Start by marking “Shooting Star: A Martha's Vineyard Mystery” as Want to Read:
Shooting Star: A Martha's Vineyard Mystery

Shooting Star: A Martha's Vineyard Mystery (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  19 reviews

In Shooting Star, ninety-two-year-old poet Victoria Trumbull becomes embroiled in controversy at the community theater on Martha's Vineyard. The new artistic director has announced plans to replace local amateur talent with off-Island professionals, and the cast and crew react murderously.

Victoria intended the theater's current production, her adaptation of Frankenstein, b
Published May 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Shooting Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shooting Star

Renee Ramos
This was a good, light mystery. Too many characters were introduced at once at the beginning, though, with the author sometimes calling them by their first names and sometimes by their last names, so I got really confused about who was who and almost stopped reading. By the middle of the book I knew each character and was able to enjoy the story. "Shooting Star" reminded me of Agatha Christie books, and some of Carolyn Hart's light murder mysteries like "Set Sail for Murder". I'm not rushing out ...more
Ivonne Rovira
It's been a few years since I'd read one of Cynthia Riggs's Victoria Trumbull novels, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. In it, the perennially 92-year-old poet, sleuth and sage turns her hand to writing a dramatization of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for the local community theater. Victoria is hoping to return the story of man and monster to its classical roots, stripped of the horror-movie clichés and cheap dramatics. The play nearly doesn't go on when the actress portraying Justine is murdere ...more
Leslie
Another fun read. I adore Victoria Trumbull and her adventures on Martha's Vineyard. This one was chock-a-block with people and action along with a variety of motives and results. Bravo Ms. Riggs for promoting kindness to animals!
Olgalijo
Althoough I enjoyed Shooting Star, I had come to expect more from this series. I found it too intrincate, and maybe that the author had tried to match too much the tone of the whole book with the farce that Mrs. Trumbull's play became into.
Leslie
This series is wonderful, and I finished this entry on the front porch over the Labor Day weekend. Although I enjoyed the book, the resolution of the mystery left me thinking, "Huh?" It's possible I was too tired to thoroughly get it, but I enjoy the main characters so much that it's okay for me to not love every moment of every book; often, as with many of these series, the mystery is quite beside the point. But the rhythm of life on Martha's Vineyard is so appealing, and Cynthia Riggs is wonde ...more
Barbara
These are very thoughtful books. They have to be, in a sense, don’t they – with a 90 plus heroine? The mysteries are not cookie cutter (as some cozies can be), a bit convoluted, but not overly so, and the protagonist (or the murderer) is not readily apparent – at least not to me.

This was a quick, easy read, but very enjoyable. Cozies are often quick, easy reads, too – but most often there are so many annoyances along the way that they are not as enjoyable as a book like this (too stupid to live
Grey853
Denise
This novel is one example of the current trend of mysteries featuring so-called "geezer" detectives (thanks to Dixie for keeping up on the latest!); in this case, a 92-year old woman who lives on Martha's Vineyard. I don't think I will read any more in this series; there was too little description of the island and too much talking and repetitive interrogating of the many characters.
Pat
Nov 25, 2007 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This is one of a series of mysteries that are probably called cozies. The "detective" is a 92 year old woman who is more agile and spry than any other 92 year old that yoi probably know, but she is sharp. This is a good example of the series. I liked it, and it is a very quick read.
Lisa
Jun 18, 2009 Lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this. It was ok. It had a weak ending and was confusing the way the author would use the last name of a charter and then switch to the first name. It was hard to keep track of people.

over all a quick read with enough to get you to want to see how it turns out
Lynne
I seem to have jumped into the middle of this mystery series and was looking forward to a feisty 90-something-year-old heroine, but perhaps her personality was defined in an earlier book, because she didn't have much in this one.
Brenda Kirton
Very enjoyable. I love the part where so many people kept coming in the place it seems to me it should resemble one of those phone booths that you try to fit as many people in as possible.
David
A mystery novel which alludes to Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. The twists and turns will leave you gripping the edge of your seat wanting more. All of Cynthia Riggs novels are a MUST.
Mandy Huot
Although this was my first book by Riggs, I enjoyed it very much. It had just enough of a mystery sense to keep you on your toes, but it was lighthearted and a very easy read.
Gloria Mccracken
Elderly but tough Victoria Trumbull does it again in this fast-moving and at times very amusing mystery. Lots of fun with interesting and sometimes wildly eccentric characters.
Barbara
I enjoy this entire series! I love the way Cynthia Riggs developes her characters and carries several from one book to the next making this a true series.
Dale
I ove this series write more fastest Vistoria is smart and up to dated and cape Cod setting wonderful
Consuela
More Victoria Trumbull -- the 92-year-old detective! love it!
Kathleen
See previous comments.
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Lindsey Albrektson
Lindsey Albrektson marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
♥Juvia♥
♥Juvia♥ marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Amy ~Lover of Books~
Amy ~Lover of Books~ marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)
  • Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #12)
  • Seeking Philbert Woodbead (Fairweather Sisters, #2)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)
  • Hula Done It? (Passport to Peril, #4)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire
  • The Devil's Ribbon
  • Keeping Time
  • Death of an Addict (Hamish Macbeth, #15)
  • Belonging
  • Hot Chocolate
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • A Cookbook Conspiracy (A Bibliophile Mystery, #7)
  • Size Matters (Handcuffs and Happily Ever Afters, #2)
  • A Perfect Square (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #2)
  • The Glass Guardian
Cynthia Riggs, a tall gray-haired and imposing figure, is a 13th generation Islander, the mother of five and daughter of author and poet Dionis Coffin Riggs and school principal and printmaker Sidney N. Riggs.

With a degree in geology, her own remarkable resumé -- writing for the National Geographic Society and Smithsonian (she spent two months in Antarctica), working in public relations for the Am
More about Cynthia Riggs...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2)
  • The Cemetery Yew
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5)
  • Indian Pipes (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #6)
  • Death and Honesty (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #8)
  • Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)
  • The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)
  • Poison Ivy: A Martha's Vineyard Mystery (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #11)
Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1) The Cemetery Yew The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2) The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5) Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)