Start by marking “Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices” as Want to Read:
Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices

Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices

A honeybee and a bumblebee have a chat.
A rose offers a worm a bit of its compost.
A mouse assures a root of its importance.

These fun rhyming poems for two voices are blooming, bursting, and buzzing with personality. Eugene Yelchin’s stunning illustrations beautifully accent Carole Gerber’s unusual conversations. Together, they offer a close-up view of the plant and insect w
Published February 5th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!

Nov 26, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 520info, 520poetry
I am always on the lookout for engaging books that bring science to life for young children. My most recent find, Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices by Carole Gerber, Eugene Yelchin, would be a perfect addition for early childhood through elementary school classrooms. This collection of nature poems invite children into imagined conversations of nature to share information about how seeds germinate, how seeds travel or the importance of the roots of a plant. I particularly ...more
Rachel Friel
Apr 24, 2016 Rachel Friel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This book includes a collection of several short, 1-2 page poems, related to nature, insects, plants, and flowers. Each poem is separate from one another. There are a total of 18 poems in the book. At the end of the book the author includes an informational summary with the accurate explanation of pollination, how seeds travel, plant growth and life, and more.
This book and its numerous poems will be wonderful to use in a classroom. It includes personification as well as great science content. Th
Memory Kopp
Feb 18, 2014 Memory Kopp rated it really liked it
This is a great poetry book intended to be read in pairs. Carole Gerber sets up these poems in a great way using color coding for reading to take turns from person to person. Each person has their own color to read and when the colors are combined then they read in unison. This can make for even more fun and excitement when reading these poems. The themes of all the poems in this book are based around the plant, animal and insect worlds. They are packed with tons of useful information told in an ...more
Kristen Badger
Jul 22, 2014 Kristen Badger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: schl-5200, primary
Gerber, C. (2013). Seeds, bees, butterflies, and more!: poems for two voices. New York: Henry Holt and Co.

This brilliant poetry book was written for two readers. Text is in two colors so reader's can differentiate between the reading parts.

Teachers could use this book to teach students about poetry. This book would also be good to use to teach students about fluency and prosody when reading aloud. This book would also be great for units about plant, flowers, pollination, bees and nature.

Primar
Sarah Wilbern
Sep 24, 2014 Sarah Wilbern rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Gerber, C. (2013). Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More! New York: Henry Holt and Company.
Reviewed by School Library Journal
Poetry

This book was very colorful, and very easy to read. The poems were set up where two people took turns reading the different poems. The lines of the poems were short enough, and easy enough to be read by younger children. The poems were all related to one another because they all dealt with science and how things grew, and showed all the different life cycles. It showed
Sandy Brehl
Poems for two voices are ideal in so many ways, and these combine high quality rhymed/metered verses with authentic content, voice, personification, and point of view. Add to that appealing and enhancing illustrations on an important core topic, and this is a book that should spend more time in hands than on a shelf.
Wendee Vezzetti
Jul 21, 2014 Wendee Vezzetti rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grade K and up
Shelves: schl-5200
SUMMARY:
At the first read, I really didn't like the alternating voices. But the more I read it, the more I like it. I especially like how it explains the story of how seeds are transmitted to create new plants - birds, pollination, etc. AJ (2.5 years) especially liked the illustrations which at his age kept his attention. Yet toward the end of the book he would lose it. So therefore, it is more for the grade K reader and up.

AGES: Primary - Preschool - 3rd

COPYRIGHT: 2013

PUBLISHER: Henry Holt and
Linda
All one needs to start a garden unit of learning is this book! Each poem will start the questioning, and research will help find the answers as to why each poem says what it does. For example, on the page with “New Shoot”, the first voice asks: “Will you be up soon?/I feel sure you’ll be cute.” and the second replies: “My roots are growing as we speak./I’m about to pop my shoot./Thanks for your concern though./Will we meet when I come out?” There is more talk, also accompanied by a large rabbit, ...more
D'metria
This is a good book for teaching about adjectives, animals, communication, the environment, repetition and rhyming. This book also provides good vocabulary words.
Caitlyn Nicole
Oct 20, 2015 Caitlyn Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Gerber, Carole. (2013). Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More. New York: Henry Holt and Company, LLC.
Setting: Gardens, Valleys, Mountains, Outdoors in general
Genre: Children's Poetry

Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More is a science based collection of poems for children. Each poem in the book centers on a science topic such as the following: seeds, roots, insects, tress, dirt, flowers, and etc. I would use this book in my kindergarten classroom as a hook for a science lesson. I would also use the po
Karen Dransfield
Apr 09, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
I am currently working on a poetry project for teaching young children. This is one of the books I picked up at the library. The book is full of poems about plants, insects and their lives. Each short poem picks a topic and talks about it. Caterpillars eating milkweed, seeds growing underground, flowers and seed pods, ladybirds eating aphids etc. A great collection of poems to share. Would be a great read if just finishing a unit on bugs and insects.. or life cycles. I plan to share a couple of ...more
Lisa E
Oct 06, 2014 Lisa E rated it liked it
Shelves: libs642
Gerber, C. (2013). Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!New York: Henry Holt and Company.

