Start by marking “Frozen (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #1)” as Want to Read:
Frozen (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #1)

Frozen (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #1)

In Kate Watterson's thrilling suspense novel Frozen, Bryce Grantham wants a quiet vacation at his family's cabin. On his first night in town, he meets a lovely girl at a bar and gives her a ride home. The next day, he finds her cell phone in his car. When he tries to return it, Bryce discovers that the young woman has vanished, leaving behind only a bloody shoe.

Suddenly Br
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 24th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Frozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frozen

Elvan
May 09, 2014 Elvan rated it really liked it
A pleasure to read. Nice taut thriller. Interesting study of Ellie Macintosh the investigator and the prime suspect Bryce Grantham.
Good stuff. Looking forward to more thrillers from this new to me author.

Bigd_041555
Apr 24, 2014 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing
Great book by a new to me author.

Pins and needles, twists and turns and a ton of suspense. The thoughts of the serial killer start every chapter and you don't really have a clue who it is - you think it might be one person, then you think it might be another. The identity doesn't come out until close to the end.

Based in the wilds Wisconsin, with the regular cast of locals - a little bit of romance thrown into a great detective story.

A must read for all of you that like police procedurals - 2 thu
Linda Strong
Jul 01, 2013 Linda Strong rated it really liked it
Between a 'cozy' and a psychological thriller, the book is entertaining, the mystery will keep you guessing until the end, and I like the characters. Ellie MacIntosh is a small Wisconsin detective who faces her first serial killer. For 18 months, women have been going missing, leaving no clues, and no body. It's only when Bryce Grantham decides to spend some down-time in his parents' cabin that things start heating up. All of a sudden, he's being connected to the missing women, even to the point ...more
Kam
Jul 06, 2015 Kam rated it it was ok
I thought that this was a fairly good book. I loved the end with the surprise plot twist, but I did not like the start or the characters. When I started reading it I had to force myself to read it, and did not think that I would end up finishing the book. The only reason I got to the good part of the book was because I was stuck on a ferry for a couple of hours with nothing better to do. I found that the main character, Bryce, was boring as hell and the other main character, Ellie, was not much ...more
Wendy Clark
I am a terrible reviewer for this book as I'm not a fan of mysteries and I was expecting Tor/Forge to have a paranormal or fantastical element that never emerged. So, others looking for a good mystery review, stop reading. These are my notes to self:

The imagery in this book is fantastic. Everything is cold; the wine the heroine drinks (chilled Riesling) stood out to me because it was an unnecessary detail that still adds to the chilling nature. Pretty, pretty words.

I didn't find the main charact
Ken Schloman
Sep 03, 2015 Ken Schloman rated it really liked it
How would you react if you were the focus of a criminal investigation for murders you did not commit? That is one of the story lines contained in the mystery. Earlier I read and reviewed "Buried", the third novel in the series. That book made me want to track down earlier novels in the series and I'm glad I did. The novel is well written with good and realistic--- to a point-- characters. Description of Northern Wisconsin great, although if you have read any of my past reviews you know I like my ...more
Carly Tinkler
Nov 11, 2014 Carly Tinkler rated it did not like it
This book was really slow and not very suspenseful. I really wasn't impressed with the plot line either. It focused more on the detective and a random character than the plot.
Hunter Collins
Mar 06, 2015 Hunter Collins rated it really liked it
Is this book what I would add to book collection? I would say no because it doesn't fit in with my personal collection.
Did I enjoy the book? Yes would be my answer to that question because I felt like the story did not take forever to start. I love the foreshadowing in this book. I would stop and go back and stop and go back to read the details again and again.
The title is great for this book because you do feel... frozen. The characters are deep enough that you know them but not completely whic
Maggie Boyd
Dec 30, 2012 Maggie Boyd rated it really liked it
Bryce Grantham is looking for some peace and quiet when he heads to his families cabin in the North Woods of Wisconsin. His plan? To spend the cold afternoons and evenings working on his novel. But a casual encounter with a young woman at the local bar finds Bryce as the chief suspect in a murder investigation.

