Start by marking “Millions (Arabic Edition)” as Want to Read:
Millions (Arabic Edition)

Millions (Arabic Edition)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,552 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews
After their mother dies, two brothers find a huge amount of money which they must spend quickly before England switches to the new European currency, but they disagree on what to do with it.
Paperback
Published March 17th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Millions, please sign up.

Gorab Jain Based on the film, I'd say its a fictional drama with a little bit of humor mixed with loads of childhood innocence and a heart of gold.

Tea Jovanović
Jedna od meni dražih dečjih knjiga (u kojima mogu da uživaju i odrasli), koja je zabavna, duhovita i... ekranizovana... Dosta sam se "borila" s izdavačem da ugleda svetlost dana i toplo je preporučujem... Ovo je pisac na koga treba obratiti pažnju... Šteta što ga je izdavač zanemario...
Courtney Burns
I think this was meant to be a feel-good family drama about the effects of money on individuals and society, but is just felt negative and wrong--I never felt that the taking of the money was right or justified in any way and to have every character attempt to justify it and take and spend it without any consequences was just something I couldn't get past. The Mormons, specifically Mormon missionaries, played a role in the story and while the bit that seemed to have been copied directly from a s ...more
Jessica
I was looking for a new Christmas set novel to read and Robison Wells recommended this. I've seen the movie, but didn't know that it was a book. Apparently they were written at the same time, as Frank Boyce was originally a screenwriter.

The verdict?

What a delight!

Damian's voice is so clear and pure that I couldn't stop smiling and reading. I was immediately concerned for him, for his father, for his brother, and wanted them to "win." But how they would win, and what the answer was, I didn't know
Niru Dharmasiri
Millions is an interesting story about two young brothers who stumble upon a bag filled with thousands of pounds and must try and spend it before the currency is changed to the euro. Anthony and Damian Cunningham are two English school boys and together with their combined knowledge of saints and money they must overcome many obstacles. Their story shows the true value of money and family, and that a little kindness can go a long way.

Although this book isn't something I would usually read, I did
Elisha Condie
Nov 22, 2010 Elisha Condie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
All I can tell from Frank Cottrell Boyce based on his jacket info is that he looks like Alan Cumming's brother and he has 7 kids. But seriously, who IS this guy? I love his books.

I saw the movie of this one years ago and kind of forgot about it. Damian and Anthony are brothers and they've just moved into a new neighborhood. Damian is obsessed with saints and builds himself a little hermitage to live in down by the railroad tracks. Then a big bag of money falls off a train and as he and his br
Kathy
Millions

Author: Frank Cottrell Boyce
Reviewer:Cierra Kitt

Damian and his brother Anthony move in with their father because their mom died. Ever since Damian’s mom died he always believes in saints because he thinks it will get him closer to his mom. I think he is still shocked about it because he always says “My Mum’s dead”. Everyone always tells him that “She’s is a better place” (pg. 39). Damian goes to the hermitage (a place he likes to go to pray about his mom). While he is there a bag full
Jessica
I saw and loved the movie before I read and loved the book. The clerk at Bank Street Bookstore promised that if I didn't mind Damian's constant musing about religion and saintliness I would love the story, but warned me some people are bothered by seeing so much religion in a kid's book. I thought it was fascinating to have saintly visitations happening alongside a heist adventure. Damian's obsession with "being excellent" made him an unusual and memorable main character whose circular, well-int ...more
Lalita Garg
Apr 11, 2014 Lalita Garg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a very interesting book with many important lessons that can be learnt from this novel such as how to spend money wisely and so on. Though there were some confusions in the middle of the book but overall the book is excellent. I would recommend this book to all the people who like moral related books.
Stephanie Lim
Millions is about two young brothers who come across millions of pounds and their decisions on what they do with it. There is selflessness and selfishness throughout the story and what is right and wrong becomes tested. We follow Damian and Anthony (brothers) through everything they do with the money before the day when the pound gets changed for the Euro.

Conflicts arise throughout their family as the burden becomes to much to bear and secrets are becoming harder to keep. How will these two trou
Alyssa Pagaduan
This book is about two brothers who enters an journey full of fun, wildness and twists. It tells a story where they come across a bag full of pounds and through that, both brothers goes through decisions of what they could do with it before they change it to euros.The characters in this book, each have their own characteristic to them and this shows us how we use money and what money can do to us.

