Start by marking “Dead Space: Catalyst (Dead Space Series)” as Want to Read:
Dead Space: Catalyst (Dead Space Series)

Dead Space: Catalyst (Dead Space)

A second tie-in novel to the popular video game "Dead Space".
Published October 2nd 2012 by Tor Books (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Space

Tracy
Jul 29, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
After reading Dead Space: Martyr a book I really enjoyed I went looking for more Dead Space books. Searching the internet I discovered it was a video game so it surprised me more to discover how well the book was written.
Well at the book store I discovered Dead Space Catalyst and was excited to start reading as I enjoyed the first one so much. I was not disappointed. Dead Space Catalyst is extremely well written with Characters and a Plot that was believable. The Plot through the whole book jus
Jimmy
Feb 25, 2015 Jimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
Minor spoilers about the pacing below.

Approximately 2/3 of the book was in my opinion part of the intro, and even though it really got going towards the end I felt that it was just too late - The intro dragged on for too long and got a bit slow.
I debated giving a 4 stars instead because of how the suspense picks up later on but after spending so many pages just wishing for the "real" story to begin I settled for a 3 stars.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dead Space: Catalyst (Dead Space #2), Brian Evenson, B.K. Evenson
Achtung Englander
This is the second book by B.K. Evenson set in the Dead Space universe and is again a prequel to the first game. Unlike the first book which establishes the universe, the history of the Marker and the religion of Unitology set around its unwilling martyr Michael Altman, this is a story that is stand alone and does not add anything new to the canon.

It is about two brothers who find their lives intertwined with signals from the Markers. The novel certainly has high points especially in the last t
Nick Lawton
Jan 09, 2015 Nick Lawton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great "Dead Space" Work!

Fans of the "Dead Space" game have officially found their literary home in B.K. Evenson. I finished reading his first "Dead Space" book, "Martyr," and knew I had to come back for more.

Benson's pacing is perfect for a literary adaptation of such a suspenseful game. He keeps the plot and action moving. He doesn't sacrifice painting a world for the reader as he does so while at the same time not getting bogged down in minute description of everything in the scene.

Eve
Nate
Jun 04, 2013 Nate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror
The protagonist is likable, if a little... disturbingly unaffected at times by the awful things happening around him, or the awful things he had to do. I suspect this was a result of a tight deadline, though; some passages showed him being really broken up by events, so the author likely just didn't have the time to focus on the character's emotional trauma at every turn.

The story is engaging, albeit rather slow-paced. The Necromorphs don't even show up until the last third of the book or so. St
Nolan Westmore
May 22, 2015 Nolan Westmore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: game-books
This book really continued on the feeling generated by the first book, Dead Space: Martyr.

The story felt the same as well and if one can compare the sequence of events to the other, than it is possible to compare them by about the time where shite hits the fan. Both of the books were good at building the suspense and linking the presence of the markers to the events happening at stations and other places.

Interesting, to say the least, I would definitely read a third installment should one come a
Sarahlynn Lester
I love Sci Fi but this was not what I expected or what I wanted (why did it come up in a search for books having to do with the Yucatan and the Maya?). I'm glad I read it after returning home from our trip; this is not a vacation read. Unless your vacation is way too fun and you're trying to temper that a bit.
Mishmeer
As a fan of the games I couldn't not like this book. That said its a smidge messy, but there's a sort of beauty in it that suits the tone of the games really well. Unexpectedly, there's a sympathetic and insightful caricature of mental illness in Istvan that made this book all the more unique and compelling.
Brittany Adelle
Apr 24, 2013 Brittany Adelle rated it really liked it
The first novel in this series was better. The characters and plot were more developed and felt more like a Dead Space based book. But I can't get over how much I love this author's style! keep it up BK Evenson!
AbsolutelyRainbow
Mar 19, 2017 AbsolutelyRainbow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dead Space fans
If you liked Martyr then Catalyst is perhaps going to be just as good. Just drop any long-term significance on the overall plot and we're set.

The problem with Catalyst is that, unlike Martyr, it doesn't cover any new ground (or adds anything new to the universe) and is in many regards the same kind of story. So similar that you might be actually able to compare them, of course. The good thing is that Brian Evenson's writing has not taken a hit downhill nor is noticeably better. Istvan's point of
C.T. Phipps
Feb 16, 2016 C.T. Phipps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grimdark
Dead Space: Catalyst is an excellent book with a really awful opening. The writing isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it's a bit of a case of the author doing a set up which is far removed from the premise of what the audience came here to enjoy. For those who may be put off by the introduction, I encourage readers to stick with it as you'll be rewarded with plenty of traditional Dead Space fun with Unitologists, Necromorphs, Markers, action, and horror.

The premise of the book is brothers Ista
Michelle Quinn
May 24, 2015 Michelle Quinn rated it liked it
Dead Space: Catalyst is a book based off the popular game Dead Space. I really enjoyed the story, the character and the book overall. I did have some problems, especially with the world but I guess that if I had actually played the game before reading the book (or at least tried to play more than the first 30 minutes I usually play before dying multiple times and dying) I would've understand it better, or maybe a little map would help. Another very small thing that bothered me just when I was re ...more
Menoedh
First book I finished in 2015!