School Library Journal (2013).

Book Soak Category.

Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More is a poetry book that is focused on the world of plants, animals insect. There are many topics in the book that I could see using in the classroom with kids for example topics on pollination, new plants, etc. The book is intended for students K-3. I found it a very informational picture book as well as enjoyed the poetry.
Dominique Andrich
Sep 15, 2015 Dominique Andrich rated it it was amazing
This collection of two voice poems has been illustrated with vivid colors and a sense of realism that make the book a joy to look through. The fact that each poem requires two individuals to read it allows for students to interact on a creative and literary level. By having a rhythmic beat and an overlap in another subject (science), it allows the book to be that much more engaging to the readers.
Angelina
I think this book was amazing because it teaches kids poetry and also
Helps them learn plus my class mates did some of the poems like Honeybee Dance,who,s their,New Baby,now where sleepy,seedlings,hitchhiker,we can fly,and more the people that did those poams were Adrianna,Jasmine,Izzy,Marcus,Elliot,Brandon,Gavin,Hadrian,Daniel,Riley,Morgan,Makayla,Devin and me.
Lorraine
Nov 26, 2014 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, zz2014, plants
A great book about plants and insects and gardening. Written as poems that are conversations between two organisms (eg bumble bee and honey bee, flower and worm, two seeds, rabbit and seedling, etc), they are meant to be read by two people. A great way to share bedtime reading -- parent and child. So sweet, and educational, too. Great pictures.
Angela Jones
Oct 02, 2014 Angela Jones rated it liked it
Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices is an adorable book for elementary children. The poems are cleverly written and have adorable illustrations to go along with them. This book is perfect for kids to partner together and practice reading! There are several ways in which you could incorporate this book into your classroom.
Ivy Howey
Come on a journey through the garden and explore the creatures that abound! Don't forget to bring a friend, because these poems are meant for two people to share. Gerber, C. (2013) Seeds, bees, butterflies, and more! : poems for two voices; Henry Holt and Co

This is a book that I would recommend to teachers starting a unit in Science that is covering the life cycle or to show different styles of poetry.

Booklist 01/01/13
Kirkus Reviews 01/01/13
Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 04/01/13
Lib
Barbara
Apr 07, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and wonderful poems meant to be read by two persons alternately. Great Springtime read-aloud for teachers or parents who want to teach children about the beauty of nature and share a love of poetry. The subject of the poems range from seed dispersal, to parts of a plant, insects, pollinators, and flowers.
Asia Canady
Jun 18, 2014 Asia Canady rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-sets
I really think this is a great text to reference when I teach my second graders about Classroom Plants and Butterflies. It's a fun and interactive poetry book that is engaging and covers a lot of content.
Mckenzie
Oct 07, 2014 Mckenzie rated it really liked it
This book was so fun! The poems were short and simple to read. It would be perfect for young children to prepare and perform together. The artwork was also extremely fun to look at.
Scott
Jul 31, 2014 Scott rated it liked it
I feel like many of these poems would work better as a single person read, with the split done for novelties sake. The illustrations are nice and bright, but not particularly stand out.
Holly
This is just a happy book. The vibrant colors, the poems for two voices, the facts about seeds, bees, and butterflies all add up to make a spring book bursting with joy.
Christina
Jun 15, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing
This book is GREAT! I want my own copy. Lovely poems for two voices - great for any classroom or frama/lit club for kids. The science content is excellent as well.
Angie
May 27, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Maybe five. I'll probably come back and give it five. Fun poems that share information. And colorful illustrations. Win!
Melissa Mcavoy
Nice conceit-poems for two readers. Light- nice illustrations, ok poetry.
Kaylee Weems
Nov 02, 2015 Kaylee Weems rated it really liked it
Love this book! Very interesting pictures and facts.
Abby Johnson
Feb 16, 2013 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it
Fun poems about plants, growing, pollination, etc. are paired with exuberant artwork in this collection. My one small beef is that I always wish for more information included about particular species, etc. but I can see, stylistically, that including such blurbs might have detracted from the beautiful illustrations. For science information, you'll need to pair this book with something else, but on its own it's a glorious celebration of spring and shouldn't be missed!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Poems for two (or more) voices have been popular since Paul Fleischman's Joyful Noise<\i> was published back in 1988. In this book all the poems are about plants and insects, and the relationships between the two. Children can have fun performing the poems and learn something at the same time. Lines of poetry are color-coded to make it easier for performers to know their parts. The author provides information at the end of the book on how seeds germinate and how insects help in the process ...more
Oct 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Great book for students to interact in a group. The poems are short and easy to read.
Michele Knott
Jul 06, 2014 Michele Knott rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2014
Beautiful poems that will be fun for young readers to read aloud together since each poem is written for 2 voices. There are several poems about seeds, flowers, bees, and butterflies. At the end of the book, the author ties all of them together by showing how each thing depends on the other to grow!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
  • In the Sea
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature