Start by marking “Dead Space: Catalyst” as Want to Read:
Dead Space: Catalyst

Dead Space: Catalyst (Dead Space)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Two hundred and fifty years in the future, extinction threatens mankind. Tampering with dangerous technology from the Black Marker—an ancient alien artifact discovered on Earth eighty years earlier— Earthgov hopes to save humanity. But the Marker’s influence reanimates corpses into grotesque rampaging nightmares.Steeped in desperation, deceit, and hubris, the history of th ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Tor Books (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Space

Tracy
After reading Dead Space: Martyr a book I really enjoyed I went looking for more Dead Space books. Searching the internet I discovered it was a video game so it surprised me more to discover how well the book was written.
Well at the book store I discovered Dead Space Catalyst and was excited to start reading as I enjoyed the first one so much. I was not disappointed. Dead Space Catalyst is extremely well written with Characters and a Plot that was believable. The Plot through the whole book jus
Nate
The protagonist is likable, if a little... disturbingly unaffected at times by the awful things happening around him, or the awful things he had to do. I suspect this was a result of a tight deadline, though; some passages showed him being really broken up by events, so the author likely just didn't have the time to focus on the character's emotional trauma at every turn.

The story is engaging, albeit rather slow-paced. The Necromorphs don't even show up until the last third of the book or so. St
Jimmy
Minor spoilers about the pacing below.

Approximately 2/3 of the book was in my opinion part of the intro, and even though it really got going towards the end I felt that it was just too late - The intro dragged on for too long and got a bit slow.
I debated giving a 4/5 instead because of how the suspense picks up later on but after spending so many pages just wishing for the "real" story to begin I settled for a 3/5.
Aaron F-is for now
the one and only book I read from the Dead space series. Although the overall premise of the cover shows hopelessness in the face of immanent doom the book had a nice sense of survival mixed in with brotherly love. although the journey was long and hypnotically engaging the ending on the greater scheme seems to want to follow most of the DLC spin offs in the game series. I do like the semi realistic human limits depicted in this book but aside from the internal references to the various tools an ...more
Nick Lawton
Another Great "Dead Space" Work!

Fans of the "Dead Space" game have officially found their literary home in B.K. Evenson. I finished reading his first "Dead Space" book, "Martyr," and knew I had to come back for more.

Benson's pacing is perfect for a literary adaptation of such a suspenseful game. He keeps the plot and action moving. He doesn't sacrifice painting a world for the reader as he does so while at the same time not getting bogged down in minute description of everything in the scene.

Eve
Michelle
Brittany Adelle
The first novel in this series was better. The characters and plot were more developed and felt more like a Dead Space based book. But I can't get over how much I love this author's style! keep it up BK Evenson!
Nolan Westmore
This book really continued on the feeling generated by the first book, Dead Space: Martyr.

The story felt the same as well and if one can compare the sequence of events to the other, than it is possible to compare them by about the time where shite hits the fan. Both of the books were good at building the suspense and linking the presence of the markers to the events happening at stations and other places.

Interesting, to say the least, I would definitely read a third installment should one come a
Menoedh
First book I finished in 2015!

First of all, I want to say that this book was easier and more fun to read than the previous “Martyr” from the Dead Space series. I believe Evenson’s little wiggle room in "Martyr" is the reason, seeing how he needed to focus on the canon history of the Dead Space universe, while this book is more of a side-story where Evenson probably had more creative freedom.

At first, I had a bit of problem with how the background story was written. I thought it was a little bi
Achtung Englander
This is the second book by B.K. Evenson set in the Dead Space universe and is again a prequel to the first game. Unlike the first book which establishes the universe, the history of the Marker and the religion of Unitology set around its unwilling martyr Michael Altman, this is a story that is stand alone and does not add anything new to the canon.

