Frozen

Frozen

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In Kate Watterson's thrilling suspense novel Frozen, Bryce Grantham wants a quiet vacation at his family’s cabin. On his first night in town, he meets a lovely girl at a bar and gives her a ride home. The next day, he finds her cell phone in his car. When he tries to return it, Bryce discovers that the young woman has vanished, leaving behind only a bloody shoe.

Suddenly Br...more
Published December 24th 2012 by Tor Books

Linda Strong
Between a 'cozy' and a psychological thriller, the book is entertaining, the mystery will keep you guessing until the end, and I like the characters. Ellie MacIntosh is a small Wisconsin detective who faces her first serial killer. For 18 months, women have been going missing, leaving no clues, and no body. It's only when Bryce Grantham decides to spend some down-time in his parents' cabin that things start heating up. All of a sudden, he's being connected to the missing women, even to the point...more
Wendy Clark
I am a terrible reviewer for this book as I'm not a fan of mysteries and I was expecting Tor/Forge to have a paranormal or fantastical element that never emerged. So, others looking for a good mystery review, stop reading. These are my notes to self:

The imagery in this book is fantastic. Everything is cold; the wine the heroine drinks (chilled Riesling) stood out to me because it was an unnecessary detail that still adds to the chilling nature. Pretty, pretty words.

I didn't find the main charact...more
Maggie Boyd
Bryce Grantham is looking for some peace and quiet when he heads to his families cabin in the North Woods of Wisconsin. His plan? To spend the cold afternoons and evenings working on his novel. But a casual encounter with a young woman at the local bar finds Bryce as the chief suspect in a murder investigation.

Detective Ellie MacIntosh has been working this case for long months with no leads. Her gut tells her that in spite of circumstantial evidence, Bryce is not her man. But then, the deep att...more
Tonya
Feb 09, 2013 Tonya rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: dabblers in mystery reading; low gore factor
Shelves: mystery
Frozen gives us, the reader, for the most part a well paced mystery with characters that engage you but don't really make you believe in them.

Bryce Grantham has just finished attending a conference and thinks to take a relaxing vacation at the family cabin in Northern Wisconsin. October is an odd time for this part of the Midwest as it tends to either be an Autumn paradise or a cold, damp and dreary place to live and visit.
Bryce has more problems ahead than a badly insulated cabin after he sto...more
Grey Liliy
I bought this book because the cover had glitter on it.

Granted, I also read the back cover & the storyline of some poor sap being tormented by a serial killer sounded too fun to pass up.

And it pretty much delivered as spelled out on the back cover, so the glitter didn't lie! :D

But really, overall--I had a lot of fun with this one. It's a great story about a guy who didn't even have to dig his own hole--it came pre-dug & with a serial killer more than happy to dig it deeper while simultan...more
Morgan Wyatt
Ever wonder what you would do if accused of a crime you didn’t commit? What if you happened to be the last person seen with the victim? Even worse is if you are the person who finds the corpse. It is hard to get the police to believe you’re not the killer, especially when you don’t have an alibi. That is the place Bryce Grantham finds himself in Kate Watterson’s newest suspense novel, FROZEN by Tor-Forge books.

Bryce Grantham needs time alone to consider the direction is life is heading after a b...more
Merilee
My favorite kind of stress-relief reading is a thriller just like this. I've never read this author before and I'm so glad that I did. Intelligent, chilling, with the right mix of engaging characters and frightening action. The chemistry between two of the characters is an added bonus, since it's far from cheesy and complicates the situation. I knew who the killer was, but that did not detract from the story at all. I really enjoyed this author's writing style - I have NO idea why some people di...more
Ollie
Frozen has a intricate plot and is a thrilling book to read. I don't know how the Bryce is not placed in a psych ward with all the mental anguish he suffers. He has gone through a nasty divorce and has gone to his parents home in the mountains for peace and quiet. He plays the good Samaratian and the girl is found dead. From that point on ... the thrill ride is on.

The only down side to this book is that sometimes the author/publisher leaves out words. It takes you a minute to understand why you...more
Bea
Although the book starts out quickly, it took me a while to get invested in the story. For a while I thought I knew where it was going then I was worried I knew where it was going. For most of the book, Watterson is ambivalent about who the killer might be and it seemed as if she might pull a fast one and randomly produce a character who turned out to be the killer. While the killer's identity was a surprise, the clues were there. The characters are well drawn and interesting and really make the...more
John
I was at the airport getting ready to board a plane and realized I had left all my reading material in my checked luggage. While at a newsstand buying a beverage I decided to pick up a book and this one caught my eye.