Damian, who is the narrator/protagonist of the story, has a different obsession to a usual seven ye
Raven Stevens
Millions was a complicated novel based on a interesting character Damian. I rated this novel a 3 out of 5 because although the novel had a great message in it the story itself was confusing at times. This novel how ever was very detailed and interesting. Damian had an addiction and Money and house prices were Anthony's.The boys are still in primary school. Through this novel The brothers are facing a newer, harder challenge everyday and as the saying goes "what goes up must come down" this is th ...more
Minli
Saw this film a few months back, and knew the screenwriter Frank Cottrell Boyce as the author of Cosmic, which I adored. The film was good, if a tad unapproachable. I totally understood Damian's obsession with saints after his mother passed away, and his need to be pious and excellent. It's a little weird, don't get me wrong. Some kids have an obsession with baseball stats and others can name every species of frog, so... yeah.

Damian, his dad and his older brother Anthony move to a new house. Dam
Jamie Gough
Apr 05, 2012 Jamie Gough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, sweet story told by a 5th-grade boy who just happens to see long-dead saints everywhere he looks.

Damian and his brother, Anthony, have recently lost their mother, and their father is doing all that he can to raise them well. Damian’s coping mechanism for his mother’s death is to read everything he can about the lives of various saints. Anthony, however, becomes a bit of a financial guru. When a huge bag stuffed with more than 200,000 quid comes flying out of the sky and into Damian
Roger DeBlanck
Millions is a fun book, full of wild and also touching emotion. The main character, Damian, is fascinated with saints. Boyce does a nice job of balancing the serious elements of grief with bits of humor that add up to a compelling tale of coming-of-age and growing up. The book also raises issues of the best way to help the poor. Throughout the story, Damian is troubled with how to give and where to donate money. He turns to his saintly visions for guidance, and his heart is always in the right p ...more
Beth Bonini
Apr 28, 2012 Beth Bonini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those children's books that seems to be operating on two levels. Although I do think it would appeal to the more intelligent readers in the 10-13 age group, a lot of the humour and commentary is probably aimed more at an adult level of understanding. (The real estate and financial commentary of the protagonist's older brother, Anthony, is one example that comes to mind.)

There are two major plot points: Damian (the protagonist) and Anthony are trying to cope with the recent death o
Apr 10, 2014 8038 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. I enjoyed the innocent, younger tone of the narrator paired with the more, sophisticated topic. The structure of the novel is neat and clear, simplistic vocabulary is used and the variety of characters is pleasing. However, I personally found the sequencing of the invents a little confusing, with more and more problems rising in the plot where least expected.
Other than that, though, Millions was a good read, and I recommend it to people looking for a fairly challenging book
Danielle Wilson
Apr 03, 2012 Danielle Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read children's fiction very often, but this one was recommended to me so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

It's a story about 2 brothers who are each dealing with the loss of their mother in different ways, and a father who reminds them to be excellent. The younger brother (and narrator) Damian tries his best to be excellent and to do good work every day. His heart is in the right place, but sadly the execution doesn't come off like he thinks it will. His older brother, Anthony, focuses on
Kit
May 01, 2008 Kit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to the audiobook, which was even more hilarious than the book, due to the great voice of the narrator. (Being American, I wouldn't have been able to imagine the sound of the annoyed protagonist telling his older brother that his cardboard hideout isn't a den, but "an hermitage.")

Damian has visions of saints, who all have their own personalities (and are hilarious). When he prays for guidance and a giant bag of money falls out of the sky, he figures God has sent it. His older
Christine Sinclair
Great story! The characters are so well-drawn, and the writing (with an Irish spin) is perfect. Toss together found money, lots of saints, a boy missing his mother and the hard choices to be made if you're suddenly rich, and you get Millions, good for a million smiles. If Maeve Binchy had written Home Alone, it couldn't be better than this. Gotta see the movie!
Sarah Bartlett-Wright
The book millions was interesting. I never thought a seven yr old boy would ever be obsessed with saints but then again anything is possible. I enjoyed the book because it shows us that money really cannot buy happiness or love, and sometimes it just causes trouble. Millions is a good book with twists and turns that you don't expect.
Libby Gane
Apr 08, 2014 Libby Gane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written book. Millions addressed some interesting topics, the main one being what would you really do with that much money? Some bits seemed unclear and aspects could have been more explained, but overall it was an interesting read. Would recommend it to anyone who enjoys an semi-challenging read.
alana
Damien is a fourth grade student in England on the brink of the (imaginary) Pound/Euro currency changeover. Obsessed with the lives and demises of saints since the death of his mother, Damien attracts a great deal of negative attention and warranted concern around his community. Millions focuses on what Damien and and his brother choose to do with a great deal of money that suddenly falls in their laps.