Detective Ellie MacIntosh has been working this case for long months with no leads. Her gut tells her that in spite of circumstantial evidence, Bryce is not her man. But then, the deep att
Tonya
Feb 09, 2013 Tonya rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dabblers in mystery reading; low gore factor
Shelves: mystery
Frozen gives us, the reader, for the most part a well paced mystery with characters that engage you but don't really make you believe in them.

Bryce Grantham has just finished attending a conference and thinks to take a relaxing vacation at the family cabin in Northern Wisconsin. October is an odd time for this part of the Midwest as it tends to either be an Autumn paradise or a cold, damp and dreary place to live and visit.
Bryce has more problems ahead than a badly insulated cabin after he sto
Grey Liliy
Jan 27, 2013 Grey Liliy rated it really liked it
I bought this book because the cover had glitter on it.

Granted, I also read the back cover & the storyline of some poor sap being tormented by a serial killer sounded too fun to pass up.

And it pretty much delivered as spelled out on the back cover, so the glitter didn't lie! :D

But really, overall--I had a lot of fun with this one. It's a great story about a guy who didn't even have to dig his own hole--it came pre-dug & with a serial killer more than happy to dig it deeper while simultan
Morgan Wyatt
Feb 11, 2013 Morgan Wyatt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
Ever wonder what you would do if accused of a crime you didn’t commit? What if you happened to be the last person seen with the victim? Even worse is if you are the person who finds the corpse. It is hard to get the police to believe you’re not the killer, especially when you don’t have an alibi. That is the place Bryce Grantham finds himself in Kate Watterson’s newest suspense novel, FROZEN by Tor-Forge books.

Bryce Grantham needs time alone to consider the direction is life is heading after a b
Carol Turznik
Jul 10, 2014 Carol Turznik rated it liked it
Being a Wisconsin native, I thought it would be fun to read a mystery about my own state, but as I got into this book, I realized that the location could have been any desolate woods in a barren winter location. This was a typical "who done it" mystery but done in such a way that I was excited to see who was the killer. If I could, I would have given this 3.5 stars.
Amber Plant
Nov 22, 2014 Amber Plant rated it liked it
I picked this up in a bargain bin and decided to try a new author. The book was pretty good for a debut novel. It did keep me guessing and had a good storyline. The one thing that worked against it was that it was a bit too long. If it had been reduced a bit in size, I think it would have been more fast paced, making it more interesting. I see she came out with another book in the series, I'll keep an eye out for it as I think she will improve as she writes.
Merilee
Jul 16, 2013 Merilee rated it really liked it
My favorite kind of stress-relief reading is a thriller just like this. I've never read this author before and I'm so glad that I did. Intelligent, chilling, with the right mix of engaging characters and frightening action. The chemistry between two of the characters is an added bonus, since it's far from cheesy and complicates the situation. I knew who the killer was, but that did not detract from the story at all. I really enjoyed this author's writing style - I have NO idea why some people di ...more
Emyrose8
Jul 06, 2015 Emyrose8 rated it liked it
Not gonna lie, the cover is what drew me. I thought it was an okay story... not nearly as gripping as all the blurbs make it sound. Still going to read the others in the series!

Note: one bedroom scene and a bunch of swearing
Marianne Stehr
Sep 14, 2014 Marianne Stehr rated it really liked it
This is the first book of this authors that I have read and definitely not the last. Good thriller that was easy to read in one day. Good character development and will easily work well within a series as this is the first in a series.
Marilyne
Je n'arrive pas, après avoir refermé ce livre, à savoir si je l'ai aimé ou non. Je sais que la lecture a été agréable (quoiqu'un peu longue) et que j'ai trouvé l'inspectrice sympa, mais il manquait un plus pour que je tombe totalement dans le truc.
Mais sinon j'ai bien aimé l'ambiance de l'hiver dans le Wisconsin et tout ça, un bon petit thriller pour l'hiver sous un plaid, ça fait pas de mal!
Barbara ★
This book is classified as suspense though I found it lacking until the final few chapters. Honestly I think I've just had it with the cop falling in love/lust (whatever) with the main suspect. This is trite and overdone. There has to be a better way to get the two characters together without using this tired and true way.

Besides that I really thought that Bryce was a boring person and even when he found dead bodies showed little personality. And to be honest, neither did Ellie.

It annoyed me tha
Ollie
Jan 30, 2013 Ollie rated it liked it
Frozen has a intricate plot and is a thrilling book to read. I don't know how the Bryce is not placed in a psych ward with all the mental anguish he suffers. He has gone through a nasty divorce and has gone to his parents home in the mountains for peace and quiet. He plays the good Samaratian and the girl is found dead. From that point on ... the thrill ride is on.

The only down side to this book is that sometimes the author/publisher leaves out words. It takes you a minute to understand why you
Bea
Feb 17, 2013 Bea rated it liked it
Recommended to Bea by: Morgan Ashbury
Although the book starts out quickly, it took me a while to get invested in the story. For a while I thought I knew where it was going then I was worried I knew where it was going. For most of the book, Watterson is ambivalent about who the killer might be and it seemed as if she might pull a fast one and randomly produce a character who turned out to be the killer. While the killer's identity was a surprise, the clues were there. The characters are well drawn and interesting and really make the ...more
Mycoton32
Oct 19, 2014 Mycoton32 rated it really liked it
16/20
En bref, l'auteur signe là un thriller qui nous réserve de belles surprises tout au long de notre lecture. Le suspense est présent du début à la fin, les personnages très sympathiques bien qu'un peu froid parfois et le final plein de rebondissements.

Natzeli Moreno bustamante
Feb 25, 2015 Natzeli Moreno bustamante rated it really liked it
For a book I found at the dollar store I wasn't sure what to expect. I could not put this book down, it made me wonder what I would do if I ever came across a body. Suspenseful but fast paced. Great read
Amber
Apr 26, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
It was very interesting and the ending was very excellent! I think you should read this wonderful book!
Stacy
Jul 27, 2014 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoyed this introduction to a new detective/mystery series set in rural Wisconsin.
Cynthiaj
Sep 04, 2015 Cynthiaj rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Would really like to give this 3 1/2 stars. It took a little to get into but did pick up after about the first third. Ended up enjoying it enough to look at #2 in the series in the future.
John
Jan 07, 2013 John rated it it was ok
I was at the airport getting ready to board a plane and realized I had left all my reading material in my checked luggage. While at a newsstand buying a beverage I decided to pick up a book and this one caught my eye.

The writing was AWFUL, hence the lower rating. However, the story was captivating and I always enjoy a story about tracking down a serial killer.

This story could be the script to a made for TV movie to be featured on the Hallmark channel, and it was definitely written with a female
Rebecca
Mar 19, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Generic suspense, but not too scary. Fast paced enjoyable read.
Caroline Burns
Mar 29, 2016 Caroline Burns rated it liked it
Really, really slow. The author could have gotten by with cutting out about half the content.
Angie
Jan 22, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing
Just found this authors books recently.Can't wait to read more! You'll be guessing until the very end!
2015 Reading Chal...: Frozen by Kate Watterson 1 12 Oct 22, 2015 08:14AM
  • Live and Let Love (Agent Ex, #3)
  • Good People
  • A Deeper Darkness (Dr. Samantha Owens, #1)
  • Left for Dead (Maeve Kerrigan, #0.5)
  • Vile (Faces of Evil, #8)
  • One Last Lesson (DI Angus Henderson #1)
  • Ice Shear (June Lyons, #1)
  • Red Ribbons
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • Murder in Retribution (New Scotland Yard #2)
  • The Body Box (Cold Case Thriller, #1)
  • Evil for Evil (DI Marjory Fleming #7)
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)
  • Disturbing the Dead (Rachel Goddard Mystery, #2)
  • Silent Murders (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #2)
  • Øjesten (Lars Winkler #1)
  • Qualified Immunity (A Casey Cort Novel Book 1)
  • Beloved: A Sensual Noir Thriller
Writing as both Emma Wildes and Katherine Smith, Kate Watterson has over thirty published books to her credit, plus five Eppie nominations, one Eppie win for best historical erotic in 2007, a RWA Lories win, WisRWA 2005 final for best historical romance, and is a CAPA nominee. She loves suspense and to write erotic stories in the genre is a special treat.
More about Kate Watterson...

Detective Ellie MacIntosh (4 books)
  • Charred (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #2)
  • Buried (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #3)
  • Fractured (Detective Ellie MacIntosh #4)