Ariol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and Me

Ariol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and Me (Ariol #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Brand new series from multiple award-winning author Emmanuel Guibert and renowned illustrator Marc Boutavant!

Ariol is your everyday tween donkey. He lives in the suburbs with his mom and dad. His best friend is a pig. He’s in love with a beautiful cow in his class. His teacher is a dog. His gym teacher is a huge rooster. In short, Ariol is just like you and me.
Published February 19th 2013 by Papercutz

Nicola Mansfield
I've been wanting to read this cute looking kids comic series for a while and now that vol. 4 has just been published thought I'd start in. The series ended up being as cute as I had expected but more funny and adult-humour suited than expected. It is the type of humour that kids appreciate on one level while adults on a whole other. A collection of several unrelated (plot-wise) short stories which contain the same characters. The kids (all various animals) are not given an age but are somewhere...more
Erica
The days are shorter than recess and Ariol would like nothing better than to migrate South like a bird. But instead he has to leave his warm, comfy bed to go to school every morning. School's not all bad, there's his best friend Ramono who always comes up with cool games to play and pranks to pull. And Petula, who is the prettiest cow Ariol has ever seen. On the other hand there's also Mr. Ribera, the gym teacher who, in fact, has no sense of humor and Bizzbilla who won't leave him alone. If Ar...more
Tabitha (Pabkins)
I love comics – I am not opposed to reading whatever I come across, especially if someone is giving it to me. When I picked up Ariol, based on the art of the cover I thought it was going to be much more of a kiddy comic than what I got. The characters appear to be in high school and sometimes the humor seems targeted at adults. Of course I’m sure teens would be entertained as well. There is some school time, family interaction, silly game playing (Did you ever play that kissing game when you wer...more
Betsy
The French are different from you and me. They have better comics for their kids. Sure, America’s been doing passably well in the last few years, but take a look at the graphic novel shelves of your local library or bookstore and you won’t be able to help but notice how many of the names there sound distinctly French. Joann Sfar. Guillaume Dorison. Goscinny. The list goes on. While we've been frittering away our time with discussions of "New Adult" fads, the French have come very close to perfec...more
Carol
Ariol is a silly little donkey that acts just like a normal kid. he goes to school, likes a girl, and is liked by another girl. He even has issues with his friends, parents and teachers.Each story is 2-4 pages long making it quick and easy read for somewhat older kids. As a warning there are a few jokes and references to the biblical term for a donkey. Ariol is quirky and odd, yet fun. Big Nate in the Barnyard!
Zoey
This book is a cool and funny book which includes 10 different cool adventure with Ariol and his friends during different times in the season. The reason I picked this book is because the cover looked interesting and the book was in color plus I love reading little stories and why not get a little bunch and stuff it all into one big book. The reason finished the book is because I couldn't just stop reading the book, it gave me a non-stop action of reading. With the colors in the book makes the b...more
Marjorie
clever and funny. a graphic novel with little lessons.
Arminzerella
Bethe
Quirky little French import, some of the humor may be lost in translation? This is not one long story as in a typical graphic novel, but a collection of 10 episodes, some work better than others. There are a lot of strange names, all in capital letters. Stupid and idiot are used quite liberally, some young readers may be sensitive to this language. Dumbass is also used during a philosophical discussion (about the intelligence of their species) between Ariol and his mom. Curious to see how the st...more
Christiana
This was funny, like, 25% of the time: when Ariol changes in his bed because it's cold (hits a bit close to home) and when everybody starts running with him when all he wants to do is be alone with Petula. Oh! And that Petula's mom calls her "moo moo". I would maybe rec this to tweens who are really into comic collections (like Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes). I didn't love it as much as other comic collections, but I am old and jaded.
Samantha
This is my new favorite kids comics character/series. Ariol is a donkey, but he acts just like a little boy you know. He idolizes a TV superhero and is constantly scheming ways to fulfill his deepest desires (i.e. procure the coolest new sneakers, win the affections of his crush etc).

Short comics are funny and full of day to day life adventures. Must read for grades 3-5.
Ana Bennett
GRAPHIC NOVEL
This definitely falls more into the “comic book” realm versus the “graphic novel realm” of things. The story follows a donkey and his various animal friends, presenting various stories that deal with growing up/school/parents. It’s fun and entertaining in its own right, but by no means would I categorize it as “Literature.”
The Styling Librarian
Ariol – Just a Donkey Like You and Me by Emmanuel Guibert and Marc Boutavant – Graphic Novel – 2nd grade and up – So glad that a blogger mentioned this book, quite entertaining and hilarious. My son loved every minute of this book. I love how the children interact with the adults in the book in addition to the clueless nature of Ariol…
This book is weirdly fun and I couldn't help but laugh at the adventures of Ariol, the tween donkey. I didn't love the illustrations but the writing kept me entertained. The little details are hilarious: a horse named "Battlemess," the teacher who constantly overuses "in fact," the fly who is in love with Ariol.
Dolores
In many ways this title reminded me of the Squish series, but through a slightly distorted lens. It has some humor, but occasionally it has a slight edge to it-the kind that makes you a bit guilty for being amused. But I do think the book has kid appeal, especially for Squish fans.
Morgan
Was bothered by Ariol's obnoxious personality until I remembered he is supposed to be a "tween" donkey (Guibert kinda nailed it, then). Overall, felt mostly "meh" about Ariol and his band of semi-annoying/oddly-named friends.
Meghan Nels
A very interesting graphic novel with a different assortment of characters. Ariol, the blue donkey, has adventures both at school and home. The illustrations are bright and well done and there is limited wording on each page.
I will totally suggest this for 1-4th grader comic lovers. A little funny but mostly just an honest look at a typical 4/5 grade life even though he is a donkey he really is just like me and you.
Mary
Pretty odd and not that funny. I bought them after reading not one, but two positive reviews and now I'm sorry I did. Who the heck are these reviewers? Or maybe it's just me...
Lara
A graphic novel that will appeal to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid set. A collection of short stories revolving around a donkey and his friends, family, and schoolmates.
Amy
Excellent graphic novel for kids. Super funny and relevant to their lives. Wonderfully drawn and colored. Love the different vignettes put into one book.
Anne
Three and a half stars. Very sweet and at times very odd in a French kind of way. A silly yet serious graphic novel that doesn't talk down to kids.
David O'Connell
Episodes from a young donkey's life. So good to see this series coming out in English. Funny, engaging and touching.
Genevieve
Good reflection of everyday craziness and frustration. 2nd-4th grade boys or girls
Michael
via NYPL - charming and sweet, well drawn. Worth a look if you've got kids.
Anne
This could be a another read-alike for Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans.
Linda Cohen
So charming and funny! I laughed out loud lots!!
Tessa
real life like Arthur is real life, yes?
Kelly Moore
This is weird and I like it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Ariol 1 2 Jun 08, 2013 08:54PM
Emmanuel Guibert has written a great many graphic novels for readers young and old, among them the Sardine in Outer Space series and The Professor’s Daughter with Joann Sfar.

In 1994, a chance encounter with an American World War II veteran named Alan Cope marked the beginning of a deep friendship and the birth of a great biographical epic.

Another of Guibert's recent works is The Photographer. Show...more
More about Emmanuel Guibert...
The Photographer Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope Sardine in Outer Space Sardine in Outer Space 2 Sardine in Outer Space 3