Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices

Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A honeybee and a bumblebee have a chat.
A rose offers a worm a bit of its compost.
A mouse assures a root of its importance.

These fun rhyming poems for two voices are blooming, bursting, and buzzing with personality. Eugene Yelchin’s stunning illustrations beautifully accent Carole Gerber’s unusual conversations. Together, they offer a close-up view of the plant and insect w...more
Published February 5th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!

Memory Kopp
This is a great poetry book intended to be read in pairs. Carole Gerber sets up these poems in a great way using color coding for reading to take turns from person to person. Each person has their own color to read and when the colors are combined then they read in unison. This can make for even more fun and excitement when reading these poems. The themes of all the poems in this book are based around the plant, animal and insect worlds. They are packed with tons of useful information told in an...more
Kristen Badger
Gerber, C. (2013). Seeds, bees, butterflies, and more!: poems for two voices. New York: Henry Holt and Co.

This brilliant poetry book was written for two readers. Text is in two colors so reader's can differentiate between the reading parts.

Teachers could use this book to teach students about poetry. This book would also be good to use to teach students about fluency and prosody when reading aloud. This book would also be great for units about plant, flowers, pollination, bees and nature.

Primar...more
Wendee Vezzetti
Jul 21, 2014 Wendee Vezzetti rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grade K and up
Shelves: schl-5200
SUMMARY:
At the first read, I really didn't like the alternating voices. But the more I read it, the more I like it. I especially like how it explains the story of how seeds are transmitted to create new plants - birds, pollination, etc. AJ (2.5 years) especially liked the illustrations which at his age kept his attention. Yet toward the end of the book he would lose it. So therefore, it is more for the grade K reader and up.

AGES: Primary - Preschool - 3rd

COPYRIGHT: 2013

PUBLISHER: Henry Holt and...more
Linda
All one needs to start a garden unit of learning is this book! Each poem will start the questioning, and research will help find the answers as to why each poem says what it does. For example, on the page with “New Shoot”, the first voice asks: “Will you be up soon?/I feel sure you’ll be cute.” and the second replies: “My roots are growing as we speak./I’m about to pop my shoot./Thanks for your concern though./Will we meet when I come out?” There is more talk, also accompanied by a large rabbit,...more
D'metria
This is a good book for teaching about adjectives, animals, communication, the environment, repetition and rhyming. This book also provides good vocabulary words.
Ivy Howey
Come on a journey through the garden and explore the creatures that abound! Don't forget to bring a friend, because these poems are meant for two people to share. Gerber, C. (2013) Seeds, bees, butterflies, and more! : poems for two voices; Henry Holt and Co

This is a book that I would recommend to teachers starting a unit in Science that is covering the life cycle or to show different styles of poetry.

Booklist 01/01/13
Kirkus Reviews 01/01/13
Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books 04/01/13
Lib...more
Barbara
Beautiful illustrations and wonderful poems meant to be read by two persons alternately. Great Springtime read-aloud for teachers or parents who want to teach children about the beauty of nature and share a love of poetry. The subject of the poems range from seed dispersal, to parts of a plant, insects, pollinators, and flowers.
Asia Canady
I really think this is a great text to reference when I teach my second graders about Classroom Plants and Butterflies. It's a fun and interactive poetry book that is engaging and covers a lot of content.
Scott
I feel like many of these poems would work better as a single person read, with the split done for novelties sake. The illustrations are nice and bright, but not particularly stand out.
Holly
This is just a happy book. The vibrant colors, the poems for two voices, the facts about seeds, bees, and butterflies all add up to make a spring book bursting with joy.
Abby Johnson
Fun poems about plants, growing, pollination, etc. are paired with exuberant artwork in this collection. My one small beef is that I always wish for more information included about particular species, etc. but I can see, stylistically, that including such blurbs might have detracted from the beautiful illustrations. For science information, you'll need to pair this book with something else, but on its own it's a glorious celebration of spring and shouldn't be missed!

Mrs. Knott
Beautiful poems that will be fun for young readers to read aloud together since each poem is written for 2 voices. There are several poems about seeds, flowers, bees, and butterflies. At the end of the book, the author ties all of them together by showing how each thing depends on the other to grow!
Laura Salas
These poems for two voices all about garden/yard characters are wonderful and whimsical. Kids will have a blast performing them--they're funny and full of facts. And the art is fabulous! It's bright and childlike and colorful--I love it. I have occasional issues with the meter, but this is a really kid-friendly collection that would be great in the classroom.
Sandy Brehl
Poems for two voices are ideal in so many ways, and these combine high quality rhymed/metered verses with authentic content, voice, personification, and point of view. Add to that appealing and enhancing illustrations on an important core topic, and this is a book that should send more time in hands than on a shelf.
Kate
Loved reading this book to my grandchildren!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
My 5th graders LOVED this book. Everyone of them wanted to read a poem aloud with someone else. Their enthusiasm was contagious and this book is a great addition to a classroom poetry collection.
Liz
I love poems for two voices! Good information about plants and insects. A little bit about the whole plant process on a page in the back. Will be fun to use these with students in the classroom.
Jess
This would be a great book of nature poems to share with children. Parent reading one part and the child reading the other part. A nice book to pair with other science texts.
Sharon Lawler
This is an excellent choice for introducing the technique of two voices in poetry. Kids will have a great time reenacting the conversations!
Trish
Jun 24, 2014 Trish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014, je
This is a great poetry book about nature. Two people are suppose to read a poem. It is very fun.
Edward Sullivan
Informative and fun rhyming poems to be read aloud by two voices. Perfect for celebrating spring.
Tracey G
such a cute book. i always end up reading these children poetry books :)
Mary Lee
Reviewed on the blog 8/20/13

Summer #bookaday 63
Rhonda
Rhonda added it
Aug 11, 2014
Jenny Lussier
Jenny Lussier marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Leaf Jumpers Winter Trees Spring Blossoms Annie Jump Cannon, Astronomer Little Red Bat