawn-out, and predictable compared to the other books I have been reading.
Brandy
I didn't like this as much as her other one. It was very predictable. I wish she had told more of what happened with Marni's brother and how that affected them all, especially Wes.
Michelle Galati
Marni cried too much, she was so whinny.
Lorena Reyes
Recommended by librarian. Mushy romance ...
Hope
Not one of Delinsky's best.
Kari Anderson
Marni fell in love the summer when she was 17. Brian Webster AKA Webb was the man of her dreams and her first love. But that love was short lived when Webb and Marni’s brother got into a tragic accident that killed her brother and tore Marni and Webb apart. Marni’s family blamed Webb for the accident and forbade her from seeing him. At the time, she was young, under 18 and couldn’t make her own decisions without losing what family she had left.

Now it’s 14 years later. Marni is a high powered ex...more
Virginia
If you have any self respect at all, you will avoid this book.

This novel is among the most poorly crafted I have ever had the misfortune to read. It was the only free downloadable audio book available at our regional library. If I had any other options, I would have deleted it after fifteen minutes.

The story here is, however, a good one, but was so fraught with impossibilities and utter silliness as to be unbelievable. Marni Lang is the CEO of a large corporation whose business is never identifi...more
Jaclyn
I loved this book. I finished it all in one sitting on a flight from FL to CA b/c it was relatively short, but it was oh so sweet. Marni fell in love with Web back when she was too young to have much control over her own life and Web was "trouble". Now, fourteen years later they are both successful adults, and their paths have finally crossed again. Unfortunately they were torn apart by a tragic accident, so their meeting is bittersweet. The feelings are definitely still there - the good and the...more
Laurel-Rain
At seventeen, Marni Lange fell in love with a very handsome young man during a summer in Maine. The romance was cloaked in secrecy, which added to the pain and guilt she suffered after a tragedy that abruptly ended the relationship.

Fourteen years later, Marni is the CEO of the family corporation, poised to launch a very special magazine. And who should show up as the photographer hired by her publishing division? None other than "Web," now known by his full name of Brian Webster.

What follows is...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
This story was okay, nothing to rave about. I enjoyed it enough, but not as much as I would have like to. Marni Lange was 17 when she fell in love with Brian Webster, who she knew as Web. She met him in Maine when her family was on holiday and he was working at a local establishment. He had become good friends with Marni's older brother Ethan. They had a secret relationship that stopped when a tragic accident happened.

Move on 14 years and Brian Webster is now a famous and well connected photogr...more
Louise
"When she was just seventeen, Marni Lange loved Brian Webster with a consuming passion. Then a tragic accident tore them apart. Brian's broken body mended, but her never forgave himself for the accident that killed Marni's brother. Marni, her world equally shattered, was forced to choose between honoring her powerful, wealthy family...and the man she loved.

Now, fourteen years later, Marni is a successful businesswoman about to be profiled by a world-famous photographer...Brian Webster. Suddenly...more
Angie
I had liked one if her other books but this one fell short. I think I was expecting her writing to be similar to her other book, but this was a romance and I do not generally enjoy that genre. I found Web and Marni's relationship unbelievable. Better luck next time.
Widhy Pratiwie
crtanya mirip sinetr0n tp bnr2 menyentuh. . . .ksh seorg pemuda brndal dgn gadis kaya yg tak drestui oleh orang tua sang gadis.mslh brtmbh pelik saat web mengalami kecelakaan yg menyebabkan kk marni tewas.

Cintapun terpaksa kandas,tp takdir mempertemukan mrka 14thn kemudian dlm nuansa formal.

pd akhrny web sadar kalo ketertarikanny thdp marni telah brkmbg menjadi cinta,tp perjuanganny tak mdh,krn marni sgt bth diyakinkan stlh kejadian 14thn yg lalu.

very t0uched. . . .trtma saat web dgn brani menda...more
Brantley
This book was awful and if it hadn't been an audiobook for my commute, I would never have finished it. The main character is extremely annoying, the dialogue is trite and unrealistic, and the sex scenes so cheesy that I laughed out loud more than once, which I don't think was the mood the author was hoping to evoke.
Denise Westlake
Steamy.. but who cares? Bla bla bla
Kaye
I was enjoying the author so I put all the Delinsky novels I could get from the library on my iPod. It wasn't until I was well into this one that I realized that this is one of the authors books from the 80's when she was a romance author for Harlequin. It is not the kind of book I would choose to read at this point my my life but I finished it. She was very good at the romance formula. Successful business women now meets up with her first love from 14 years ago, now a photographer. A bit more e...more
Sharon
Not the best book I've read by this author, but an okay read. Runs more along the "typical romance" format, but the characters are likeable even if predictable. There was tension between the sisters that could have been explored more thoroughly. I still enjoy Ms Delinsky's books and have several more to read!
I found this book on the new shelf at the library. Later at home, I realized it was actually published in 1986 the first time as a Harlequin romance, and now it is being reintroduced with a new cover, a new look. Barbara Delinsky has certainly evolved as a writer in the last 26 years! I definitely like her more recent works much better than this one. Just a little too Harlequin for me.
Ruby
I'll give Barbara Delinksy the benefit of the doubt that this was one of her earlier books and she hadn't yet perfected her writing style. This book was trite, shallow and quite honestly a waste of my reading time. I'm usually a big Delinsky fan so you can imagine my disappointment. I'll stick with her later ones for sure.
Veronica W.
This was very enjoyable book. Ms. Delinsky did a wonderful job with developing a storyline that was not only realistic but compelling. The reader was able to understand the complexity of the hurdles the couple faced and the pain they had endured due to a tragic accident 14 years earlier. However, their love never faded.
Jackie
I have read several of Barbara Delinsky's books and enjoy them very much. I was introduced to this author when I read The Vineyard. I was hooked from that moment on. This book didn't feel that it was her best work. I think it is a nice story and different from her previous books. I liked the ending.
Aileen
I chose this book when browsing the Library for something to read, I can't say too much about the plot without giving it all away what i can say is I really enjoyed this book I couldn't put it down, there was a lot of twists and turns, It's a short story at 250 Pages I would definetely recommend.
Julianne
This is a very old book, but newly recorded as a CD set. Two successful adults re-meet after fourteen years apart. Their relationship is complicated enough, but her parents make everything worse. Attitudes change and hearts soften. Old-fashioned, but satisfactory.
Rachele
This book has a beautiful "love story" however the story line has a somewhat rushed feel. If you are looking to get lost in a book and escape the ins and outs of daily life, even just for a little while, this is a great book to do so with!
Antionette
I'd give it a 2.5 if I could. It typical romance novel. Not much to it though. If you are looking for a story about two star crossed lovers who are forbidden to be together but do what they can to beat the odds then this is the book for you.
  • Night Moves
  • Three In A Bed
  • Girls Night
  • No Place Like Home (Cisco, #1)
  • Table for Five
  • Legacy
  • Played (Deception Series, #2)
  • The Guardian's Forbidden Mistress
  • Starlight
  • After Tex
  • Honorable Intentions (The Landis Brothers, #5)
  • The Perfect Summer
  • CEO's Expectant Secretary (Kings of the Boardroom #6)
  • Full Moon Fever (Goosebumps Series 2000, #22)
  • Married on Mondays
  • Smurf dan Krwakakrwa (Kisah Smurf)
  • An Amish Christmas
  • Bedding His Virgin Mistress
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...
Not My Daughter While My Sister Sleeps The Secret Between Us Coast Road Family Tree