The Passions of Chelsea Kane

The Passions of Chelsea Kane

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  57 reviews
After the death of her adoptive mother, thirty-six-year-old Chelsea Kane is consumed by the need to uncover her biological heritage. Taking a break from her successful architecture career, she arrives in the New Hampshire town where she was born, determined to learn the truth, her only clue a tarnished silver key.

One of her first discoveries, however, is something quite un...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Harper Torch (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Passions of Chelsea Kane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Passions of Chelsea Kane

Brooke
This book is classic Barbara Delinsky book! It had a bit of mystery mixed in with human relationships and the complications of family. This was really a page turner for me and I was able to finish it really quickly. It is a romance fiction book with sexual situations and would not be suitable for teen readers. If you liked Suddenly and Together Alone I think you will really like this book.
Robin Byrd
I loved this book. It is one of those i couldnt put down. Barbara Delinsky is on the top of my list as best authors right now.
Beth Britnell
I read this when it first came out and just re-read it. I find that I really like books that are old enough that the characters aren't using cell phones or computers. I think it means the author has to focus more on the content of the character's communicating with others, rather than how it is done. It seems to add depth to the story.
Chris
I generally like her books and fell in love with some of the secondary characters. That's a good sign. This was an engaging read.
Di
I read this last year and remember loving it but I forget the plot.....hmmm guess i will have to read it again.
Judy
This was a good book. Couln't put it down wondering what was going to happen next. Mystery with romance.
Rachel Brand
I find myself continually surprised by Barbara Delinsky's older novels. While I think she really found her voice in the early Noughties, some of the sagas from the Nineties are still definitely worth the read, if not quite up to the standards of her more recent books. Despite figuring out who Chelsea's parents were pretty early on in the novel - and who Hunter was in relation to her - I still really enjoyed listening to this book and regretted having to turn it off once the housework was done. T...more
Joan
Jamie Duncan
I learned that a good book can quickly turn into a book full of unnecessary gratuitous sexual description fast. I was really enjoying the story and interested in the outcome, when all of the sudden at just about half way in, it became a book about descriptions of Chelsea's sex capades.

I was disappointed, because it truly was a good story. But one thing I noticed, there is a difference between reading about "love" and "romance" than reading about descriptive sex. This book made sex seem like it...more
Denise
Written in the 1990's, this book is a bit dated in some of its information. That being said, it was an interesting story about hidden identity coming to light after many years. As others have indicated, I figured out who the biological parents of Chelsea Cain were pretty quickly. The story does give a good overview of small town life and the moral constraints of the 1950's, the time when I figure the author has her main character born. This book was a bit melodramatic at times, but not horribly....more
Louise
More fantastic reading from Delinsky!!!

From back cover:
"After the death of her adoptive mother, thirty-six-year-old Chelsea Kane is consumed by the need to uncover her biological heritage. Taking a break from her successful architecture career, she travels to the New Hampshire town where she was born, determined to learn the truth, her only clue a tarnished silver key.

One of her first discoveries, however, is something quite unexpected: the irresistibly attractive Judd Street. Buoyed by love and...more
Sherry
Years ago, after two abusive relationships, I realized that I had stopped reading romance or any books with romance in them. I didn't like thinking that I'd lost such a vital part of myself to a couple of jerks, so I took my oldest daughter to the book store and we searched for a book (or books) that might help me find that missing part of myself again. After much searching, I bought THE PASSIONS OF CHELSEA KANE. I've read it several times since then, and it remains one of my all-time favorites...more
Ann
I thought it was Brilliant
Jacki
Wow!