First of all, I want to say that this book was easier and more fun to read than the previous “Martyr” from the Dead Space series. I believe Evenson’s little wiggle room in "Martyr" is the reason, seeing how he needed to focus on the canon history of the Dead Space universe, while this book is more of a side-story where Evenson probably had more creative freedom.

At first, I had a bit of problem with how the background story was written. I thought it was a little bi
Aaron Not Now
the one and only book I read from the Dead space series. Although the overall premise of the cover shows hopelessness in the face of immanent doom the book had a nice sense of survival mixed in with brotherly love. although the journey was long and hypnotically engaging the ending on the greater scheme seems to want to follow most of the DLC spin offs in the game series. I do like the semi realistic human limits depicted in this book but aside from the internal references to the various tools an ...more
travis williams
Oct 22, 2015 travis williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All hail the marker

I gave dead space catalyst four stars because I like the story in this book I mean the lengths jensi went for his brother Istvan was astonishing at best I mean after everything they went through I was something and with dead space it always leaves you a little puzzled at the end with the whole alien worship belief in the black and red marker just amazing to me now for what I didn't like was how little they get into the alien worship belief takeover I mean come on people can't
Michelle
Feb 23, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Nick Raines
Finished with this one, it dragged here and there but all in all it was a decent book. If you like the Dead Space games then it is worth a read to get another experiment on the marker gone wrong, insanity and suicide rates increase exponentially in the secret prison colony after the marker gains power. We get two perspectives in this story, one is Istvan who is chosen by the marker to be a prophet of sorts and Jensi his brother who has to scour the universe after his brother is sent to the secre ...more
Nate
Dec 03, 2012 Nate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror
Not bad. A perfectly reasonable addition to the Dead Space mythos. I did think that the book took longer than necessary to get to the action, although the writing was strong enough to keep me interested as the pieces were put into place. The action was pretty good, though. My biggest complaint, I think, would be that several plot threads were left dangling at the end of the book. The main character's plot resolved, but several side plots remained. I would have preferred that everything introduce ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
I was quite torn on this book. On its own it's an entertaining horror novel, as a Dead Space book it leaves a bit to be desired. It does take quite a while to get going. For the first 200 pages it was hard to realize the book was even science fiction, let alone a Dead Space novel. That's not to say that it's boring or unenjoyable, it just didn't fit with what I was expecting. Also this book doesn't seem to add very much to the Dead Space universe, unlike the first book. It was mildly disappointi ...more
Erik Tharp
Aug 06, 2013 Erik Tharp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love DeadSpace series then you wont be disapointed. Brian Evenson did a very well job at writing this novel and kept the suspense going, a bit of a slow start but thats just good character build up, kinda disapointed tho since this book left things unaswered just like the first. And like the first MARTYR the end is left up to your imagination to conclude what actually happens next. My hope is that this is just still the begining of many more of these tales from the DeadSpace series...... ...more
Rodrigo
Jul 24, 2015 Rodrigo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To my personal preferences i found this book very heavy to read, mostly at the beggining of the book, i would dare to say; a lot of character development. Until almost the end of the book things start to get in motion, i could just have read it from there and wouldnt have lost much. But its in my personal opinion. Worth a try.
Fern
Sep 17, 2015 Fern rated it really liked it
A good continuation of the Dead Space story. Kinda sad with some action here and there. Some might think it takes a while for it to pick up, but I liked the brothers' back story. My brother said it was more messed up than Martyr, but I don't see it. Worth a read if you like Dead Space or looking for a horror books for October.
Jared
Oct 07, 2015 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It was alright. I felt it could have used more necromorphs. It felt a bit awkward towards the end as the climax was fairly meh. Everyone died which sucked and I never felt particularly connected to any of he characters.
Matthew Ye
This book is good but it could have been better. The story about Jensi and Istvan was good at first but the ending is a disappointing ending. I would prefer to had the story had a little bit with Issac Clarke. But in all, it was a good story.
Alex Messenger
As with the Dead Space book before it, an adequate read that does keep you engaged till the end, but nothing spectacular. Works to enforce the lore of the Dead Space universe but is a bit similar to the first book and not much new.
Chelsey Middleton
Well there's really not that much to say. I love the video games so I tired the book out. I like it but was a little upset that nothing really happened that was exciting till like the very end of the book. I liked it enough that I think I would be checking out other books like this one.
Brendan
Jun 26, 2015 Brendan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flew through this book!!! Loved every second of it. Kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Definitely describes the creatures well in comparison to how they are in the game. The book makes me want to go play the games again.
Aaron Weber
Sep 26, 2012 Aaron Weber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Catalyst for me didn't have as much purpose as Martyr but instead turned out to be just another story within the Dead Space universe that was fairly written.

If you're looking for more Dead Space you will certainly find it here, but don't expect the next Isaac or Altman.
Jonathan
Aug 30, 2013 Jonathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-tie-in
Not bad, but not great. For the most part, it does emulate a similar atmosphere for the first two games. But there is something about the general writing style that falls short of its predecessor and source material.
  • Dead Space: Salvage
  • Dead Space: Liberation
  • Alan Wake
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
  • Darksiders: The Abomination Vault
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls, #1)
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Fable: Blood Ties
  • Infernal Sky (Doom #3)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Code: Veronica  (Resident Evil, #6)
  • Scales of the Serpent (Diablo: The Sin War, #2)
  • Borderlands: Unconquered

Dead Space (5 books)
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Dead Space: Salvage