Start by marking “A Death in Texas: A Story of Race, Murder and a Small Town's Struggle for Redemption” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An extraordinary account of how a small Texas town struggled to come to grips with its racist past in the aftermath of the brutal murder of James Byrd, Jr.

On June 7, 1998, a forty-nine-year-old black man named James Byrd, Jr., was chained to the bumper of a truck and dragged three miles down a country road by a trio of young white men. It didn't take long for the residents
Published January 2nd 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Death in Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Death in Texas

Dan Chance
I had heard of the murder of a black man by dragging him behind a pick up but I didn't know the details before reading this book. I was horrified to learn that the black man's head had popped off his body at one point. The town was complicit in the values that nurtured the inhumanity and casual violence that might have been passed off as roughhousing and forgotten if the black man had survived. As time passed the two (or was it more) convictions were forgotten and the town went back to sleep in ...more
Elizabeth C L
Being from the area where this murder took place, I felt Ms. Temple-Raston's view a bit skewed. I found myself being annoyed at times by the martyrdom of the man who suffered a horrendous death at the hands of some ignorant racists. There is still a lot of hate both in Southeast Texas as well as most places in the 'bible belt' and it that was evident in the book. It was interesting to have an outsider's perspective.
LucidStyle
After recently spending time learning about Emmett Till's murder in 1955, I stumbled by complete happenstance across this book and felt pulled to it. Till is referenced in the book more than once. One wonders, just how long is 43 years?

This work displays excellent objective and sensitive writing. The flowing narrative is pleasantly descriptive and when it needs to be, stark. The author focuses on the connection the townspeople have with their history and landscape in an attempt to reveal an und
April
I was in the mood for a true crime book at the library the other day so I grabbed this one off the shelf as I thought I remembered hearing about this crime when it happened. It’s the story of a small town in Texas where 3 white men dragged a black man to death not that long ago (just over 10 years ago now).
I finished reading this one feeling like it had just skimmed the surface. The story just didn’t seem complete. I felt that I barely knew more about the case than what I had already known going
Kirsti
An account of the horrific dragging death of James Byrd Jr. The author is an NPR reporter who has worked as a foreign correspondent and for Bloomberg Business News. Not surprisingly, she is earnest and sincere in reporting this story, rather than overemotional and self-aggrandizing, as many reporters would have been in her place. She also treats the piney woods of East Texas as if they were a foreign country.

"Death has a way of making even slow people hurry. It scares them into seeing things the
Catten
I was living in Houston in 1998 when I heard about the dragging death in Jasper, 125 miles away in East Texas. That it was a race-related crime was clear, but the aftermath that Jasper's citizens went through rarely even made news in Houston. This book brings it all into sharp focus.

Early the morning of June 7, 1998, 49-year-old James Byrd, Jr. left a friend's house to walk home from a night of partying. "You watch. James Byrd, he's going out in style," Byrd said as he left the party. "The name
Patty Mar
Total non-fiction account of race and murder in small town Texas. Published in 2002; forces one to think about racial prejudice, even now.
Abigail
Another of my favorite true crime books. Extensively researched, very well-written about the highly-publicized dragging death of a black man by 3 white men in Texas. This book delves into the problem of gangs (especially white supremacist gangs) in prison, and is extremely provocative in terms of race relations. The town where this happened still had (has?) segragated cemetaries in 2000!
Molly
If I taught creative nonfiction, I think I would include this book, or one a great deal like it, in my course list. The story is well paced, with just enough flash-forwards and flash-backs, cleverly placed, to reveal the whole of the story--or the whole that any outsider can tell. Her use of other voices is also prime for class discussion.
Andy
A pretty even-handed account of the Jasper case. The author does a good job of detailing how various politicians used this event as a tool. I liked the parts of the book describing the people involved in the crime most of all, and wished the book had more of that.
Brian
Just awful. Bad writing by someone who, it seemed, should never have flown down there to look around. Her outsider perspective did not help in the telling, and I wasn't convinced of her respect for her subject(s).
Victoria
Sep 16, 2007 Victoria rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all americans
A must read for every American. Frightening, and embarassing, part of our history that could teach us all a lesson in some way.
Cassie
Very interesting history of a racial hate crime in Jaspar, TX. Well worth the read.
Ginger
Incredible and heartbreaking!
Brandelyn
I found this very moving and scary.
K Jackson
K Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Leia
Leia marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Imani
Imani marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Jalia
Jalia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Liz Stiverson
Liz Stiverson marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Katie Nolan
Katie Nolan marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
  • Wicked History Of The World
  • A Treasury of Victorian Murder
  • The Great Fire of London: In That Apocalyptic Year, 1666
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Somebody Told Me: The Newspaper Stories of Rick Bragg
  • Reasons To Be Cheerful
  • Witsec: Inside the Federal Witness Protection Program
  • Hard News: Twenty-one Brutal Months at The New York Times and How They Changed the American Media
  • Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator
  • Tangled Webs: How False Statements are Undermining America: From Martha Stewart to Bernie Madoff
  • The Age of Anxiety: McCarthyism to Terrorism
  • Queen Pin
  • Lethal Passage: The Story of a Gun
  • Blood Done Sign My Name: A True Story
  • Popular Crime: Reflections on the Celebration of Violence
  • Can't Remember What I Forgot: The Good News from the Front Lines of Memory Research
  • In a Child's Name: The Legacy of a Mother's Murder
  • Terra Nullius: A Journey Through No One's Land
The Jihad Next Door: The Lackawanna Six and Rough Justice in an Age of Terror Justice on the Grass: Three Rwandan Journalists, Their Trial for War Crimes and a Nation's Quest for Redemption Not Just Another Buffalo Soldier: America's First Battle Against Homegrown Islamic Terrorism Justice on the Grass: Three Rwandan Journalists, Their Trial for War Crimes and a Nation's Quest for Redemption In Defense of Our America: The Fight for Civil Liberties in the Age of Terror