What a great book! Hard to put down. Touched on so many real issues!! Keeping romance and mystery active throughout.
Karyn
I didn't finish this book. I have really enjoyed some of Barbara Delinsky's books, but this wasn't one of them. I think I prefer her books that lean more toward her sociology bent rather romance. This was definitely more on the romance side of things.
K Kelley
Got it as a light summer read from my lovely M-I-L Laura...man the sex scenes made me blush knowing it was her book! Not my usual read but was perfect to read while I was recovering from emergency surgery; it required little thought, was easy to get into, good character development. But was also predictable w/stereotypical characters, and although it was meant to be a mystery/love story it was so easy to guess who, what and where.
Natalya
A great fluid read, must have been written in one sitting, its so easy to read. Everything comes together too neatly in the end, when the baddies are very bad (a la Nora Roberts), but I am a sucker for happy endings so I didn't mind. What I did love was Chelsea's spunky character, where she takes on so much despite the obvious obstacles and given where she is coming from psychologically. Delinsky at one of her best.
Jen
Barbara Delinsky spent much time building up certain story lines and character conflicts only to quickly resolve some of them in the end. She also had strange transitions between one scene and the next. Instead of completing ending the scene with a few spaces, she awkwardly tried to merge them together. All-in-all, a good read... much more romance than I usually prefer but entertaining and page turning.
Misha
I read this book about 15 years ago (maybe more)and I have been desperately trying to find this book. Funny thing is, I didn't remember the author, the title, the name of the characters or the plot. All I remembered was something about a granite company. It took me almost 2 weeks of intense googling, but I finally found it. I'm sure my mother still has her paperback copy. I plan to reread it very soon!
Becca
My grandmother insisted I take this book to read on a recent plane trip - after I told her I finished the book I intended to read on the first of six flights I had for a trip home. This is definitely not the genre or type of book I read or typically enjoy, but I was somewhat surprised by the interesting character and plot development. The references to Baltimore are nice, too.
Jen
Nov 10, 2007 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Chelsea grew up knowing she was adopted. At the age of 37, when her adopted mother dies, she is given a key postmarked from Norwich Notch giving her a clue into her past. There Chelsea's story develops as she becomes a partner in Plum Granite, meets Donna Plum Farr, Hunter Love and Judd Streeter. A story about love and mysterious happenings.
Jeanne
I enjoyed the characters and the plot. There is a bit of a mystery in the life of Chelsea Kane, an independent, successful woman who goes after what she wants and gets it. There's romance among the mystery with an interesting twist. This book had an ending that, I must admit, took me by surprise.
Abi_88
I read this book years ago. I was 17. What I remember the most about the story is the characters. The jump out of the pages and there's many of them.I prefer writers that take time to develop their characters and this is exactly what delinski does best. Her story telling is very realistic and insightful.
BookDigger
An EXCELLENT novel. I have read it many times over and still can't get enough of it. Judd Streeter is an unforgettable character who will make you yearn for the man of your dreams and Chelsea Kane is a woman you will hope to become. Excellent tear-jerker and heart shaper.
Deborah
I enjoyed it. It was a good, easy read. Great for a vacation or a few days poolside. As a reader, I prefer much heavier reads. Love memoirs, biographies, books that make you really feel something. This is not that kind of book, so I may not be giving it a fair shake.
The cover jacket sounded interesting, and this one did suck me back into reading. Couldn't wait to get back to it and read a little more. Characters are interesting, plot is a bit contrived, but this is a very enjoyable book. Will look out for some more by this author.
Elisabeth
Apr 14, 2011 Elisabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elisabeth by: Carla
Read originally in 1994 - 1995 and stayed with me. Managed to buy a used copy in 2010 and loved it as much before. The love story between Judd and Chelsea was lovely but Hunter Love definitely made this book. A keeper.
Tanya
This is one of my favorite books by this author. I love the main character. She is strong and doesn't let what happened to her ruin her. If you are going on read one of Barbara Delinsky's books make sure this is the one.
Absolutely my favorite from Barbara Delinsky. I read this first as a teenager, and it got me hooked on romance novels. The characters are real and have their flaws, but it just makes you root for them more. Love it!
Jody
I love Barbara Delinsky! This was the second time I read this book and I enjoyed it just as much as the first time.

Love the characters and how they interact with each other; loved the story line!
  • Tangled Vines
  • This Matter of Marriage
  • A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)
  • Separate Beds
  • Crazy in Love
  • Reunion
  • On Shadow Beach (Angel's Bay, #2)
  • White Picket Fences
  • Mending Fences
  • About Face
  • True Love at Silver Creek Ranch (Valentine Valley, #2)
  • Torn
  • Such Devoted Sisters
  • Gone South
  • Summer by the Sea
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk...more
More about Barbara Delinsky...
Not My Daughter While My Sister Sleeps The Secret Between Us Coast Road Family Tree