While I adored Damien's saint-fixation and his brother's promiscuous obsession with finance, I
Emily
Apr 10, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Millions is a interesting book about two boys getting over the death of a family member and money. Damian and Anthony are well written characters, but I think the way they were written would have been more appropriate for boys older than them. Other than that, I think the book has been written very well.
Lisa
Jul 12, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave this two stars because I don't feel like the author did his "homework" very well and misrepresented missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (of which I am a member and was a missionary for). Aside from that, the whole Pounds to Euros story line threw me off because England didn't ever go to Euros. Turns out it is meant to be a fictional scenario so no harm no foul there.

There was one part I really could have done without where Damian and his brother are trying to
Nandini Gupta
Apr 08, 2014 Nandini Gupta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an extravagant journey about a young boy persuing his dream of exellence. He is a wonderful character who is unerstandable. This book teaches people about the complications of moneys and belifes.
Amanda
Mar 23, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed every book I have read by Frank Cottrell Boyce. He writes fast moving quirky stories with lots of heart. This book reads like a mad cap comic adventure/mystery/coming of age tale but is also a study in childhood grief and as is usual for this author the father son relationship is central to the plot . Damien's literal take on life, his pure heart, and his obsession with the lives of catholic saints is classic Cottrell Boyce and is both hilarious and poignant.
GREAT book for middle
Emad Khoddam
کتاب به عنوان یه رمان تک جلدی نوجوان کتاب خوبی بود .
کتاب با عقاید و فرهنگ امروزی و ایرانی ما خیلی خیلی فاصله داره و برای همین نقدی ازش نمی نویسم . ولی داستان قشنگ و عبرت آموزی داره .
Edwina
Jul 19, 2014 Edwina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce, I have discovered many things about the characters in the book. The protagonist and narrator of the novel; Damian Cunningham finds a bag full of cash after it turns up at his hermitage. At first he doesn't know what to do until he turns to his brother Anthony who decides to use and spend the money wisely. What I liked about this book was about how Damian isn't as sociable like his brother and he often wanders off into his own world rather than spen ...more
Jone Seniceva
I decide to read this book because our teacher chose it for our class .
I liked it because of the thrill and the story line
I learned a lot about saints
Anthony was very interesting because of the different things he thought were possible with the money
Isabella Starvaggi
Ok. I lied. I didn't read it. I read about half of it and got bored. This was on my summer reading list. The narrator, an extremely religious fourth grade boy, felt like a fly in my ear, in all honesty. Very sorry if this insults anyone because of their faith... If you think that you'd find someone constantly talking about the patron saint of everything annoying, this books is not for you.
Fourth grader Damian Cunningham has just moved into a new house with his older brother and dad(their mother
  • Stumptown Kid
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • Ash Road
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Bill's New Frock
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Hurricane
  • Cold Case
  • Edward's Eyes
  • The Cat: Or, How I Lost Eternity
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Fire, Bed, and Bone
  • The Haunting
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
  • Halinka
  • Jennings & Darbishire
Frank Cottrell Boyce is a British screenwriter, novelist and occasional actor.

In addition to original scripts, Cottrell Boyce has also adapted novels for the screen and written children's fiction, winning the 2004 Carnegie Medal for his debut, Millions, based on his own screenplay for the film of the same name.
His novel Framed was shortlisted for the Whitbread Book of the Year as well as the Carne
More about Frank Cottrell Boyce...

“Where's Dorothy?" Dad said.
"I don't know. She came in, took the money and went. I don't even know how she got in."
"What did she say?"