The writing was AWFUL, hence the lower rating. However, the story was captivating and I always enjoy a story about tracking down a serial killer.

This story could be the script to a made for TV movie to be featured on the Hallmark channel, and it was definitely written with a female...more
Rebecca
Generic suspense, but not too scary. Fast paced enjoyable read.
This one was a light, quick read, and despite a few quirks, I enjoyed it enough that I picked up the sequel for a future day when it's too hot to think deeply. Frozen is typical of serial-killer mysteries: you have the requisite (and annoying) first-person interludes from the killer's point-of-view, and the plucky heroine who's inevitably in danger by the end of the story. But the characters are likeable, and there's enough sense of jeopardy that it kept me reading even when there were other thi...more
Gevera Bert
This book wasn't bad, but for some reason it couldn't keep my attention.
Gwynn
Great thriller. Couldn't put down.
Chastity Druga
Terribly slow, not one of my faves but I did like the detective Ellie.
Lauriek
A female detective investigating a serial killer in the midwest in a small remote summer vacation spot. There is enough mystery to keep the pages turning.
Lynda
Near the beginning, I had a suspect and I wavered on who I thought did the killing as I was reading further along. The book held my interest with the red herrings and the dramatic ending to the killing spree made it worth reading. If the writing was more intense, it would have been an awesome page turner.
Lance Cornell
Robin Brennan
Nothing like a serial killer to ruin a get away vacation. Borrowing the families vacation for a winter break to recharge and do some fishing Bryce finds himself the pawn of a serial killer and the suspect of the killings at the same time. Some vacation! Fast reading, with twists and subplots.
Denise
Not fantastic, but a very decent read, as I enjoy stories about serial killers and the cover was appealing, as well as the storyline on the back cover. I hadn't figured out who the killer was, so I was surprised. Don't know how Bryce kept it together. Will try the next book by this author.
Edward
Not quite 5 stars but close. A good story that kept my interest to the end. However... it needed a better editor. Nothing major but somethings threw me out of the story as I mentally tried to correct them. Still over all a good read.
Carly
What great psychological thriller. It had me wondering the whole time almost right up to the very end if he was the killer or not. I loved that. The storyline definitely had a hold of me. I couldn't wait to get home and read it!
Jessica
A gripping debut. I had a hard time putting it down and I am very much looking forward to the next installment. I loved the atmosphere and suspense and the descriptions chilled me to the bone. Highly recommended.
Kris
no thrills, no chills. I had it figured out pretty quick who the bad guy was. ended up finishing the book only to see if the last abducted woman was found alive or not. I'd pass on this one.
Stacy
Oh, the bodies pile up! This is a pulpy quick read from a prolific Indiana author. I enjoyed the setting and the characters and look forward to future books featuring Detective Ellie Macintosh.
Sandra
A little predictable, and the murderer is such a minimal character in the book that you're not really shocked to discover who it is...but a decent enough book for a rainy day read!
Teresa
good suspense. Didn't totally fall in love with Ellie's character in this book. Best part was the start of each chapter with the killer's thoughts. Didn't know who it was till the end!
CJ
The beginning of the book was a bit slow and the plotline quite simple. However, the characters were amusing and the book was entertaining about halfway through. 3 solid stars.
Ruth
Dec 27, 2012 Ruth marked it as to-read
Shelves: crime
introduces Detective Ellie MacIntosh, who'll spend a Wisconsin winter with cold cases of missing women. ~ from Criminal Elements e-newsletter
Bf710
Frozen was a great read. I would not call it suspenseful or surprising at the end but it was still a good book, not boring at all.
  • Live and Let Love (Agent Ex, #3)
  • Unthinkable (Jane Candiotti #4)
  • A Deeper Darkness
  • Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1)
  • Laird of Ballanclaire
  • The Impaler (Sam Markham, #2)
  • Chance of a Lifetime (Harmony, #5)
  • The Good Sister
  • Rage (Faces of Evil #4)
  • Closer Than Blood
  • Love Disguised
  • Random Passage
  • Cloudland
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Room No. 10
  • The Seventh Victim
  • Nowhere to Run (Nowhere, #1)
  • Semper Fidelis (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #5)
Writing as both Emma Wildes and Katherine Smith, Kate Watterson has over thirty published books to her credit, plus five Eppie nominations, one Eppie win for best historical erotic in 2007, a RWA Lories win, WisRWA 2005 final for best historical romance, and is a CAPA nominee. She loves suspense and to write erotic stories in the genre is a special treat.
More about Kate Watterson...
The Best Mistake Picture Perfect Buried Charred Reckless Territory