Start by marking “Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:
Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3

Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3 (Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus 3)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  21 reviews
After co-creating comic book heroes including The Fantastic Four and The Hulk, legendary writer/artist Jack Kirby came to DC Comics in 1970 to write and illustrate four interlocking series known collectively as "The Fourth World." Now, for the first time, DC collects these four series -- The New Gods, The Forever People, Mister Miracle and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen -- in ...more
Published November 7th 2007 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3

Tim
The best of the series so far! Jack Kirby hated the appearance of Deadman in the two issues he's in of The Forever People, but to me they shine as the best in that title.

This volume also sees the end of Kirby's run on the Jimmy Olsen book. I understand the appeal of the book, it's not lost on me, it's just not my cup of tea. I was happy to see Jimmy go and I was thrilled to actually be engaged with the Forever People.

Mister Miracle and New Gods continue to shine. In the other two volumes, New Go
Richard Guion
Some of Jack Kirby's finest work in his entire career. "The Pact" in New Gods explores the early days of both Highfather and Darkseid and how their sons came to be traded for a pact of peace. The companion to this is "Himon" in Mister Miracle which presents us the final days of Young Scott Free before he escapes from Apokolips. Mister Miracle & Big Barda return to Apokolips to confront Granny Goodness and escape another trap. Orion finally battles his half-brother Kalibak and tears apart New ...more
Karl Kindt
I hated Jack Kirby's art, until sometime after I hit college (1984). I started to appreciate his work as I got older, until now--I love it. I cannot get enough. The five stars on goodreads.com are not enough because now that I have read a big one year chunk in nearly one sitting, I can see how Kirby's vision with this Fourth World stuff is more than just amazing. This volume is like brain-candy. I have ordered the other three volumes of this collection and cannot wait to devour every one of them ...more
Randy Lander
The first third or so of this book is among the strongest of the Fourth World stuff, with "The Pact" (arguably the best story of the Fourth World, and the origin story of Mister Miracle, Orion and the whole war between New Genesis and Apokolips), the time-traveling Forever People tales and the abrupt but full of potential tale of "Superman in Supertown."

But after that, it starts to look more like the goofy DC Silver Age stuff that I've got little patience for. I don't know if Kirby was trying t
B
This is a little different from the others in that Kirby both (1) starts explaining what the origin of the story is and (2) starts telling kind of pointless non-core stories as well. The origin stuff is interesting. A lot of the not-origin stuff in this book feels a little jumpy. It's possible to have an arc told in bits and pieces as the background of all the other actions in the book. Here, it feels a little more like the arc has lost its way. But who knows?
Elijah Spector
While this volume has some of the best stories that Kirby did for the Fourth World books, "The Pact," "Himon," it also contains the clear beginnings of when he began to go downhill. (That, and I didn't love "The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin" as much as most people did.) It's still a collection of beautiful craziness, helped along by an even greater number of two-to-three page mini-features in the backs of a lot of the issues that do nothing but show us random other characters in the universe be ...more
Andrew Perron
Has some really incredibly top-tier amazing stuff, like The Pact, and some not-as-good-but-still-really-fun stuff, like the Deadman two-parter. Read this entire series if you're into superheroes, space opera, intergenerational war drama, or amazing things.
Mark
After the first two volumes, this one is a bet of a let down. The MISTER MIRACLE and NEW GODS stories are great; the origin of Scott Free and Orion, fill in the gaps on the war between Apokolips and New Genesis, and read like an amalgam of the Norse and Greek myths. The Kirby and Royer art is great, especially the splash pages. The volume falls short though with the FOREVER PEOPLE which is dated by the language and commentary on the early 1970s, and the attempts to link it to the DC Universe. An ...more
Joseph
Unbridled creativity here. This is a crazy ride. Not always completely successful, but always inventive and fun. So many ideas thrown around, threads never followed up on. Fantastic in just about every way.
Tara
Oct 29, 2014 Tara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Most of this doesn't really work for me but Barda and the Furies SPEAK TO ME
Russell Grant
As good as the previous volumes are, this one gets truly biblical at points and really delivers. Jack Kirby's favourite story "The Pact" is in this one, and it is fantastic. Even with the book starting to go off the rails due to DC cracking down and canceling the book doesn't prevent this one from being entertaining.

Which leads to Volume Four, the end as forced upon Kirby. So it leaves this book ending on a bit of a melancholia note.
Gabriel
Athough Kirby's art and inventiveness is still high, one can sense the probelmes he was starting to have at DC and his lack of satisfaction with Jimmy Olsen. This volume holds some of Jack's best work (The Pact) but also work that is obviously company mandated (The two issues featuring Deadman). also as the conflict grows more intenses the sense of fun present in the first two volumes is a bit lacking. STill a must-read for any comic fan.
Drew
The Fouth World saga continues, but is clearly losing steam by the end of this volume. Kirby abruptly drops the Jimmy Olson/Newsboy Legion part of the story, which is really no big loss. He also includes "The Pact", the New Gods story that (finally) gives a lot of the background about what the hell has been going on this whole time. It's one of the best stories in the whole series, but it probably should have been done much sooner.
Mike
This collection includes Jack Kirby's two favorite stories of the Fourth World storyline, and they are very well done. This group of stories shows the concept at its best. They are very action oriented, but there is also a feeling that there is an epic struggle between two worlds being played out, with Earth helplessly caught in the middle as the violence and fury spirals out of control.
Adam
This edition frops from 5 to 4 stars only because a couple of the stories just aren't quite as good as the rest have been -- Deadman just doesn't fit with the Forever People, and Kirby's run on Jimmy Olsen kind of fizzles out. But we learn more about the origins of Mr. Miracle and the New Gods, and I thought The Bug was a fascinating new character.
Keith Bowden
"The Pact." "The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin." "Himon." This one has it all, some of Kirby's greatest stories from his entire career are in this volume. This is the creative highpoint for The Fourth World; Jack was revving up, hitting his stride... and shortly after these stories the plug was pulled. Oh, what could have been...
Jesse
Aug 18, 2009 Jesse rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: him, us
It would be nice to have the option of reading these at the pace that they were originally released but the library says 28 days per volume, so 28 days it is. I'm nervous for Volume 4. By all accounts, the ending is a disappointment.
Keith Davis
Volume 3 includes the two strongest stories from Kirby's short run on the Fourth World titles: The Pact and The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin.
Jamil
Contains three of my favorite Kirby Fourth World Tales: "The Pact", "The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin" & "Himon".
Charlie Oliver
Charlie Oliver marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
  • The Animal Man Omnibus
  • Fantastic Four Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4
  • Absolute Planetary Book Two
  • The New Teen Titans Archives, Vol. 1
  • Art Out of Time: Unknown Comics Visionaries, 1900-1969
  • Kirby: King of Comics
Jack Kirby (born Jacob Kurtzberg) was one of the most influential, recognizable, and prolific artists in American comic books, and the co-creator of such enduring characters and popular culture icons as the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Hulk, Captain America, and hundreds of others stretching back to the earliest days of the medium. He was also a comic book writer and editor. His most common nick ...more
More about Jack Kirby...

Jack Kirby's Fourth World (7 books)
  • New Gods
  • Mister Miracle, Vol. 1
  • Mister Miracle, Vol. 2
  • The Forever People
  • Jimmy Olsen Adventures, Vol. 1
  • Jimmy Olsen Adventures, Vol. 2
  • The Hunger Dogs
Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 1 Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 2 New Gods OMAC: One Man Army Corps Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 4