It is about two brothers who find their lives intertwined with signals from the Markers. The novel certainly has high points especially in the last t
Mishmeer
As a fan of the games I couldn't not like this book. That said its a smidge messy, but there's a sort of beauty in it that suits the tone of the games really well. Unexpectedly, there's a sympathetic and insightful caricature of mental illness in Istvan that made this book all the more unique and compelling.
Alex Messenger
As with the Dead Space book before it, an adequate read that does keep you engaged till the end, but nothing spectacular. Works to enforce the lore of the Dead Space universe but is a bit similar to the first book and not much new.
Nick Raines
Finished with this one, it dragged here and there but all in all it was a decent book. If you like the Dead Space games then it is worth a read to get another experiment on the marker gone wrong, insanity and suicide rates increase exponentially in the secret prison colony after the marker gains power. We get two perspectives in this story, one is Istvan who is chosen by the marker to be a prophet of sorts and Jensi his brother who has to scour the universe after his brother is sent to the secre ...more
Travis Smith
Not as good as the authors first take on Dead Space with "Martyr" but an excellent read.
Nate
Not bad. A perfectly reasonable addition to the Dead Space mythos. I did think that the book took longer than necessary to get to the action, although the writing was strong enough to keep me interested as the pieces were put into place. The action was pretty good, though. My biggest complaint, I think, would be that several plot threads were left dangling at the end of the book. The main character's plot resolved, but several side plots remained. I would have preferred that everything introduce ...more
Erik Tharp
If you love DeadSpace series then you wont be disapointed. Brian Evenson did a very well job at writing this novel and kept the suspense going, a bit of a slow start but thats just good character build up, kinda disapointed tho since this book left things unaswered just like the first. And like the first MARTYR the end is left up to your imagination to conclude what actually happens next. My hope is that this is just still the begining of many more of these tales from the DeadSpace series...... ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
I was quite torn on this book. On its own it's an entertaining horror novel, as a Dead Space book it leaves a bit to be desired. It does take quite a while to get going. For the first 200 pages it was hard to realize the book was even science fiction, let alone a Dead Space novel. That's not to say that it's boring or unenjoyable, it just didn't fit with what I was expecting. Also this book doesn't seem to add very much to the Dead Space universe, unlike the first book. It was mildly disappointi ...more
Matthew Ye
This book is good but it could have been better. The story about Jensi and Istvan was good at first but the ending is a disappointing ending. I would prefer to had the story had a little bit with Issac Clarke. But in all, it was a good story.
John Purdy
Creepy and heartless like it should be.
Aaron Weber
Catalyst for me didn't have as much purpose as Martyr but instead turned out to be just another story within the Dead Space universe that was fairly written.

If you're looking for more Dead Space you will certainly find it here, but don't expect the next Isaac or Altman.
Jonathan
Not bad, but not great. For the most part, it does emulate a similar atmosphere for the first two games. But there is something about the general writing style that falls short of its predecessor and source material.
Aubrie
It was a slow, but interesting book. Very much a psychological thriller, just as the games are. The climax makes the wait worth the while, and the ending leaves you wondering what happens next.
Vicki-shawn
Interesting but not amazing, actually kind of redundant, and the ending was disappointing. Honestly I would say the only reason i'm giving it 3 stars is because it is dead space.
Brandt
Really slow in some parts, especially in the first third. Many unanswered plot points.

Taken alone this book adds very little to the Dead Space universe.
That ending really cut off abruptly. Good, but everything came to such a sudden stop in the hopes of setting up an ambiguous ending. Boy was it ambiguous.
Andy Wood
Nowhere near as good as Dead Space Martyr. This book was very slow moving and didn't really add anything new to the existing canon.
Will
Was OK. Felt briefer than Martyr and also had a lack of depth in the characters. Good pace of narrative though.
Jim Tollefson
Slow burn, built through-out. Felt it closed up a bit too quickly, but the circumstances allowed it!
Andrew
Interesting read and an excellent book but doesn't really add anything to the story line unlike the last one.
Victor Vigo
If your a Dead Space fan I think you may enjoy this. If your not a fan you definently skip this.
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Dead Space: Liberation
  • Dead Space
  • Alan Wake
  • Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Darksiders: The Abomination Vault
  • Sons of Liberty
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • The Infernal City
  • Devils' Due (StarCraft II, #2)
  • Underworld  (Resident Evil, #4)
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Halo: Uprising
  • BioShock: Rapture
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)

Dead Space (5 books)
  • Dead Space
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Dead Space Salvage
  • Dead Space: Liberation
Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1) Aliens: No Exit Martyr (Dead Space) Halo: Evolutions: Essential Tales of the Halo Universe Halo: Evolutions Volume I